Does Homeschooling Matter? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Malist

New

Does Homeschooling Matter?

Post by Malist » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 am

Hey everyone,

I'm not a URM in the traditional sense but I was home schooled until high school and grew up on a farm. Is homeschooling something that would possibly give me a slight bump in the admission process at HYS or is it more likely that it won't have an impact at all?

Searched for info on how it impacts admission chances in general but couldn't really find anything on TLS (or anywhere else for that matter). My numbers are 172/4.1 from a small public university in the South.

Thanks.

LoganCouture

Gold

Re: Does Homeschooling Matter?

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Probably a question that's better suited for the "What are my chances?" or "Law School Admissions" forums but I will give it a shot.

I don't think being homeschooled is a positive. The rural/farm life thing probably could be worked into an interesting PS if you so choose. Neither of these things are exceptional/outstanding softs, so you shouldn't expect it to impact your cycle.

My opinion:

You're almost assuredly in at Harvard. Yale and Stanford are less certain but Stanford likes those high GPAs so I'd expect a > 50% chance there.

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 am

Depending on how you frame your essay, I think home schooling and growing up on a farm could work in your favor. For example, if you wrote about how home schooling helped you develop and pursue your interests/passions and enabled you to excel academically by letting you learn at your own pace, that would be good. Also talking about the independence, responsibility, and maturity that you may have developed from home schooling on a farm would look good. I think mentioning being home schooled will either a) help you or b) not impact your changes of admission, but I def don't think it should hurt you. However, I think this fits better in a personal statement rather than a diversity one. Also, with your scores, I'm sure you'll do well whatever you decide to do. Best of luck from a fellow home schooler!

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:56 pm

(Not URM.) Was also homeschooled for several grades growing up, since my family traveled a lot. Didn't incorporate it into PS/250, though - just listed it when asked about "high school attended" on the LSAC app. Ended up getting into YH (wasn't asked about it in JS1).

Idk if this is helpful, but just thought I'd give you another data point.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:I think mentioning being home schooled will either a) help you or b) not impact your changes of admission, but I def don't think it should hurt you.
This. I also don't think it will matter that much whether this ends up in a DS or a PS, just so long as you get it out there.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”