AA Male, 3.2, 164 Input appreciated Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JamaicanSaiyan8

New

AA Male, 3.2, 164 Input appreciated

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:42 pm

AA Male
164(2nd take)

I'm curious if it's worth retaking during the Dec administration or should I just proceed with my applications as is. It would be my 3rd take(consecutive takes) so would that have any bearing on how my application is perceived? Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: AA Male, 3.2, 164 Input appreciated

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Unless you are prep testing at like a 170+ then it's not worth it. With your GPA the way it is you'd have to get a score in that range to be admitted to schools that would put you in a significantly better position than you're in now (HYS). Right now you'll get into good top 14s but probably not Columbia, Chicago, Boalt or HYS. Anywhere else you have a good shot. If you are cool with NYC jobs you have a good chance at NYU and Penn as is--which is good enough. The only thing is the money issue. A 168 or so might do you better there but that's such a slim margin from where you are that I wouldn't put myself through the extra stress if you aren't preptesting in 170s. Good luck.

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

First off, I'm honored that Batman himself replied to my post.
I was preptesting in the 168-172 range under timed conditions so I do believe I am more than capable of hitting those numbers but as you said the extra stress/studying with retaking in December is probably not worth the cost. I agree that my GPA probably precludes me from acceptances at some of the higher tiered school but NYU and UPenn are some of my top choices.
Would a 3rd take be viewed negatively by admission officers?
Would it make sense to pay for a tutor/structured course to improve my score since all I've been doing so far is self study.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 pm

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:First off, I'm honored that Batman himself replied to my post.
I was preptesting in the 168-172 range under timed conditions so I do believe I am more than capable of hitting those numbers but as you said the extra stress/studying with retaking in December is probably not worth the cost. I agree that my GPA probably precludes me from acceptances at some of the higher tiered school but NYU and UPenn are some of my top choices.
Would a 3rd take be viewed negatively by admission officers?
Would it make sense to pay for a tutor/structured course to improve my score since all I've been doing so far is self study.
Huh? Dude if you're hitting 170+ in PTs, retake. If anything it'll probably up your scholly money. Don't sell yourself short.

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Yes that's what I figured as well. It really hurts to have wasted a perfect LG score on the Sept admin of the test. I'm leaning towards taking but I was really just concerned about the perception of 3 takes.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:24 pm

If you're prepping in the 168-172 range I would go very hard on nothing but timed preptests under test like conditions (i.e. not in your bedroom). I might even consider the tutor. You just need that little push to get you over the edge to where you can replicate that performance in test conditions. A score in that range will make a notable difference on either the school you get into or the money you get (maybe both).

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks a lot for you advice and I will take the December lsat because there is a lot more to gain than lose.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”