Do URMs get a boost at schools not in the top 30? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mjvance2

New

Do URMs get a boost at schools not in the top 30?

Post by Mjvance2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 pm

I know URMs get a boost at a lot of the top law schools, but what about the schools in the bottom of the first tier? Does anyone have any ideas?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Re: Do URMs get a boost at schools not in the top 30?

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Mjvance2 wrote:I know URMs get a boost at a lot of the top law schools, but what about the schools in the bottom of the first tier? Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, but I wouldn't go to a T-30 unless its a strong regional or gives you lots of $$$.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:49 pm

Mjvance2 wrote:I know URMs get a boost at a lot of the top law schools, but what about the schools in the bottom of the first tier? Does anyone have any ideas?
URMs get a boost basically everywhere, but if you are in a position where, with the boost, 25+ is your best option without considering scholarships, you should take a step back and make sure law school is exactly what you want to do (That advice would apply to everyone equal, including non-URMs)

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:59 pm

The question should arise as to why you'd be interested in a lower ranked school. If you have a 3.0-ish GPA, are super debt-adverse, have strong ties to a secondary market, etc. then obviously a lower ranked school could be a great way to go.

To answer your question more directly, yes, URMs get "the boost" at lower ranked schools. The question you should probably be asking, though, is should that matter to you?

Mjvance2

New

Post by Mjvance2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am

twenty wrote:The question should arise as to why you'd be interested in a lower ranked school. If you have a 3.0-ish GPA, are super debt-adverse, have strong ties to a secondary market, etc. then obviously a lower ranked school could be a great way to go.

To answer your question more directly, yes, URMs get "the boost" at lower ranked schools. The question you should probably be asking, though, is should that matter to you?
To answer your question, all three apply. I'm married with a young child and uprooting my family's life would not be ideal. I would like to attend the university of houston where I live, but am not sure if that is the best decision. While it is not ideal to move, that's not to say I wouldn't consider it. I just took the June LSAT so I'm awaiting my score, but I'm hoping to get my desired score in the low/mid 160s. That would put me right in the 75% LSAT percentile for Houston, but I don't know how much in scholarships that could possibly get me.

I've heard that URMs have revived generous scholarships from T-14 schools with similar LSAT numbers, but I don't know if the same holds for lesser schools. I would like to stay close to home if I received a good scholarship, but I was just wondering if that was likely.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Mjvance2 wrote:
twenty wrote:The question should arise as to why you'd be interested in a lower ranked school. If you have a 3.0-ish GPA, are super debt-adverse, have strong ties to a secondary market, etc. then obviously a lower ranked school could be a great way to go.

To answer your question, all three apply. I'm married with a young child and uprooting my family's life would not be ideal. I would like to attend the university of houston where I live, but am not sure if that is the best decision. While it is not ideal to move, that's not to say I wouldn't consider it. I just took the June LSAT so I'm awaiting my score, but I'm hoping to get my desired score in the low/mid 160s. That would put me right in the 75% LSAT percentile for Houston, but I don't know how much in scholarships that could possibly get me.

I've heard that URMs have revived generous scholarships from T-14 schools with similar LSAT numbers, but I don't know if the same holds for lesser schools. I would like to stay close to home if I received a good scholarship, but I was just wondering if that was likely.

UT Austin has a 10K housing stipend if you're a Texas resident and accepted via early decision.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:50 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
Mjvance2 wrote:

UT Austin has a 10K housing stipend if you're a Texas resident and accepted via early decision.
This might still leave the OP like 120K in debt (depending on family contribution). It's highly questionable whether UT is worth that much debt (I would argue it's not). Also, Austin is about 2.5 hours from Houston. Also, we don't know what the OP's career goals are.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah, but you don't want to ED to UT Austin, especially if you're fairly debt adverse. Houston should give you a lot of money - I'd do that.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:18 am

twenty wrote:Yeah, but you don't want to ED to UT Austin, especially if you're fairly debt adverse. Houston should give you a lot of money - I'd do that.
I wouldn't. I would recommend UH only if you know you want to stay in Houston and graduate without a single penny of debt.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:43 pm

He's already said he's pretty debt averse and wants to attend Houston/ideally not move.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm

twenty wrote:He's already said he's pretty debt averse and wants to attend Houston/ideally not move.
Well receiving "a lot" of money is not the same as not incurring a single penny of debt. I know OP wants to stay in Houston so UH could be a legit option but I'm just recommending NO debt vs. little debt. OP if you're AA and have a realistic shot at a mid-160 LSAT this time around you can probably get to UH for free, either with this score or a retake.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”