On hold at Columbia Law, does that mean I have a chance?! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
prostate

New

On hold at Columbia Law, does that mean I have a chance?!

Post by prostate » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:16 pm

163/3.32, average softs for an URM (socio-economic disadvantages mixed with familial adversity). I was very ready for a denial from Columbia, and most sources say that a hold is identical to a denial. Nevertheless I am full of hope and I am wondering what I could say in my LOCI to give myself a chance for that one lucky seat. I mean, with my numbers I should have been outright denied, but I am thinking that my essays made a slight difference and maybe a well crafted LOCI could do the same. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cocoblues

Bronze

Re: On hold at Columbia Law, does that mean I have a chance?!

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 pm

A hold is not the same as a denial because you still have a chance to make a strong case for your admission. You should highlight any significant achievements that have occurred since you submitted your app (promotion, graduation, awards,etc...). Also, research programs at Columbia that would fit your career goals, and specify how you in turn could contribute to enhancing the classroom experience.

Good luck!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:48 am

prostate wrote:163/3.32, average softs for an URM (socio-economic disadvantages mixed with familial adversity). I was very ready for a denial from Columbia, and most sources say that a hold is identical to a denial. Nevertheless I am full of hope and I am wondering what I could say in my LOCI to give myself a chance for that one lucky seat. I mean, with my numbers I should have been outright denied, but I am thinking that my essays made a slight difference and maybe a well crafted LOCI could do the same. Any advice would be appreciated.
I understand what you mean, especially about being outright denied from admissions.

I also have the same question: how does one send in a LOCI and when does one do so if he or she is on hold?

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:30 am

Last year I just sent them an E-mail basically giving them an update as to what I was up to and honors achieved. I got in about a month later.

Cthon

New

Post by Cthon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:34 pm

prostate wrote:163/3.32, average softs for an URM (socio-economic disadvantages mixed with familial adversity). I was very ready for a denial from Columbia, and most sources say that a hold is identical to a denial. Nevertheless I am full of hope and I am wondering what I could say in my LOCI to give myself a chance for that one lucky seat. I mean, with my numbers I should have been outright denied, but I am thinking that my essays made a slight difference and maybe a well crafted LOCI could do the same. Any advice would be appreciated.
Just curious, when did you send in your application?

Because I have roughly the same stats as you, but I haven't heard anything back. (164, 3.27, AA Male) But I sent in my application late, close to the deadline.

prostate

New

Post by prostate » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Cthon wrote:
Just curious, when did you send in your application?

Because I have roughly the same stats as you, but I haven't heard anything back. (164, 3.27, AA Male) But I sent in my application late, close to the deadline.
I sent my application on 1/18 and went complete on 2/12 got the decision e-mail on 3/24

prostate

New

Post by prostate » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Cocoblues wrote:A hold is not the same as a denial because you still have a chance to make a strong case for your admission. You should highlight any significant achievements that have occurred since you submitted your app (promotion, graduation, awards,etc...). Also, research programs at Columbia that would fit your career goals, and specify how you in turn could contribute to enhancing the classroom experience.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. I graduated from college in May last year and have only been working and saving money in an attempt to avoid starvation when I start in the fall :lol: Thats to say that I haven't made any notable acheivements since I applied. But I have found a couple of their programs that may fit my career objectives and I will mention those. Thanks for the help.

prostate

New

Post by prostate » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:Last year I just sent them an E-mail basically giving them an update as to what I was up to and honors achieved. I got in about a month later.
Congratulations! If I am not prying too much, what did you say in your LOCI?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 pm

i wish the best for you, and there are exceptions like the one above, but holds at columbia almost never get in. year after year columbia accepts just enough or too many people the first time and doesn't use the hold list. even if they do, they take only a few people from a very large list. you're right to have low expectations.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu May 01, 2014 9:30 am

soj wrote:i wish the best for you, and there are exceptions like the one above, but holds at columbia almost never get in. year after year columbia accepts just enough or too many people the first time and doesn't use the hold list. even if they do, they take only a few people from a very large list. you're right to have low expectations.
Is that also true for Northwestern?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu May 01, 2014 10:41 am

jacketyellow wrote:
soj wrote:i wish the best for you, and there are exceptions like the one above, but holds at columbia almost never get in. year after year columbia accepts just enough or too many people the first time and doesn't use the hold list. even if they do, they take only a few people from a very large list. you're right to have low expectations.
Is that also true for Northwestern?
I don't know. I haven't followed NU admissions, but it seems like a good number get in off the waitlist.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Thu May 01, 2014 11:08 am

I think this year NU over admitted before their first deposit deadline.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”