AA male needs advice on where to apply! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mt2165

Silver

AA male needs advice on where to apply!

Post by mt2165 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Hey guys so just got my lsat score back its a 163. I have a 3.65 GPA. I had planned on blanketing the top 14 with wustl and Vanderbilt on the list. Should I drop HYS? And what do you think are my chances? Also I'm a division 1 athlete.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: AA male needs advice on where to apply!

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:30 pm

mt2165 wrote:Hey guys so just got my lsat score back its a 163. I have a 3.65 GPA. I had planned on blanketing the top 14 with wustl and Vanderbilt on the list. Should I drop HYS? And what do you think are my chances? Also I'm a division 1 athlete.
Enjoy HYS.

Seriously though, if you're worried at all you should blanket the T14, but you'll probably end up in at least one of HYS and getting offered $$$ from CCN.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks! Really that optimistic though? I would think that level of optimism would be more warranted if I got a 165+.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Bump please.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm

mt2165 wrote:Bump please.
You've already received the credited response. YS probably isn't going to happen, but H is much more likely than not, especially with apps continuing to decline. Worst case scenarios: you're at Columbia at sticker (less need based aid), Chicago with $30k+, or NYU with really good money

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 pm

mt2165 wrote:Thanks! Really that optimistic though? I would think that level of optimism would be more warranted if I got a 165+.
I don't remember the exact number of AA males who score 160+ per year, but it's well under 100. The T14 will fight over any of them who don't have serious red flags, and at leaar consider those who do. Expect fat envelopes bearing offers of $$$.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:18 am

Oh ok thanks y'all. Another question, one of my letter of recommendation writers is really screwing me over and I can't get a hold of him. The rest of my applications are done. Can I send in my applications and wait to send the last letter? And if not if I don't get them until maybe the end of next week could that possibly hurt me?

Cthon

New

Post by Cthon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 am

vanwinkle wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Thanks! Really that optimistic though? I would think that level of optimism would be more warranted if I got a 165+.
I don't remember the exact number of AA males who score 160+ per year, but it's well under 100. The T14 will fight over any of them who don't have serious red flags, and at leaar consider those who do. Expect fat envelopes bearing offers of $$$.
As much as I read this on this forum, I always struggle to believe it. Like, its hard to believe that 160/161+ puts an African American male in the top 80 or so of 4200 or so test takers(I'm staring at the Black and Law School by the numbers thread alongside this). My 161, though abysmally below what I consider myself capable, though I'm deeply disappointed in the score and feel embarrassed by it, looks relatively great to law schools. Like, they have the exact opposite perception.

Maybe that's because I see 165+ scores thrown around so casually on this forum, since there's a selection bias for higher scores and TLS seems like the niche for those of us trying to achieve our best.

blows my mind everytime

Anyways, at what point do you think a GPA becomes low enough to be a red flag for law schools(And is this point dependent mostly on the school's medians)?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”