AA Male: 3.75, 153 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Irundistance

New

AA Male: 3.75, 153

Post by Irundistance » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Recieved a 153 on my LSAT. Not retaking since I self-studied and took a prep course, so I'm satisfied with my score, I gave it my all. I wanted to know what schools I should be shooting for from the following:
Boston College
Uc Davis
Tennesee
Wake forest
Minnesota
WashU STL
Iowa
Hastings
Ucla
Fordham
University of Washington
USC
Cornell
Georgetown
Loyola (Los Angeles)
Temple
Southwestern

I'm from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background
Numerous honors and awards
Athlete throughout college
Bilingual
Volunteer work

Thanks for your input!!

90convoy

Silver

Re: AA Male: 3.75, 153

Post by 90convoy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:22 pm

What do you mean by "I gave it my all"?

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

153 is my best effort. Should've clarified that, don't want to sound superficial. I hired a tutor and everything.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Irundistance wrote:153 is my best effort. Should've clarified that, don't want to sound superficial. I hired a tutor and everything.
Retake.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Irundistance wrote:153 is my best effort. Should've clarified that, don't want to sound superficial. I hired a tutor and everything.
That kind of excuse won't fly on this forum dude. The only advice you'll get here is to re-take. In your case, that's good advice given the fact that this is your first try and your score is not very high.

As for where you stand now:

Boston College
Uc Davis
Tennesee
Wake forest
Minnesota
WashU STL
Iowa
Hastings
Fordham
University of Washington
Loyola (LA)
Temple

Those are the schools I would target based on your numbers and the value they offer. You should have a shot at getting into a couple of these.

Again, a re-take is a good idea for you. You've got a very good GPA. If you got your score up to 160 (which should be the bare minimum target any AA looking for a T-14 shoots for), you'd have a pretty solid chance at everything from the bottom half of the T-14 down. Schools like UT-austin, Vandy and USC would become very likely and would possibly offer some money as well. You'd also have an outside chance at a T6.
Even if you just miss the 160 target and only managed a 156-158, you'd still have a strong chance at some lower T-14s (Cornell, Georgetown).

You've got a lot to gain with just 3-5 points on a re-take, so you really ought to think about it.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and pile on here.

RETAKE

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose (except the $160 to sign up for the LSAT).

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Retake. What prep course did you take? How did you study? Just because you hired a tutor doesn't mean he was effective or sufficient to raise your LSAT score. I know it sucks but you already put 4 yrs to get that gpa, what more is a couple of months to get an LSAT score that will go with that gpa?

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
That kind of excuse won't fly on this forum dude. The only advice you'll get here is to re-take. In your case, that's good advice given the fact that this is your first try and your score is not very high.

As for where you stand now:

Boston College
Uc Davis
Tennesee
Wake forest
Minnesota
WashU STL
Iowa
Hastings
Fordham
University of Washington
Loyola (LA)
Temple

Those are the schools I would target based on your numbers and the value they offer. You should have a shot at getting into a couple of these.

Again, a re-take is a good idea for you. You've got a very good GPA. If you got your score up to 160 (which should be the bare minimum target any AA looking for a T-14 shoots for), you'd have a pretty solid chance at everything from the bottom half of the T-14 down. Schools like UT-austin, Vandy and USC would become very likely and would possibly offer some money as well. You'd also have an outside chance at a T6.
Even if you just miss the 160 target and only managed a 156-158, you'd still have a strong chance at some lower T-14s (Cornell, Georgetown).

You've got a lot to gain with just 3-5 points on a re-take, so you really ought to think about it.
Yeah, I get you. It just sucks having to go through that hellish experience again lol. I was scored a few pts higher on my best practice test, timing was my biggest issue.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 pm

This is probably the first and only time I will post in a thread where someone asks what schools to go to when the obvious answer is retake.

If you think the LSAT is hard, law school is going to destroy your face. You think a couple months of studying for a 3 hour standardized test is hard? Try studying for a 3 DAY bar exam. Get the fuck back to your LSAT books.

*drops mic on stage*

But seriously, I'm posting this because there is actually hope for you. Right now you are on a pretty iffy trajectory, but 10 more points on the LSAT gives you a good shot at a great career as an attorney. There was some guy on here asking about what to do with his 2.66 and 146. The only answer there is don't go to law school, ever. He probably won't listen to that advice and will carry debt with him forever.

You, on the other hand, are only a 3 hour test and the balls to keep studying away from going to a good school. If you are half as smart as you think you are, retake.
Last edited by Mroberts3 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Retake. What prep course did you take? How did you study? Just because you hired a tutor doesn't mean he was effective or sufficient to raise your LSAT score. I know it sucks but you already put 4 yrs to get that gpa, what more is a couple of months to get an LSAT score that will go with that gpa?
I took a course with Blueprint. After the tutor, my score increased a couple of points. I did all the class hw and drilled question types. How did you all increase your scores?

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:This is probably the first and only time I will post in a thread where someone asks what schools to go to when the obvious answer is retake.

If you think the LSAT is hard, law school is going to destroy your face. You think a couple months of studying for a 3 hour standardized test is hard? Try studying for a 3 DAY bar exam. Get the fuck back to your LSAT books.

*drops mic on stage*

But seriously, I'm posting this because there is actually hope for you. Right now you are on a pretty iffy trajectory, but 10 more points on the LSAT gives you a good shot at a great career as an attorney. There was some guy on here asking about what to do with his 2.66 and 146. The only answer there is don't go to law school, ever. He probably won't listen to that advice and will carry debt with him forever.

You, on the other hand, are only a 3 hour test and the balls to keep studying away from going to a good school. If you are half as smart as you think you are, retake.
You're completely right....back to the books I go.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Irundistance wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:This is probably the first and only time I will post in a thread where someone asks what schools to go to when the obvious answer is retake.

*drops mic on stage*

You're completely right....back to the books I go.
Glad to hear. :) Good luck!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:31 am

Christ, you people are condescending...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:33 am

[
You should obviously post in threads like this more often 8)

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 am

El Principe wrote:Christ, you people are condescending...
The more time I spend on TLS (both in this forum and in others), the more I've come to think that this is just the norm in the legal world. The stereotypes about legal students being a generally condescending, pretentious bunch are not without merit (and I won't exclude myself from those stereotypes either).

That being said, most of the advice in this thread is on point.

*drops mic on stage*
While I agree that the OP is best served by getting back to LSAT prep, I'm not sure I like the one-to-one comparison between the LSAT and the Bar exam. While both require substantial investment and preparation, they do not seem to require the same kind of preparation. The LSAT strikes me as a test that is a bit more concerned with testing abstract cognitive skills than most other examinations, and that can pose unique challenges to some students who may have an easier time preparing for less abstract examinations. Other students, meanwhile, thrive on trhe more abstract approach and do better preparing for the LSAT than they do for other examinations.

To each their own. OP needs to push through this challenge and hit the books again as we've all said, but there's no need to cuss him out for finding the LSAT particularly difficult to get ready for.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:41 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:
The more time I spend on TLS (both in this forum and in others), the more I've come to think that this is just the norm in the legal world. The stereotypes about legal students being a generally condescending, pretentious bunch are not without merit (and I won't exclude myself from those stereotypes either).

That being said, most of the advice in this thread is on point.

*drops mic on stage*
While I agree that the OP is best served by getting back to LSAT prep, I'm not sure I like the one-to-one comparison between the LSAT and the Bar exam. While both require substantial investment and preparation, they do not seem to require the same kind of preparation. The LSAT strikes me as a test that is a bit more concerned with testing abstract cognitive skills than most other examinations, and that can pose unique challenges to some students who may have an easier time preparing for less abstract examinations. Other students, meanwhile, thrive on trhe more abstract approach and do better preparing for the LSAT than they do for other examinations.

To each their own. OP needs to push through this challenge and hit the books again as we've all said, but there's no need to cuss him out for finding the LSAT particularly difficult to get ready for.
My post was admittedly (and intentionally) over the top. But the serious underlying point was simply that a 3 hour test, pound for pound, has more of an impact on one's future in than pretty much anything that comes after it. If one isn't willing to take the test again after getting a 153, then what does that say about his or her ability to face more significant obstacles? The technical comparison between the bar and the lsat isn't that important in my mind.

Again, this advice is basically irrelevant to someone with a terrible GPA. But a 3.75 is a terrible thing to waste, especially if the OP can nudge his score up even just a little. Sounds like he is one of the rare few that is self aware enough to take unpleasant news (the thought of retaking) to heart rather than simply defending his position against everyone's advice.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Some people around TLS are, for sure. But the main reason people shout retake from the rooftops isn't to patronize the OP--quite the opposite. I clicked on this link because I wanted to encourage him. Without even having met him, I believe he can and will do better. It turns out I arrived too late and other people here had convinced him to retake already. But I think we all only bothered to reply because potential is a terrible thing to waste. Not because we are condescending.

Anyway, best of luck, OP. :)

0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:53 pm

If you can get past the 157 mark, you're in a much better place. But if you insist on not retaking, you probably will get into one or two Top 30's. Not sure about money though.

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Coming from a URM who is limited because of my GPA, please retake. If you still don't score above a 160, retake again.

You literally have the world in your hands if you get above a 165.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Naa
Kool-Aid wrote:Coming from a URM who is limited because of my GPA, please retake. If you still don't score above a 160, retake again.

You literally have the world in your hands if you get above a 165.

This. That GPA is t14 worthy. Don't go to law school till you r lsat matches

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
Some people around TLS are, for sure. But the main reason people shout retake from the rooftops isn't to patronize the OP--quite the opposite. I clicked on this link because I wanted to encourage him. Without even having met him, I believe he can and will do better. It turns out I arrived too late and other people here had convinced him to retake already. But I think we all only bothered to reply because potential is a terrible thing to waste. Not because we are condescending.

Right. TLS posters don't gain anything by telling people to retake. However, now that many posters have gone to law school, looked for jobs, racked up debt, and better understand the climate for entry level lawyers, we want to offer expertise and advice. OP should retake because it could mean a T14 acceptance, tens of thousands of dollars, or potentially both.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:32 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:

Right. TLS posters don't gain anything by telling people to retake. However, now that many posters have gone to law school, looked for jobs, racked up debt, and better understand the climate for entry level lawyers, we want to offer expertise and advice. OP should retake because it could mean a T14 acceptance, HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars, or potentially both.
FTFY

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Retake. Nevertheless, your current numbers should yield multiple acceptances from the listed schools in your original post.

PuertoBlack

New

Post by PuertoBlack » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 pm

OP:"Hello everyone, what are my chances at these schools, please don't talk about retaking"

EVERYONE: "LOL, whut's reading comprehension? RETAKE"

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”