Fisher v U. Of Texas Decision Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Typhoon24

Silver

Fisher v U. Of Texas Decision

Post by Typhoon24 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

Seems like this was a landslide defeat. 7-1 for the petitioner. The fifth circuit is vacated and remanded.

Here's the opinion.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12 ... 5_l5gm.pdf

The good news for us URMs is that Grutter v Bollinger (2003) was not overruled, meaning race can still be used as a factor in admissions. It seems that the justices felt that fisher did not follow the same standards of strict scrutiny as Grutter did. If I got something wrong, pls correct me.

Please check out scotusblog.com for updates.
Last edited by Typhoon24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

jrd93

New

Re: Fisher v U. Of Texas Decision

Post by jrd93 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 am

Most. def.

I've been waiting 8 months for the decision and thank god!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:48 am

It's not really a defeat for anyone but the lower courts - it expresses no opinion at all on the merits of the UT admissions program, only holds that the lower courts didn't properly hold the University to a strict scrutiny standard. No opinion is offered about whether the program actually meets strict scrutiny.

AmoryB

Bronze

Post by AmoryB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's not really a defeat for anyone but the lower courts - it expresses no opinion at all on the merits of the UT admissions program, only holds that the lower courts didn't properly hold the University to a strict scrutiny standard. No opinion is offered about whether the program actually meets strict scrutiny.
This. The court essentially punted it. You could maybe see this as a very, very tiny step away from AA because the Court is ensuring that lower courts apply strict scrutiny in it's fullest form - i.e. compelling interest and narrowly tailored means & no quotas, not just deferring to the good faith decisions of the admissions programs - but this really isn't anything new. It doesn't add anything to the equation not already provided by Grutter, Gratz, and Parents Involved. Kennedy just put the ball on the tee and then stopped short.

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Oops wrong forum..

Will take this to the lounge.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't see anything changing here except that the 5th Circuit is the new 9th Circuit.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 pm

jrd93 wrote:Most. def.

anubis1911

Bronze

Post by anubis1911 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Well for someone applying this cycle, this appears to be an act of divine intervention! :D

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:08 pm

lol at "landslide defeat."
Last edited by blurbz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm

blurbz wrote:lol at "landslide defeat." Did you even read it? Maybe even a headline about it?

Landslide defeat refers to the 7-1 ruling instead of the projected 5-3.

mojangles

Bronze

Post by mojangles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 pm

jrd93 wrote:Most. def.

A-Modest-Proposal

New

Post by A-Modest-Proposal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 pm

Yeah I would not call this a victory or defeat for either side. Nor would I go so far to claim anything was a "landslide" anything.

As far as AA is concerned, this is "technically" a set-back insofar as the old standard is no longer sufficient and universities may no longer enjoy the leeway they once did with their diversity programs. At the same time, we were all aware of the possible disaster that this could have resulted in.Grutter was not stricken down, so everyone on this forum definitely gave a collective sigh of relief.

If anything, the future just seems really uncertain. In the fall, SCOTUS is suppose to hear another AA case concerning the overturning of Proposition 2 in Michigan in Schuette v. Coalition. If I am not mistaken, I believe a lower court struck down Prop 2 - so how will the SCOTUS deal with this? Will they say strict scrutiny was not applied in this case? And with Fischer v. Texas, how long will it be before the appellate court re-evaluates the case, and will we be right back at square one with the SCOTUS once again having to deal with it?

Now more than ever, everything just seems more opaque and I would be hesitant for anyone on either side of the debate to claim "victory" or "defeat." This cycle of URMs may be lucky enough to still get the boost, but to whether or not it will be the same impact is uncertain. And who knows, this cycle could be the last to receive the significant boost that past URMs have received.

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am

I hope to see a day where we no longer need to factor in race as a factor (even if it is insignificant) to admissions.

jackmf419

New

Post by jackmf419 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 pm

A-Modest-Proposal wrote:Yeah I would not call this a victory or defeat for either side. Nor would I go so far to claim anything was a "landslide" anything.

As far as AA is concerned, this is "technically" a set-back insofar as the old standard is no longer sufficient and universities may no longer enjoy the leeway they once did with their diversity programs. At the same time, we were all aware of the possible disaster that this could have resulted in.Grutter was not stricken down, so everyone on this forum definitely gave a collective sigh of relief.

If anything, the future just seems really uncertain. In the fall, SCOTUS is suppose to hear another AA case concerning the overturning of Proposition 2 in Michigan in Schuette v. Coalition. If I am not mistaken, I believe a lower court struck down Prop 2 - so how will the SCOTUS deal with this? Will they say strict scrutiny was not applied in this case? And with Fischer v. Texas, how long will it be before the appellate court re-evaluates the case, and will we be right back at square one with the SCOTUS once again having to deal with it?

Now more than ever, everything just seems more opaque and I would be hesitant for anyone on either side of the debate to claim "victory" or "defeat." This cycle of URMs may be lucky enough to still get the boost, but to whether or not it will be the same impact is uncertain. And who knows, this cycle could be the last to receive the significant boost that past URMs have received.
I believe you missed the point completely here. this ruling should in-fact change nothing. the judge wrote that in all matters which race is used judiciary oversight is required- and that a strict level of scrutiny should be applied to all such cases to ensure that they are meeting the narrowly defined governmental interest trying to be furthered- in this case diversity among the student body. The judge ruled that the lower court took the U of T at their word that their admission program was doing this- and didn't apply strict scrutiny. this case was not in anyway punted down the road- it was resent back to the lower courts with the instructions that they must apply strict scrutiny- this has been the case all along- this ruling in fact changes nothing for URM either this cycle or any following cycles- now if the lower court upon applying strict scrutiny finds that the admission program goes beyond the narrowly defined objectives of inserting diversity into the student body- then there will be something here. but as it stands this case is one that has little if any significance.

A-Modest-Proposal

New

Post by A-Modest-Proposal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 pm

jackmf419 wrote:
A-Modest-Proposal wrote:Yeah I would not call this a victory or defeat for either side. Nor would I go so far to claim anything was a "landslide" anything.

I believe you missed the point completely here. this ruling should in-fact change nothing. the judge wrote that in all matters which race is used judiciary oversight is required- and that a strict level of scrutiny should be applied to all such cases to ensure that they are meeting the narrowly defined governmental interest trying to be furthered- in this case diversity among the student body. The judge ruled that the lower court took the U of T at their word that their admission program was doing this- and didn't apply strict scrutiny. this case was not in anyway punted down the road- it was resent back to the lower courts with the instructions that they must apply strict scrutiny- this has been the case all along- this ruling in fact changes nothing for URM either this cycle or any following cycles- now if the lower court upon applying strict scrutiny finds that the admission program goes beyond the narrowly defined objectives of inserting diversity into the student body- then there will be something here. but as it stands this case is one that has little if any significance.
You do realize when you say "it was resent back to the lower courts with the instructions that they must apply strict scrutiny" that essentially means "punted" right? So I didn't miss the point, but I believe you missed mine. My point was nothing at this point is clear. If the SCOTUS had made a ruling, and I mean a definitive "thumbs up, thumbs down" ruling, the future of AA would be more certain and all current and future applicants could be more strategic about their college plans. I get that them sending it to the lower courts for re-evaluation changes nothing, and I get that that works to THIS cycle's advantage - but that was not the concern I was raising.

There will be many more cycles after the 2013-2014 one, and where my concern lie is with their ability to access AA in both undergrad and law school. We do not know for certain what strict scrutiny in the case of AA will look like. In the past it was all done in good-faith, which is definitely a much lower bar to hop. Moreover, in the event that the appellate courts uphold AA, will the SCOTUS hear it again? As I said, it's very unclear.

Nobody can say for certain what the future of AA will be. But to claim that the punt by the SCOTUS was a victory, seems very nearsighted imo.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”