Chance AA Male Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ChasingGoals

New

Chance AA Male

Post by ChasingGoals » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello this is for my friend at my School...

Top 30 National University
Transfer 1st Year Current GPA 2.86 Economics Major Downward trend but claims should be Upward Senior Year 3.1-3.4 Cumulative
2 Year Community College GPA 3.50

Will they average his total GPA or will the CC GPA be considered less indicative then his University GPA?

What schools depending on his GPA his last year would he be eligible for T-14 or worst?

Some other notes He's debating staying an extra semester & getting a Business Minor through our Business School which is quite prestigious to raise his GPA & increase recruiting chances for law schools and top jobs do you think this is necessary ?

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: Chance AA Male

Post by t-14orbust » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:55 pm

We can't really chance the guy without an LSAT score. They will count all his community college and UG credits towards GPA the same- all they care about is cumulative GPA, which includes all college credits taken prior to graduation.

Personally, I think the Business Minor is a good idea, not because it might increase his chances at 'top jobs' but because raising his GPA will improve his chances at top schools.

Even with a 3.3, if he is an AA male and gets 165+, the top 14 is looking like a lock IMO.

ChasingGoals

New

Post by ChasingGoals » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:21 pm

t-14orbust wrote:We can't really chance the guy without an LSAT score. They will count all his community college and UG credits towards GPA the same- all they care about is cumulative GPA, which includes all college credits taken prior to graduation.

Personally, I think the Business Minor is a good idea, not because it might increase his chances at 'top jobs' but because raising his GPA will improve his chances at top schools.

Even with a 3.3, if he is an AA male and gets 165+, the top 14 is looking like a lock IMO.
He hasn't taken the LSAT yet i'm curious when applying to Law Schools will they only see your first 3 years and only by request ask to see your senior year grades because wouldn't make more sense to apply following year start an upward trend? Also are law schools more likely to reject someone twice if they apply multiple times.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Without an LSAT score I doubt any of these guys can do more than tell you what schools he might NOT get into.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:We can't really chance the guy without an LSAT score. They will count all his community college and UG credits towards GPA the same- all they care about is cumulative GPA, which includes all college credits taken prior to graduation.

He hasn't taken the LSAT yet i'm curious when applying to Law Schools will they only see your first 3 years and only by request ask to see your senior year grades because wouldn't make more sense to apply following year start an upward trend? Also are law schools more likely to reject someone twice if they apply multiple times.
It depends on when you apply. If he's applying his senior year of college, then they will judge him based on whatever grades he had on the transcript he submitted, and they usually only ask for senior year grades if the student is accepted or on a waitlist. So yes, it would make more sense to wait to apply if his GPA is not too good and he is on an upward trend, because his LSAC GPA will therefore be higher when they review his application.

For your second question, it won't make any difference if he applies to the same school twice- if anything, I'd imagine his chances might be better because in that year-span between apps he would likely improve on his application.

I hope this answers your questions.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:44 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:1.Will they average his total GPA or will the CC GPA be considered less indicative then his University GPA?

2.What schools depending on his GPA his last year would he be eligible for T-14 or worst?

3.Some other notes He's debating staying an extra semester & getting a Business Minor through our Business School which is quite prestigious to raise his GPA & increase recruiting chances for law schools and top jobs do you think this is necessary ?
1. They average. all that matters is his LSAC GPA. Doesnt matter where he goes to school or how prestigious his program is.

2. pretty much everything is possibly on the table except probably Y. His chances completely depend on his LSAT

3. its not NECESSARY. Necessary means required. However, it would certainly be helpful for him to have a higher LGPA. the whole prestigious program part doesnt matter.Just make sure to tell him to wait to get his BA/BS until after his final semester. Grades after attaining ones BA/BS dont count toward ones LGPA.

ChasingGoals

New

Post by ChasingGoals » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:

It depends on when you apply. If he's applying his senior year of college, then they will judge him based on whatever grades he had on the transcript he submitted, and they usually only ask for senior year grades if the student is accepted or on a waitlist. So yes, it would make more sense to wait to apply if his GPA is not too good and he is on an upward trend, because his LSAC GPA will therefore be higher when they review his application.

For your second question, it won't make any difference if he applies to the same school twice- if anything, I'd imagine his chances might be better because in that year-span between apps he would likely improve on his application.

I hope this answers your questions.
Okay thanks i was also curious wouldn't admissions be more likely to reject applicant if they keep applying ? also say you take lsat score 165 then 170 will they look at the 165 more?

ChasingGoals

New

Post by ChasingGoals » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Nova wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:1.Will they average his total GPA or will the CC GPA be considered less indicative then his University GPA?

2.What schools depending on his GPA his last year would he be eligible for T-14 or worst?

3.Some other notes He's debating staying an extra semester & getting a Business Minor through our Business School which is quite prestigious to raise his GPA & increase recruiting chances for law schools and top jobs do you think this is necessary ?
1. They average. all that matters is his LSAC GPA. Doesnt matter where he goes to school or how prestigious his program is.

2. pretty much everything is possibly on the table except probably Y. His chances completely depend on his LSAT

3. its not NECESSARY. Necessary means required. However, it would certainly be helpful for him to have a higher LGPA. the whole prestigious program part doesnt matter.Just make sure to tell him to wait to get his BA/BS until after his final semester. Grades after attaining ones BA/BS dont count toward ones LGPA.
So if he has 120 credits but doesn't apply for BA in Econ & waits to do the Business minor will those grades still count or do they only look at your 120 credits needed for your degree ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm

ChasingGoals wrote: So if he has 120 credits but doesn't apply for BA in Econ & waits to do the Business minor will those grades still count or do they only look at your 120 credits needed for your degree ?
all grades before receiving the BA will count, even if he is eligible to graduate at an earlier time.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:42 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:
1.Okay thanks i was also curious wouldn't admissions be more likely to reject applicant if they keep applying ?

2. also say you take lsat score 165 then 170 will they look at the 165 more?
1. No

2. With very few exceptions, schools only care about your highest score

ChasingGoals

New

Post by ChasingGoals » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Nova wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:
1.Okay thanks i was also curious wouldn't admissions be more likely to reject applicant if they keep applying ?

2. also say you take lsat score 165 then 170 will they look at the 165 more?
1. No

2. With very few exceptions, schools only care about your highest score
Okay thanks for the response !

Xixak

Bronze

Post by Xixak » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 am

There's an off chance that Affirmative Action could be gone by the time you apply, so just shoot for as close to 180 as humanly possible.

ChasingGoals

New

Post by ChasingGoals » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Xixak wrote:There's an off chance that Affirmative Action could be gone by the time you apply, so just shoot for as close to 180 as humanly possible.
okay well actually the school we are currently at supposedly does not take into account race anymore.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 pm

If your friend does the best he can on the LSAT everything should work out.

Tell him to gtf on tls tho

ChasingGoals

New

Post by ChasingGoals » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Nova wrote:If your friend does the best he can on the LSAT everything should work out.

Tell him to gtf on tls tho
If he intends on applying after his senior year and doing the minor can he start prepping for the LSAT next summer ? and take it in the fall and apply? He was also curious do admission value grade trends his first year was around 2.7-2.8 GPA & say he is able to attain all A's (3.7 & 4.0) his final year and extra semester would that value that over the rough first start. The reason the GPA is low he states because of the rigor since transferring from community college the class weren't very rigorous and he could achieve A's with ease so it was a transition also some of classes in the school in economics are notoriously hard rumored be one of hardest class at our school.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”