GPA Addendum Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bands2014

New

GPA Addendum

Post by bands2014 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Guys,

Did anyone with a 3.2 - 3.4 GPA submit a non-external circumstance addendum? I finished undergrad with a great upward trend, while taking tough upper-level courses. I did not do horribly during my start in undergrad but I definitely could have done better. It did not have to with an illness or death in the family; it was mostly a combination of lack of dedication to studies and getting used to college academics. Should I write an addendum expressing that I feel like my last year of college truly expresses my academic potential, as opposed to my first two years? Or should I not send an addendum and assume law schools will look at my transcript favorably even though I had a not so great start?

Thanks

bosmer88

Bronze

Re: GPA Addendum

Post by bosmer88 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey OP.

I don't think you should write an addendum. Schools will have your transcript and note the upward trend. If anything, sending an addendum without truly mitigating circumstances might give schools an unfavorable impression of you (making excuses, focusing on a perceived negative when it might not be a negative, etc.).

bands2014

New

Post by bands2014 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 pm

thanks bosmer88. That makes a lot of sense

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm

You're welcome.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”