URM 2012-2013 Cycle Final Results Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Psib337

Bronze

Re: URM 2012-2013 Cycle Final Results

Post by Psib337 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 pm

AA Female
3.3, 163
Applied January 2013

Attending:
Cardozo for now

In:
Temple
Tulane
Pitt
Pepperdine
Miami
Loyola
Richmond

Out:
USC
Duke
Stanford
Columbia
UC Berkeley
UCLA
NYU

Waitlisted:
Penn
Georgetown
BU
Fordham

Waiting On:
Chicago

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am

Afro-Caribbean female (international)
3.7, 157
Applied September 2012

Attending:
UVA

IN:
UVA
Vandy
GWU
W&L
Fordham
Wake Forest
UMaryland
American
Cardozo
UMiami

OUT:
Everywhere else!

But to be specific:
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Berkeley
Penn
Northwestern
GULC
BU

Waitlisted (and subsequently withdrawn):
BC
WUSTL
Cornell
Emory
W&M

EttaJ

New

Post by EttaJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm

AA Female
3.76, 164

Applied:
September-November 2013

Attending:
Harvard Law School

In:
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Virginia
Berkeley
Northwestern
Duke
Michigan
Georgetown
Cornell
UT (Full-ride scholarship)

Withdrew While Held:
UPenn

Withdrew While Pending:
Stanford

Rejected:
Yale

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Psib337 wrote:AA Female
3.3, 163
Applied January 2013

Attending:
Cardozo for now

In:
Temple
Tulane
Pitt
Pepperdine
Miami
Loyola
Richmond

Out:
USC
Duke
Stanford
Columbia
UC Berkeley
UCLA
NYU

Waitlisted:
Penn
Georgetown
BU
Fordham

Waiting On:
Chicago
whoooa. Do not attend Cardoza. You applied too late. Look at the other posters. Another AA poster with a 3.3/165 got a FULL ride to NYU!

I would sit out this cycle and apply EARLY next year. Maybe even retake to get a few points on the LSAT.

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 am

Psib, I agree with Jello. I think you would have much better options if you waited until next cycle or decided to retake the LSAT. I know it is another year, but considering the financial burden you undertake with law school, you want to get into the best school you can.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 am

AA Male
3.17, 167

Applied:
November 2012

Attending:
Columbia Law School (staying on Harvard WL)

In:
Chicago
Michigan
Georgetown
UT-Austin
USC
George Washington
Emory
Vandy

Wait listed:
Harvard

Withdrew from wait list:
NYU
UVA
UPenn
Cornell
Duke
UCLA

Rejected:
Yale
Stanford
Berkeley

blackomega

New

Post by blackomega » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

AA Male
3.81 166
K-JD

Applied:
November 2012

Attending:
Harvard

In:
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Michigan
Duke
Georgetown
Cornell
Berkeley
Northwestern

WL:
Penn

Rejected:
Yale (I blame my 250 lol)

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 am

bosmer88 wrote:Psib, I agree with Jello. I think you would have much better options if you waited until next cycle or decided to retake the LSAT. I know it is another year, but considering the financial burden you undertake with law school, you want to get into the best school you can.
Psi, I agree with everyone here that there's no way you should do 'dozo. If you have to go this coming year, I'd hope for Penn from the WL. You of course can never count on that, but I can definitely see that happening.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:
GW1010 wrote: Twenty has no GPA. Its a bummer with that good LSAT score to have that kind of cycle but it's no surprise that the t-14 aren't gonna bite on a candidate with no GPA
Is the no GPA because your credits were earned all via CLEP/DSST? Please explain. And with no GPA, why would you apply to so many T-14 schools? It will be tough to get into even T-30 without a GPA.
This analysis is just false.

He went to an UG that gives no grades and of the grades he did get (something like 30 credits IIRC) he had close to a 4.0.

Schools wouldn't even have to report the GPA because of that, all they get to report is that they have a URM with a 166 which is pretty boss - which is why his cycle makes no sense.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

He went to an UG that gives no grades and of the grades he did get (something like 30 credits IIRC) he had close to a 4.0.
Interesting. Wouldn't he be able to generate a GPA for the credits that did have grades attached, or is there a minimum requirement?
60 credits minimum to be able to report a GPA.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hrun

New

Post by Hrun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Do they treat biracial applicants differently? If twenty is the same twenty on LSN, he might be treated as two or more races. Always wondered how certain biracial kids fair in the application process if they decided to check more than one race on the application form.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Hrun wrote:Do they treat biracial applicants differently? If twenty is the same twenty on LSN, he might be treated as two or more races. Always wondered how certain biracial kids fair in the application process if they decided to check more than one race on the application form.
Nope. Schools report URMs as URMs, no difference whether they're biracial.

Hrun

New

Post by Hrun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Hrun wrote:Do they treat biracial applicants differently? If twenty is the same twenty on LSN, he might be treated as two or more races. Always wondered how certain biracial kids fair in the application process if they decided to check more than one race on the application form.
Nope. Schools report URMs as URMs, no difference whether they're biracial.

But if you look at the ABA data that schools produce, there is a category for two or more races. And schools report this information.

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... spx?sid=61

I know schools talk up their diversity by summing their entire minority population and speaking of them as a precent of their student body in the publications they distribute. But Asians don't seem to get the same diversity bump like other minorities. I was just wondering if certain biracial individuals get a different treatment. For example, is someone who is half latino and half asian and who checks both boxes treated differently than someone who just checks the Latino box?

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:Psib, I agree with Jello. I think you would have much better options if you waited until next cycle or decided to retake the LSAT. I know it is another year, but considering the financial burden you undertake with law school, you want to get into the best school you can.
Psi, I agree with everyone here that there's no way you should do 'dozo. If you have to go this coming year, I'd hope for Penn from the WL. You of course can never count on that, but I can definitely see that happening.
I need to go this year, I'm not doing anything that would make my application stronger, it would literally be the exact same thing. I have a full ride at Cardozo but I'm still hoping to get off a waitlist, waiting another year would drive me absolutely insane. And if I apply early and get the same results it's just a year wasted...and I work in a call center and I can really only deal with talking to stupid people all day for another few months.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:That blows. I have a friend who earned a bunch of credits through the military, CLEP, and DSST and also had no GPA, but did get into Boyd here in Las Vegas. He had a similar cycle 2 years ago, without any interest from schools above T-30. Granted, he wasn't URM but he was a disabled war vet. How often would T-14 admit someone without a GPA, regardless of URM status?
I didn't have a GPA because I'm an international student. Didn't seem to affect my application any.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Psib337 wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:
I need to go this year, I'm not doing anything that would make my application stronger, it would literally be the exact same thing. I have a full ride at Cardozo but I'm still hoping to get off a waitlist, waiting another year would drive me absolutely insane. And if I apply early and get the same results it's just a year wasted...and I work in a call center and I can really only deal with talking to stupid people all day for another few months.
Seriously? That's your argument for not studying and retaking the LSAT for a few more points that would decide you getting debt pwned at a shit school or a top 14? Find a new job, or travel, do volunteer work, find new hobbies, but do not settle for Cardozo brah, unless you're okay with a 60k job repaying 200k of debt?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm

MTH2 wrote:
Psib337 wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:
Seriously? That's your argument for not studying and retaking the LSAT for a few more points that would decide you getting debt pwned at a shit school or a top 14? Find a new job, or travel, do volunteer work, find new hobbies, but do not settle for Cardozo brah, unless you're okay with a 60k job repaying 200k of debt?

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Psib337 wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:
Law school will always be there. As others have said, you can do a variety of things to improve your application in the meantime. Doing volunteer work that you are passionate about/find meaningful can only make your application stronger. I put off law school for 3 years (while working for 2 of them, volunteered during the 3rd year) until I had an application that I felt was strong enough and would allow me to apply in a timely manner.

Or just get a higher LSAT.

It really is your choice though. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jediwannabe

New

Post by jediwannabe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm

172 3.75 AA male

Good PS, DS, LORs and eclectic resume, with nothing spectacular on it
Attending:
Stanford

In:
Miami
Duke
Fordham
Georgetown
GWU
Stanford
UT
Berkeley

Wl:
Michigan? come on
NW-oh, come on!!
NYU-no (long pause) Please! Please!
Chicago-meh
Harvard-Didn't write loci following the hold, because after I heard the news from Stanford, I suddenly developed late-onset senioritis. They moved me to the wait-list, and I withdrew
Penn?
UVA?

Reject: Yale

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 am

Am I the only one that doesn't understand jediwannabe's cycle? Those amount of WLs is unprecedented with those stats, regardless of resume. Even a late application doesn't make that much sense to me....

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 am

bosmer88 wrote:
Law school will always be there. As others have said, you can do a variety of things to improve your application in the meantime. Doing volunteer work that you are passionate about/find meaningful can only make your application stronger. I put off law school for 3 years (while working for 2 of them, volunteered during the 3rd year) until I had an application that I felt was strong enough and would allow me to apply in a timely manner.

Or just get a higher LSAT.

It really is your choice though. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do.
I spent all of last year studying for the LSAT, the only times I wasn't studying for it was when I was waiting for the scores to come back, it's not likely to get much better than it is now. I can't afford to travel or to stop working to volunteer and after looking for a job twice (once after graduating and once after being laid off) I have never come remotely close to do doing anything I went to school for (and not for lack of trying) or anything where I'd make enough to move out of my parents house. It might be different if I got waitlisted at more places but they were flat out rejections. Cardozo is my best option

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”