Post removed... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Barack O'Drama

Gold

How exactly does URM work?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Hey I'm a URM (Black) ... My question is

B.) How exactly does it work? I'm assuming there's just places set aside for URMs and they have to let a certain amount in. However, is there something more to it? For example, If I graduate with a 3.8/160 is that looked at like a non-URM 4.0/168? Basically just wondering if there is a set formula?

Thank you in advance guys
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: How exactly does URM work?

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 pm

A. They just trust that you aren't lying on the questionnaire.

B. There's no set formula. It's kind of holistic in the sense that there aren't any hard and fast rules but you can look at LSN to see what they have previously done with URMs with numbers similar to yours.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 pm

A. What bk said. Also, lying about this is not only dumb but it also will come up during your Character and Fitness portion of the Bar. FYI, dishonesty and fraud are basically the only hard and fast way, yes maybe even more than murder, to ensure you don't pass the bar.

B. Nope, no formula or quota but checking out admissions graphs on myLSN based on your race or searches URM acceptance percentages on myLSN is a good way to see what the bump is at each school.

Also, there is an amazing wealth of information on TLS about how URM bumps work and how to quantify that bump at each of the top schools. Check out threads in the URM section of TLS, also posts from elterrible, LSACTSCORES2012, former admissions officer Mike Spivey, Dean Perez of Texas Tech Law, and many others.

Seriously, search function and myLSN are your best friends here. After a few hours of research you'll know everything you need to know about URM applications, bumps, and schematics.

Best of luck.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:45 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:For example, If I graduate with a 3.8/160 is that looked at like a non-URM 4.0/168? Basically just wondering if there is a set formula?
I don't think any type of URM gets an 8-point LSAT boost.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:For example, If I graduate with a 3.8/160 is that looked at like a non-URM 4.0/168? Basically just wondering if there is a set formula?
AA male (maybe female as well) URM gets something like that, if not more, at some schools. At the top 3 most URM friendly schools (Harvard, NYU, Georgetown) a 169/170 seems to be the rough acceptance equivalent (GPAs equal) to 177-180.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:51 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
AA male (maybe female as well) URM gets something like that, if not more, at some schools. At the top 3 most URM friendly schools (Harvard, NYU, Georgetown) a 169/170 seems to be the rough acceptance equivalent (GPAs equal) to 177-180.
Whelp, that 8-point boost explains a few of the bites I've been getting this cycle. Haha.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Whelp, that 8-point boost explains a few of the bites I've been getting this cycle. Haha.
Yep. Thinking of the boost less in terms of a pure number and more of as a comparative standard deviation equalization is a lot more useful. Perfect example, 3 standard deviations above median for all Caucasian LSAT test takers is 180, 3 standard deviations above median for all AA LSAT takers is 169 (2012 stats).

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:05 am

Post removed...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”