Projected chances please! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fajita12

New

Projected chances please!

Post by fajita12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 am

I'm still a Junior in undergrad, so I will take LSAT in June.

I've worked a summer in a law firm
I've worked on campus part-time since my freshman year
I have an extensive volunteer background (both related and un-related to the field of law)
Thanks!

p.s. Once I get my official score, I will update!
Last edited by fajita12 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

dproduct

Gold

Re: Projected chances please!

Post by dproduct » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 am

You have no projected chances because you have no LSAT score. How on earth would anyone project your chances? You don't even have a GPA!

You're a junior, so you should be working your ass off to raise your GPA as much as you can. Take whatever classes you can, basket-weaving, opening water bottles 118, and underwater-basket-weaving 10. A 3.3 can easily be raised to a 3.6+ which will boost your chances significantly.

Also, you have plenty of time to study for the LSAT. A 158 cold is a solid score, and you can easily get a score of 170+.

Chances? Your chances are infinite. Shoot for Yale. I wish I had found TLS while I was still in UG.

Once all of that is settled, you can come back and post your actual GPA and actual LSAT and people will then be able to help you out.

fajita12

New

Post by fajita12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am

dproduct:

Thank you for your input. I understand my lack of LSAT score means no chances yet, I'm just so nervous/anxious after going through these forums! I told myself I'd be patient but I guess the side effect of these forums is a little craziness. I'll just wait until I get my test back.
Last edited by fajita12 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 pm

158 is a solid first score. Get it up to 165+ and you'll be chillin with that 3.5. Get it up to 170+ and you'll be in a good place.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Like many other people, I scored 14X cold and ended up scoring 171 max so you're good. Get that GPA UP!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:04 pm

fajita12 wrote:dproduct:

Thank you for your input. I understand my lack of LSAT score means no chances yet, I'm just so nervous/anxious after going through these forums! I told myself I'd be patient but I guess the side effect of these forums is a little craziness. I'll just wait until I get my test back. However, regarding my gpa number, if I'm applying this fall (as early as possible) because I'm shooting for enrollment straight out of undergrad, that means this spring semester will be my last chance to raise my gpa. I'm taking some difficult courses right now but my gpa this semester should be above a 3.5. This hardly raises my gpa.... :( I'm afraid that with such a low gpa, my chances won't look good unless I get an absolutely stellar LSAT. Good to know a 158 is a solid score, though!
Study, study, STUDY. A 158 cold easily yields a top 97th percentile + with the proper work.

As for the GPA. Honestly, if you can wait a year and a apply with a 3.7-3.8 your cycle will be MUCH different. Going to law school straight from ugrad has little to no benefit. High GPAs are a dime a dozen, high GPAs + high LSAT scores are coveted.

fajita12

New

Post by fajita12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 am

Thanks all! I will consider and update later on then.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 am

Good luck OP 8)

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:50 am

Also, what kind of URM are you? That can make a big difference

fajita12

New

Post by fajita12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm

U
Last edited by fajita12 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm

fajita12 wrote:I am half Puerto Rican, half Panamanian.
If the applicant pool continues to decline next year or stays stagnant, and if you score a 165, you'll be in at Georgetown/Cornell and down. If you can spare the cash or are eligible for a fee waiver, throw a hail mary app at a school like NYU. Crazier things have happened with URM applications

Obviously there are a lot of "if's". Study hard for that LSAT and get the best score you can! Since you're a junior, there's not much time left to substantially improve your GPA so the LSAT should be your #1 priority.

Good luck!

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:35 pm

qwertyboard wrote:Like many other people, I scored 14X cold and ended up scoring 171 max so you're good. Get that GPA UP!
Wow...you should definitely make a thread explaining what you did to improve your score, how long, retakes (if any), etc.

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 am

Yaaaas2013 wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:Like many other people, I scored 14X cold and ended up scoring 171 max so you're good. Get that GPA UP!
Wow...you should definitely make a thread explaining what you did to improve your score, how long, retakes (if any), etc.
Yes, please do, I would love to read it. Kind of in the same boat. But I won't actually apply until next Fall because of this thing getting in my way called life.

d330

Bronze

Post by d330 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 pm

arkgawilson wrote:
Yaaaas2013 wrote:
Yes, please do, I would love to read it. Kind of in the same boat. But I won't actually apply until next Fall because of this thing getting in my way called life.
There is a ton of information here about the LSAT, and while it's easy to improve your score to 165+ and really 170 if that's what you want, most people won't get that because it requires an insane amount of work. But I'd look at this plan that's posted here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657

And also just go the LSAT page on TLS and read the three articles written by people who had perfect scores and piece together your plan from that. Also, I'd go to the 7sage website because they run through all the logic games in youtube videos (for free). You shouldn't be missing anything there. 7sage is here:

http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

That should help you.

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 am

d330 wrote:
arkgawilson wrote:
Yaaaas2013 wrote:
There is a ton of information here about the LSAT, and while it's easy to improve your score to 165+ and really 170 if that's what you want, most people won't get that because it requires an insane amount of work. But I'd look at this plan that's posted here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657

And also just go the LSAT page on TLS and read the three articles written by people who had perfect scores and piece together your plan from that. Also, I'd go to the 7sage website because they run through all the logic games in youtube videos (for free). You shouldn't be missing anything there. 7sage is here:

http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

That should help you.
More never hurts. I have not seen many posters on TLS with cold scores of 14x make it into the 170s. Perhaps qwertyboard may have some different approaches that s/he found helpful that arent expressed on the board.

fajita12

New

Post by fajita12 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Update

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”