Diversity Statement :/ Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sweetlady75

New

Diversity Statement :/

Post by Sweetlady75 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm

This diversity statement seems to be the hardest thing for me to write. How important are these statements? Do they really help? I haven't sent out any applications due to this statement. I don't like the one that I have written so far at all.

BlaqBella

Silver

Re: Diversity Statement :/

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:This diversity statement seems to be the hardest thing for me to write. How important are these statements? Do they really help? I haven't sent out any applications due to this statement. I don't like the one that I have written so far at all.
Neither sufficient nor necessary. You shouldn't feel obligated to write a diversity statement unless you wish to bring to light a unique experience/more about yourself that was not expressed in your personal statement. If this is holding up your application, send what you have. It's already pretty late in the cycle.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Unless your diversity statement will add a good deal of context to your application, I would seriously consider whether or not to send it.

For example, if one were LGBTQ, simply writing a diversity statement about your experiences as LGBTQ is not to helpful. However, if you talk about how it shaped who are you today, and you can support this transformation with actions that you have taken, then it is valuable. I said LGBTQ, but I think that this applies for URM as well - simply being of that race is irrelevant, but if you can show how it influenced you, then its solid.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to apply without the diversity statement. As you have pointed out, I'm already late in the cycle, so I dont' need to delay it any further.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”