TFA, URM, Master's Degree Question Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
eav1277

Bronze

TFA, URM, Master's Degree Question

Post by eav1277 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm

I am currently considering whether or not to accept a TFA offer. I understand the time commitment, stress, and negative views of many. I have a strong interest in education and am considering teaching long term.

Would a master's degree provide a boost to my law school app? I am able to obtain one through a LMU/TFA partnership. I wouldn't obtain the degree just for an app boost (but a boost would be an added plus).

Thank you for taking the time to read the post. I appreciate all help and info.
Last edited by eav1277 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Re: TFA, URM, Master's Degree Question

Post by ph14 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 pm

eav1277 wrote:I am currently accepting a TFA offer. I understand the time commitment, stress, and negative views of many. I have a strong interest in education and am considering teaching long term.

Would a master's degree provide a boost to my law school app? I am able to obtain one through a LMU/TFA partnership. I wouldn't obtain the degree just for an app boost (but a boost would be an added plus).

Thank you for taking the time to read the post. I appreciate all help and info.

Background info:
URM (MA)
UC
3.66 GPA (should be near 3.7 after this quarter)
159 LSAT (retaking)
It won't boost your app. If you do it, do it because you want to do it for reasons wholly independent of its (non)effect on your law school application.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm

eav1277 wrote:I am currently considering whether or not to accept a TFA offer. I understand the time commitment, stress, and negative views of many. I have a strong interest in education and am considering teaching long term.
Go do TFA. Law school will be here when you get back, if you get back.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
eav1277 wrote:I am currently considering whether or not to accept a TFA offer. I understand the time commitment, stress, and negative views of many. I have a strong interest in education and am considering teaching long term.
Great reasoning there.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Doing TFA will help you more than the master's.

blackandstrong

Bronze

Post by blackandstrong » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:48 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
LOL. I feel you on that -- I'm in TFA now.

To your original question, TFA is a great soft. Do TFA and then come back and apply for law school. Don't worry about the boost, but you'll get a pretty big one because of URM status and TFA combined.

Master's degree doesn't count.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 am

Thanks for all the replies.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”