gay Urm Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anonymous dude

New

gay Urm

Post by anonymous dude » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Does being gay constitute urm status? Does it give a boost?

sparty99

Gold

Re: gay Urm

Post by sparty99 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm

No. Next question.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:47 pm

No.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Nova wrote:No.
This. But you can write a DS about it.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:57 pm

^^ good point

lawguyjake

New

Post by lawguyjake » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I wholeheartedly disagree with all the naysayers. It is all about context. If being LGBT substantially motivates your decision to go to law school AND it is demonstrated in your application, then I think it can definitely provide a boost. I'm basically positive that I wouldn't have gotten into some of the schools I got into and that I wouldn't have received as much scholarship had I not talked about being openly LGBT, from Kansas, and interested in LGBT law.

So, the short answer to your question, I think, is "yes."

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 pm

lawguyjake wrote:I wholeheartedly disagree with all the naysayers. It is all about context. If being LGBT substantially motivates your decision to go to law school AND it is demonstrated in your application, then I think it can definitely provide a boost. I'm basically positive that I wouldn't have gotten into some of the schools I got into and that I wouldn't have received as much scholarship had I not talked about being openly LGBT, from Kansas, and interested in LGBT law.

You should retake

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:32 pm

lawguyjake wrote:I wholeheartedly disagree with all the naysayers. It is all about context. If being LGBT substantially motivates your decision to go to law school AND it is demonstrated in your application, then I think it can definitely provide a boost. I'm basically positive that I wouldn't have gotten into some of the schools I got into and that I wouldn't have received as much scholarship had I not talked about being openly LGBT, from Kansas, and interested in LGBT law.

+1

Many law schools ask if you're LGBT in their applications for a reason. There isn't a substantial boost but there definitely is a small one

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:32 pm

It doesnt make you a URM.

Its a soft.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:38 pm

No. That's gay.

lawguyjake

New

Post by lawguyjake » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:19 am

Nova wrote:

It doesnt make you a URM.

Its a soft.
Sure, being LGBT doesn't make you an underrepresented minority as the term is generally applied on TLS and Law School Admissions Land. But ultimately what OP is asking, and what anyone is asking in regards to a URM question, is to what extent talking about the ways that diversity (or apparent lack thereof) impacts an application. So, I suppose for clarity the answer is "No, you are not technically considered an underrepresented minority, but as with all interesting things that can bring about a different perspective of the law, one's sexual orientation might be of import."

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”