What do you thnk? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Should i Identify myself as a URM?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 35

t0wlie

New

What do you thnk?

Post by t0wlie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:15 pm

I hwould help. If someone was in a similar situation - what did you do?
Last edited by t0wlie on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Helicio

Bronze

Re: Moral dilemma -I believe I am an URM, would you consider me?

Post by Helicio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:23 pm

t0wlie wrote:I have always somewhat identified proudly as Hispanic and Mexican-American. My grandmother was born in Mexico, my dad's last name before he was adopted legally by his step father was Quezada, and I am nearly 1/4 Mexican. My grandpa on the other side was born in Spain, my mom's maiden name is Rubio, and I am more than 1/4 Spanish (some from my dads side as well.)

I know there is a major URM minority boost, but because many would identify me outwardly as a Caucasian female (although I am somewhat dark complected) I do not know if it would be morally right to identify myself as an URM on my law school applications.

Any advice you have would help. If someone was in a similar situation - what did you do?
Hispanic does not denote a race but a culture. Roughly 50 percent or more of South America is racially white if I remember correctly.

In other words, you are URM.

PS-Even Spanish people who are white are Hispanic, and therefore URM.

Enjoy.

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Helicio wrote:
t0wlie wrote:I have always somewhat identified proudly as Hispanic and Mexican-American. My grandmother was born in Mexico, my dad's last name before he was adopted legally by his step father was Quezada, and I am nearly 1/4 Mexican. My grandpa on the other side was born in Spain, my mom's maiden name is Rubio, and I am more than 1/4 Spanish (some from my dads side as well.)

I know there is a major URM minority boost, but because many would identify me outwardly as a Caucasian female (although I am somewhat dark complected) I do not know if it would be morally right to identify myself as an URM on my law school applications.

Any advice you have would help. If someone was in a similar situation - what did you do?
Hispanic does not denote a race but a culture. Roughly 50 percent or more of South America is racially white if I remember correctly.

Enjoy.
No, being Spanish does not make someone URM. Being "Hispanic" doesn't matter for URM. Being Mexican or Puerto Rican is what matters. OP, if you are 1/4 Mexican it is fine to say you're URM.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm

aekea wrote:
Helicio wrote:

Enjoy.
No, being Spanish does not make someone URM. Being "Hispanic" doesn't matter for URM. Being Mexican or Puerto Rican is what matters. OP, if you are 1/4 Mexican it is fine to say you're URM.
Ah, my bad. Anyway OP, you are still URM so put it down and don't feel guilty.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am

Helicio wrote: don't feel guilty.
Check the box

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Have you identified yourself as Mexican/Hispanic on prior forms? If you have done that as well, you are definitely fine. But, if you haven't, there may be some problems.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 am

Nova wrote:
Check the box
I am Charizard.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 am

Helicio wrote:
Nova wrote:
Check the box
I am Charizard.
ROAR

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Nova wrote:
Helicio wrote:
Nova wrote:
Check the box
I am Charizard.
ROAR
Charizard uses *body slam* -200 HP! KO

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm

t0wlie wrote:I know there is a major URM minority boost
I think people overestimate the boost the URMs receive.

Anywho... if you consider yourself a minority, you should mark yourself as one. I do have issues with people "becoming" a minority when its convenient for them, but if you say you've always identified as Mexican-American/Spanish (though I don't know if Spanish counts as a URM), then go for it.

christobel

New

Post by christobel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:49 pm

/
Last edited by christobel on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:49 am

That's strange. You've always identified with being Mexican-American but from what you're saying you're only a 1/4 MA and you've got more Spanish-American lineage than Mexican-American.

I don't think it'd be disingenuous to put down URM if you've self-identified with being Mexican-American in the past moreso than you've identified with being Spanish-American but I personally wouldn't consider you to be a URM so I voted "No".

I've always self-identified as Puerto Rican but I also know that my biological grandfather on my father's side is Cuban making me about 7/8 Puerto Rican and 1/8 Cuban. (Or something like that. My math is horrendous.)
Last edited by DaRascal on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:00 am

News Flash: You don't have to be dark to be hispanic.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:13 am

chimp wrote:News Flash: You don't have to be dark to be hispanic.
I wasn't saying that she's not "Hispanic". I'm just saying that she's only 1/4 Mexican and she's presumably over 1/3 Spanish, so I personally believe that she shouldn't be considered a URM.

If one of her parents was Mexican, then I think there'd be a much stronger case for claiming URM on law school apps.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:35 am

DaRascal wrote:
chimp wrote:News Flash: You don't have to be dark to be hispanic.
I wasn't saying that she's not "Hispanic". I'm just saying that she's only 1/4 Mexican and she's presumably over 1/3 Spanish, so I personally believe that she shouldn't be considered a URM.

If one of her parents was Mexican, then I think there'd be a much stronger case for claiming URM on law school apps.
My comment was in reference to OP's "many would identify me outwardly as a Caucasian female" statement.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”