Questions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Commander101

New

Questions

Post by Commander101 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:59 am

Hello All,

I've been reading these posts for some time now and have decided to seek out some answers for questions that I have. I am a African American male from a top 25 undergrad program with a 2.85 lsac gpa. I am going to take the LSAT in October and have been getting practice scores of around 170. I would really love to be in DC and consider Georgetown and GW my top choices followed by other Mid-Atlantic and Southern schools.

Questions for you:

Do you think there is any chance at ED GW with a gpa and scores like those?

Should I wait until the spring to apply when my gpa will be in the upper 2.9s? (It seems like most people would say splitters should apply early)

What do you think the chances at regular decision acceptances are at those 2 with those scores?

and any other advice would be appreciated.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Re: Questions

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Commander101 wrote:Hello All,

I've been reading these posts for some time now and have decided to seek out some answers for questions that I have. I am a African American male from a top 25 undergrad program with a 2.85 lsac gpa. I am going to take the LSAT in October and have been getting practice scores of around 170. I would really love to be in DC and consider Georgetown and GW my top choices followed by other Mid-Atlantic and Southern schools.

Questions for you:

Do you think there is any chance at ED GW with a gpa and scores like those?

Should I wait until the spring to apply when my gpa will be in the upper 2.9s? (It seems like most people would say splitters should apply early)

What do you think the chances at regular decision acceptances are at those 2 with those scores?

and any other advice would be appreciated.
A hypothetical without an LSAT score is just pure speculation. Also, consider taking another year to graduate to get your GPA as high as possible.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Absolutely don't wait until Spring. Apply early, but consider taking some time off to earn money/experience and distance yourself from the GPA.

Gwen

Bronze

Post by Gwen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:13 pm

DCDuck wrote:Absolutely don't wait until Spring. Apply early, but consider taking some time off to earn money/experience and distance yourself from the GPA.
He would have to take 5+ years off to "distance" himself from his low UGPA.

OP, do you have an upward grade trend? I agree with MTH2, if possible, stay an extra year and improve your GPA. Getting above a 3.0 would significantly improve your chances of gaining admission to a top program.
Last edited by Gwen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander101

New

Post by Commander101 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you for the responses. I do have an upward trend with regards to my GPA.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Commander101 wrote:Thank you for the responses. I do have an upward trend with regards to my GPA.
The end result is all that matters. Keep that GPA as high as you can (you should be trying to break into a 3.0+) and then go from there. Possibly take summer school courses if that helps.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”