Very unique (and i mean VERY UNIQUE) sitation Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Zionman

New

Very unique (and i mean VERY UNIQUE) sitation

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:33 pm

Askin for an acquaitance (may have spelled that incorrectly...w/e)

transgender hispanic-asian "female": not sure the quotation marks are politically correct or not; really have no idea; no intention to offend)

chance her, plz
Her low GPA has andendum (undergoing sex change)
Would being gay improve her chances?
her goal is uchicago.
i told "her" (again, plz inform me if the quotation marks are improper; my acquaintance says she's cool widit): no chance at uhicago, but maybe "she" can shoot for some of the t-14.

twenty

Gold

Re: Very unique (and i mean VERY UNIQUE) sitation

Post by twenty » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Unfortunately, your friend could be an alien for all admissions folks care. If sie's not a URM, then the only factors sie'll be evaluated on is hir LSAT and UGPA. There is no "boost" for being gay, although it makes for a good diversity statement.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 pm

What Hispanic origin?

2012JayDee

Bronze

Post by 2012JayDee » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Zionman wrote:Askin for an acquaitance (may have spelled that incorrectly...w/e)

transgender hispanic-asian "female": not sure the quotation marks are politically correct or not; really have no idea; no intention to offend)

chance her, plz
her goal is uchicago.
i told "her" (again, plz inform me if the quotation marks are improper; my acquaintance says she's cool widit): no chance at uhicago, but maybe "she" can shoot for some of the t-14.

Assuming your friend is M->F then it is more than appropriate to refer to your friend as she without any quotation marks.

Being transgender and subsequently undergoing a sex change while in college is quite an experience, one that is unique, and certainly places and unimaginable amount of stress on an individual. It can certainly explain certain things in the GPA. Was there a period of truly solid grades. For example low grades before the operation but high grades afterwards? Upward trends are usually helpful.
Is she planning on retaking the LSAT? A 165 isn't bad at all but she's got some obstacles to overcome. Also there's a fine line between overcoming adversity and being unfocused.
When you begin law school most people tell you to get as much stuff off of your plate as possible. Whatever responsibilities and situations you have going on in your life do your best to eliminate them because law school takes an enormous amount of focus and concentration. If your friend has just undergone the gender reassignment that can be a huge leap to go right into law school. There's a lot of adjustment that needs to occur and perhaps some time out of school to live in the world as her new self, study a bit more for the LSAT and reapply would greatly increase her chances of not only getting into a school like Chicago, but also succeeding while there. Admissions committees don't just want to hear a personal statement for the sake of allowing you to create a diary intro, they also use it to gage the kind of life you have lived (or are living) and to get a better sense of the people they want to admit beyond just numbers on a page. Your friend could be an amazing lawyer and advocate one day, but she doesn't want to come across as someone that "has a lot going on in her life."

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Zionman wrote:Askin for an acquaitance (may have spelled that incorrectly...w/e)

chance her, plz
Her low GPA has andendum (undergoing sex change) Still a 3.0. No excuses
Would being gay improve her chances?no
her goal is uchicago.no
i told "her" (again, plz inform me if the quotation marks are improper; my acquaintance says she's cool widit): no chance at uhicago, but maybe "she" can shoot for some of the t-14.no
Tell her to retake for t14 or enjoy a scholly somewhere else
JamMasterJ wrote:What Hispanic origin?
Relevant.

Also, OP, Unique means being the only one of its kind/unlike anything else. Nothing can be "very unique" because something is either unique or it isn't. I havent met any (or have I?), but I would bet there are more gender reassigned partly URM splitters out there.
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:26 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:28 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:

chance her, plz
her goal is uchicago.
This guy can't be serious.

Get this ass-clown troll out of here.
if youre gonna name-call and make fun of a delicate situation, id rather u keep ur comments to yourself. im not here to get into some, anonymous personal battle. peace.
Last edited by Zionman on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Nova wrote:

chance her, plz
Her low GPA has andendum (undergoing sex change) Still a 3.0. No excuses
Would being gay improve her chances?no
her goal is uchicago.no
i told "her" (again, plz inform me if the quotation marks are improper; my acquaintance says she's cool widit): no chance at uhicago, but maybe "she" can shoot for some of the t-14.no
Tell her to retake for t14 or enjoy a scholly somewhere else
JamMasterJ wrote:What Hispanic origin?
Relevant.

Also, OP, Unique means being the only one of its kind/unlike anything else. Nothing can be "very unique" because something is either unique or it isn't. I havent met any (or have I?), but I would bet there are more gender reassigned partly URM splitters out there.
Good point on the unique part. I guess I was reflecting my own sensibilities on the situation. She is puerto rican.

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 pm

2012JayDee wrote:

chance her, plz
her goal is uchicago.

Assuming your friend is M->F then it is more than appropriate to refer to your friend as she without any quotation marks.

Being transgender and subsequently undergoing a sex change while in college is quite an experience, one that is unique, and certainly places and unimaginable amount of stress on an individual. It can certainly explain certain things in the GPA. Was there a period of truly solid grades. For example low grades before the operation but high grades afterwards? Upward trends are usually helpful.
Is she planning on retaking the LSAT? A 165 isn't bad at all but she's got some obstacles to overcome. Also there's a fine line between overcoming adversity and being unfocused.
When you begin law school most people tell you to get as much stuff off of your plate as possible. Whatever responsibilities and situations you have going on in your life do your best to eliminate them because law school takes an enormous amount of focus and concentration. If your friend has just undergone the gender reassignment that can be a huge leap to go right into law school. There's a lot of adjustment that needs to occur and perhaps some time out of school to live in the world as her new self, study a bit more for the LSAT and reapply would greatly increase her chances of not only getting into a school like Chicago, but also succeeding while there. Admissions committees don't just want to hear a personal statement for the sake of allowing you to create a diary intro, they also use it to gage the kind of life you have lived (or are living) and to get a better sense of the people they want to admit beyond just numbers on a page. Your friend could be an amazing lawyer and advocate one day, but she doesn't want to come across as someone that "has a lot going on in her life."
Thanks so much for your comments. I will def. try to relate this to her but Im not comfortable getting into that deep of an advisory role

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Zionman wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

chance her, plz
her goal is uchicago.
This guy can't be serious.

Get this ass-clown troll out of here.
if youre gonna name-call and make fun of a delicate situation, id rather u keep ur comments to yourself. im not here to get into some, anonymous personal battle. peace.
Why is it delicate? S/he decided to undergo the sex change and s/he should've known s/he may be insulted from time to time. That's life.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Everyone behave in this thread.

And your friend should probably make her own threads. That being said, she's either gay or she's not (and whether she is or isn't will be negligible in admissions).

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:05 pm

If she's Puerto Rican she will enjoy the URM boost.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:If she's Puerto Rican she will enjoy the URM boost.
Si

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:07 am

Curious, What kind of hispanic doesnt enjoy urm boost?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am

Zionman wrote:Curious, What kind of hispanic doesnt enjoy urm boost?
Mexican and Puerto Rican.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Unfortunately, your friend could be an alien for all admissions folks care. If sie's not a URM, then the only factors sie'll be evaluated on is hir LSAT and UGPA. There is no "boost" for being gay, although it makes for a good diversity statement.
Credited. It's all about the numbers in law school. All the other stuff...while important (like excellent work experience or fantastic writing) are just used to decide between two numerically comparable candidates. It will not jump you ahead of the strict queue enforced by the numbers. Why? Because USNWR doesn't have a category for "diversity score" or "average work experience" or any other such subjective metric.

There are two queues: one for URMs, and one for the rest, and that's it.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am

It never ceases to amaze me to see how many people get fooled by trolls.

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:09 pm

manofjustice wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Unfortunately, your friend could be an alien for all admissions folks care. If sie's not a URM, then the only factors sie'll be evaluated on is hir LSAT and UGPA. There is no "boost" for being gay, although it makes for a good diversity statement.
Credited. It's all about the numbers in law school. All the other stuff...while important (like excellent work experience or fantastic writing) are just used to decide between two numerically comparable candidates. It will not jump you ahead of the strict queue enforced by the numbers. Why? Because USNWR doesn't have a category for "diversity score" or "average work experience" or any other such subjective metric.

There are two queues: one for URMs, and one for the rest, and that's it.
So she would still get the urm boost? Also are you sure that ther isnt a diversity score?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Yes, she will. No, diversity does not affect rankings.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”