Egyptian in Biglaw Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jwahba

New

Egyptian in Biglaw

Post by jwahba » Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 am

Not really a URM question, but my dad is pretty skeptical about an Egyptian's (namely me) chances at Biglaw. Is there any data out there on middle-easterners in Biglaw? If not, anecdotes or links to middleastern biglaw partners/associates would suffice.

Thanks in advance!

PARTY

Bronze

Re: Egyptian in Biglaw

Post by PARTY » Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 am

i'm interested in this thread.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 am

I have heard Northern Africans are overrepresented in law. For what that anecdote is worth. The people you will be working with are the best and brightest from the best schools in the country. Why would they care if somebody is Egyptian? Personally it sounds cool to me.

redmars

New

Post by redmars » Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 am

Your success in BIGLAW depends on how merrily you can get on w/ your sworn enemies. I think as an Egyptian Ayrab you know exactly who I'm referring to lol

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 am

redmars wrote:Your success in BIGLAW depends on how merrily you can get on w/ your sworn enemies. I think as an Egyptian Ayrab you know exactly who I'm referring to lol

Everyone knows who you're referring to.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 am

redmars wrote:Your success in BIGLAW depends on how merrily you can get on w/ your sworn enemies. I think as an Egyptian Ayrab you know exactly who I'm referring to lol
uhhh...last I checked Egypt has a peace accord with Israel. Also never mind that 1 million Israeli Arabs live in peace with their Israeli Jeiwsh neighbors.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 pm

I've met a Coptic Egyption lawyer in a biglaw job. I don't think it is a big deal.

jwahba

New

Post by jwahba » Wed May 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Glock wrote:I've met a Coptic Egyption lawyer in a biglaw job. I don't think it is a big deal.
Really? Any chance you can post a link to his staff page? I would want to get his/her take if at all possible.

jwahba

New

Post by jwahba » Thu May 03, 2012 2:29 am

In fact, if anyone can connect me with a middle-easterner in biglaw (preferably Christian or Muslim) so I can get some first hand testimony, it would go a long way to alleviating my dad's worries about the amount of debt I am about to dig myself into.

lonerider

New

Post by lonerider » Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 am

Last edited by lonerider on Sat May 10, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 am

I interviewed with at least two people of middle eastern descent during callbacks in DC. Most big firms have middle eastern offices.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”