. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 am

Last edited by 0913djp on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

howlery

Bronze

Re: Puerto Rican/Dominican-American Chances

Post by howlery » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

0913djp wrote:Hello,

I'm currently in my second to last semester at a public Northeastern university. I have a 3.71 GPA and scored a 150 on a practice LSAT blind, with no prior studying, earlier this summer. I expect my GPA to stay around a 3.71-3.76 and will plan on studying upon graduation for the June LSAT in 2013 after four months of studying (10-15 hours a week, most likely). I additionally will be enrolling in a Logic course my last semester.

I wanted to see what my chances are at a Top 30 school? I was born in Puerto Rico but I wouldn't identify with Afro-Latino despite my grandparents being mixed ethnically and my mother being caramel skin.

I'd really like to get as much scholarship $$ as possible but willing to take out loans the better the program.

Let me know,
DJ
I'm curious as to how adcomms perceive PR/DR applicants who do identify as Afro-Latino and those who don't. Do you think they would be confused?

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:53 pm

howlery wrote:

I'm currently in my second to last semester at a public Northeastern university. I have a 3.71 GPA and scored a 150 on a practice LSAT blind, with no prior studying, earlier this summer. I expect my GPA to stay around a 3.71-3.76 and will plan on studying upon graduation for the June LSAT in 2013 after four months of studying (10-15 hours a week, most likely). I additionally will be enrolling in a Logic course my last semester.

I wanted to see what my chances are at a Top 30 school? I was born in Puerto Rico but I wouldn't identify with Afro-Latino despite my grandparents being mixed ethnically and my mother being caramel skin.

I'd really like to get as much scholarship $$ as possible but willing to take out loans the better the program.

Let me know,
DJ
I'm curious as to how adcomms perceive PR/DR applicants who do identify as Afro-Latino and those who don't. Do you think they would be confused?
I'm curious too... This is a weird subject. What if you are of Hispanic-Caribbean descent from your parents who were born and raised there (thus Hispanic), born and grew up in the USA (Hispanic-American) and your most of your family from your mothers side is Afro-Hispanic Caribbean (Black...American). But you don't exactly "look black".. But you share ethnic features along the lines of.. James Franco/Rose Byrne. What the heck happens then..? Do you get in trouble for identifying as Black and Hispanic? I'm speaking as a confused ethnic minority myself. Who may or may not fit this given criteria.. hehe.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 pm

luuma wrote:
howlery wrote:

Let me know,
DJ
I'm curious too... This is a weird subject. What if you are of Hispanic-Caribbean descent from your parents who were born and raised there (thus Hispanic), born and grew up in the USA (Hispanic-American) and your most of your family from your mothers side is Afro-Hispanic Caribbean (Black...American). But you don't exactly "look black".. But you share ethnic features along the lines of.. James Franco/Rose Byrne. What the heck happens then..? Do you get in trouble for identifying as Black and Hispanic? I'm speaking as a confused ethnic minority myself. Who may or may not fit this given criteria.. hehe.
If you look like James Franco and Rose Byrne I beg you to pursue a career in entertainment before law school, it might go somewhere :P . But really, I have no clue. Theres also that whole "check what you identify as" thing, so maybe schools take your word.

Although I wonder about C&F. What if you come to know of/come to terms with certain roots slightly later in life? If law school isn't the first time you check a certain race box, would everything be fine?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

0913djp wrote:I wanted to see what my chances are at a Top 30 school?
Come back when you have a real LSAT. If you want to peruse then look around http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com for URM's with GPA's similar to yours.

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Let me know,
DJ
It's hard to attempt to calculate your chances if you don't know your actual LSAT score yet. It's good that you got a 150 blind. You may turn that into a 170 for all you know. I increased my score over 20 points from my blind test to the actual test by studying hard and consistently over a several-month period. I think you will do great and get into the school you want.

0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Last edited by 0913djp on Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:14 pm

0913djp wrote:Wanted to bump.

I was wondering what exactly it would take, LSAT score wise, to get into the following:

Northwestern
Michigan
NYU
Chicago

I used LSPredictor but it seems like it is requiring a fairly high LSAT for URM's. Do you think a 3.77 and a 165 would get me into any of these?
lawschoolnumbers.com breh but yes those #s would have a chance everywhere for a URM

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:13 am

I'm also very interested in what you'd need.
We seem to have a lot in common (I had a 153 diagnostic and I once had a GPA that high and I'd kill to get it back). Are you taking a logic course at school or do you mean like a Kaplan logic games prep course?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”