first generation dominican low UGPA, decent masters GPA Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gocart1234

New

first generation dominican low UGPA, decent masters GPA

Post by gocart1234 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:09 am

hello and happy new year to everyone, this is my first post ever here but i've been reading since an undergrad. so here's my situation:

i completed a pre-legal program for undergrads (took contracts, torts, appellate advocacy and legal writing)
3.0 undergrad journalism major, double minors in philosophy and comm (tutored spanish for the college)
3.5 master's in business (elected class council rep)
dominican (born there, moved to states in 3rd grade)
first generation, come from a single parent household (father passed on when younger in the DR, moved here and mother worked 2/3 jobs)
currently interning at viacom's corporate law dept

current practice LSATs fluctuating between low 150's - high 150's

I'm at a point in my life where I'm 23, about to graduate from my master's in a few months and can afford to work for a year or 2 and in the meantime also try to improve my LSATs.

considering the aforementioned, would I have any chance for t20/14? If so, with what LSAT score? Would I be able to get in with only like a 170+??

any advice is appreciated,

thanks in advance!!

Kabuo

Silver

Re: first generation dominican low UGPA, decent masters GPA

Post by Kabuo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:14 am

I don't think you're a URM, and if you aren't, you need a 168 for WUSTL, or higher for an ED shot at a T14. Also, I think that masters GPA counts as average or maybe even slightly below.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:23 am

As a Dominican could you claim to be African american? That would help greatly. I mean I realize it depends on your specific situation, but I think a lot of Caribbean Islanders identify as black. Maybe I'm wrong.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:27 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:As a Dominican could you claim to be African american? That would help greatly. I mean I realize it depends on your specific situation, but I think a lot of Caribbean Islanders identify as black. Maybe I'm wrong.
I would say most people in the DR are mixed, with less people being completely White or Black. Based on my experience most people won't admit it, and will claim to be a Spaniard or Indian if they can pass. I would also advise claiming AA, if only partially.

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Kabuo wrote:I don't think you're a URM, and if you aren't, you need a 168 for WUSTL, or higher for an ED shot at a T14. Also, I think that masters GPA counts as average or maybe even slightly below.
What's ED?

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:56 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I don't think you're a URM, and if you aren't, you need a 168 for WUSTL, or higher for an ED shot at a T14. Also, I think that masters GPA counts as average or maybe even slightly below.
What's ED?
ED = Early Decision. It is a binding agreement you make with a law school that pretty much says you will attend if accepted and not apply ED to any other school during the cycle. I think there might be a sticky or article somewhere with abbreviations and things. Check the LS Admission forum.

wontpanic

New

Post by wontpanic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm

If you are dominican you are considered west indian therefore black. True that some try to push to the Spaniard side that's their issue. I know blue-eyed, blonde Dominicans ...same as I know a blue-eyed blonde Puerto Rican. Still, both are URMs.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 pm

wontpanic wrote:If you are dominican you are considered west indian therefore black. True that some try to push to the Spaniard side that's their issue. I know blue-eyed, blonde Dominicans ...same as I know a blue-eyed blonde Puerto Rican. Still, both are URMs.
Not necessarily. I think around 70% of DR's population is mixed, not sure for PR. Also, PRs of any color are automatically URMS. For a Dominican to qualify they would need to identify as AA, which is not a stretch for the vast majority of them IMO.

thatlawguy

New

Post by thatlawguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Hey,

I think this is a very personal decision that no one will be able to answer except you. I believe its a decision on what you want to do with your life. You will definitely get into some law schools based on your softs, graduate education and life experiences/diversity. Its just a matter of how certain you are that law is for you. Is it the career for you? Does it actually make you happy or fulfilled? On the other hand, you can get some professional work experience and maybe this will help you figure it out. For me, working six years helped solidify my decision to pursue law. But this is just my case. In any case, good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”