Does having Asperger's count as diversity? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Philosopher King

Bronze

Does having Asperger's count as diversity?

Post by Philosopher King » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 pm

I know I'm not an URM (I had the blondest hair and bluest eyes as a child!) but when law schools talk about wanting a diverse student body with students that have overcome challenges, do you think having Asperger's, an Autism spectrum disorder, counts? I have some drafts of my personal statement that include it and I need to put a final draft together soon to submit so I want to know if there could be a shortish paragraph about this in my PS or if it should not be included or if I should make it a theme. Thanks

Grizz

Diamond

Re: Does having Asperger's count as diversity?

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 am

Dude it seems like everyone at top law schools has aspergers.

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 am

Grizz wrote:Dude it seems like everyone at top law schools has aspergers.
LOL. I'm not going to a top law school though! But seriously, do you think that is true? So leave it out of my PS? I won't mind either way since I have a lot of material drafted and can't include it all!

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:36 pm

So I guess the answer is no. I never knew that most people at law schools have Asperger's. Is there any data on this?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:41 pm

You should really retake. This isn't good for your health, man.

It's quite possible to go from the 150's to the 170's, notwithstanding timing issues.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:57 pm

You can write about it if you want. It won't give you a true URM boost. Also, most law students do not literally have Asperger's Syndrome.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:12 pm

An interesting point in George Mason University Economics professor Tyler Cowen's Create Your Own Economy (--LinkRemoved--) is that universities tend to train people to think more autistically. The cultivation of autistic mental frameworks may be where the Aspergers Law meme comes from: Students who do the best in undergrad (and thus get into law school) would be the one's who are best at learning to think autistically or have autistic-like traits as part of their default mental frameworks.

TL;DR: Aspergers is an ORM.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:16 pm

you having aspergers would explain the nature of your postings on TLS...and your inability to grasp why people say you are a troll/flame

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Philosopher King wrote:So I guess the answer is no. I never knew that most people at law schools have Asperger's. Is there any data on this?
Running joke about TLSers, not a statement supported by statistics.

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:28 pm

thederangedwang wrote:you having aspergers would explain the nature of your postings on TLS...and your inability to grasp why people say you are a troll/flame
Maybe this is true. But what led you to this conclusion?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:you having aspergers would explain the nature of your postings on TLS...and your inability to grasp why people say you are a troll/flame
Maybe this is true. But what led you to this conclusion?
I get that your pissed about the LSAT..and your grievances are legitimate to an extent. But every single one of your posts since your score came out has dealt with your hatred of lsac/complaining about lsac.

You have like 5 different arguments going on with 20 different people in 5 different threads...it's time for you to chill.

Edit: but then again...it is entertaining..kind of...do whatever

kmh504

Bronze

Post by kmh504 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 pm

How wonderful! :) Sorry <--- teacher of students with Autism here. Encourage them to think of college everyday :)

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

kmh504 wrote:How wonderful! :) Sorry <--- teacher of students with Autism here. Encourage them to think of college everyday :)
Cool! I admire what you do. My high school (special ed) had this program called "bridge to college" that they ran in summer of 2010 in conjunction with a local community college. I don't know if they still do it but it worked out well that time. Basically, they take the high functioning students that could go to college that are rising seniors and spend a summer teaching them about how to succeed in college. They teach them how to interact with professors and other students, how to advocate for themselves, how to study, etc. I was asked to help with the new program in the summer of 2010 by my old English teacher and I did. I thought it went well. They said it was beneficial having me there because the students were more willing to trust me and beleive me since I was in college and I was one of them just a few years earlier (a few of the students were classmates of mine). I was happy to be able to teach them what I knew because they have potential but just need to overcome some obstacles.

kmh504

Bronze

Post by kmh504 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
kmh504 wrote:How wonderful! :) Sorry <--- teacher of students with Autism here. Encourage them to think of college everyday :)
Cool! I admire what you do. My high school (special ed) had this program called "bridge to college" that they ran in summer of 2010 in conjunction with a local community college. I don't know if they still do it but it worked out well that time. Basically, they take the high functioning students that could go to college that are rising seniors and spend a summer teaching them about how to succeed in college. They teach them how to interact with professors and other students, how to advocate for themselves, how to study, etc. I was asked to help with the new program in the summer of 2010 by my old English teacher and I did. I thought it went well. They said it was beneficial having me there because the students were more willing to trust me and beleive me since I was in college and I was one of them just a few years earlier (a few of the students were classmates of mine). I was happy to be able to teach them what I knew because they have potential but just need to overcome some obstacles.
That's so great! Students with Autism need to see just that - all the individuals out there who are on the spectrum and doing amazing things :) If you wouldn't mind, could you me PM the deets to that program - I wonder if something similar exists in my area.

Jante05

New

Post by Jante05 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:09 pm

to risk sounding like an a I have to ask how does one know if he/she has aspergers?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Jante05 wrote:to risk sounding like an a I have to ask how does one know if he/she has aspergers?
Diagnosis from psychologist/psychiatrist.

Want self-diagnosis? DSM IV

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Jante05 wrote:to risk sounding like an a I have to ask how does one know if he/she has aspergers?
The more poasts on TLS you have, the greater your chances.

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm

I was diagnosed by a professional in fifth grade. And it's hard for me to deny I have it.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Grizz wrote:
Guess I better be writing a diversity statement.

Jante05

New

Post by Jante05 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

paratactical wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Guess I better be writing a diversity statement.
i better heed the warning
with aspergers would self-med help? I had to oogle aspergers, can;t help it but i'm in line w/ some of the characteristics, (except for the part having high intelligence not part of that crew)

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Jante05 wrote: with aspergers would self-med help? I had to oogle aspergers, can;t help it but i'm in line w/ some of the characteristics, (except for the part having high intelligence not part of that crew)
Get a diagnosis from a professional if you think you have it. And remember that Aspies have a range of intelligence levels. I'm not very high intelligence compared to some other Aspies either but I probably do have better social skills.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Jante05 wrote: with aspergers would self-med help? I had to oogle aspergers, can;t help it but i'm in line w/ some of the characteristics, (except for the part having high intelligence not part of that crew)
I oogled your tar.

Jante05

New

Post by Jante05 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I oogled your tar.
what's a tar? you can oogle everything these days

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”