AA Male looking to get the lay of the land Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Athlone McGinnis

New

AA Male looking to get the lay of the land

Post by Athlone McGinnis » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 am

:?: :?:
Last edited by Athlone McGinnis on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Re: AA Male looking to get the lay of the land

Post by soj » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Focus on getting your GPA and LSAT as high as possible. You have a chance at all the schools you listed.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Credited. And if LSAT is 160, retake.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Can't help without an actual LSAT score other than to note that Texas is limited to 35% non-residents so admission may be more difficult than anticipated if you are not a resident of Texas.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:57 pm

tl; dr but about the part I did read, too EARLY

You're a junior... take the time to prep and stop obsessing over TLS. You'll have the time period from when you take the LSAT through admission and possibly even into Law School to obsess here.

leave the neuroses to those of us already in the game.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 am

In my opinion, it's not too early at all.

I started to study for the LSAT when I was a Junior as well. Wasn't ready enough for the June test and postponed until October of my senior year. If you want to apply to law school next fall as a senior, your best bet is to start studying as soon as possible for the June LSAT. This gives you 5-6 months to improve heavily and get a solid score. If June ends up not working out, then you have October as your fall back (again, this is all assuming you plan to apply as a senior in undergrad). Also, if you have your eyes on schools like Harvard, make sure to try to get the highest GPA possible. Try your hardest to get 4.0's instead of 3.7's.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:19 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:In my opinion, it's not too early at all.

I started to study for the LSAT when I was a Junior as well. Wasn't ready enough for the June test and postponed until October of my senior year. If you want to apply to law school next fall as a senior, your best bet is to start studying as soon as possible for the June LSAT. This gives you 5-6 months to improve heavily and get a solid score. If June ends up not working out, then you have October as your fall back (again, this is all assuming you plan to apply as a senior in undergrad). Also, if you have your eyes on schools like Harvard, make sure to try to get the highest GPA possible. Try your hardest to get 4.0's instead of 3.7's.
Correction: I didn't say that it was too early to start prepping, I think it's too early to start obsessing over what his chances are now given what his PrepTests look like now. There is quite some time between now and June to get those scores way up and he'd have a much better idea of how he could possibly due on the LSAT closer to June than he would right now.

Athlone McGinnis

New

Post by Athlone McGinnis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the honest advice and insight.

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:02 pm

I would really study for the LSAT you are clearly smart enough to get a very very very good score.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”