Law School Admissions Coach Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rwesq

New

Law School Admissions Coach

Post by rwesq » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Have your application reviewed by a professional before you apply to law school. What law school you attend can mean the difference in millions of dollars over the course of your career, so it is important that you get this decision right!

I am a lawyer, professor and personal coach.

I attended a top 10 school and was admitted to several other top 10 schools (U. of Chicago, UC Berkeley, Duke) as well as others outside the top 10 (Emory, UNC Chapel Hill, Georgetown).

I have a thorough understanding of law school admissions generally and admissions for "URM" specifically. I can help you get into the law school of your dreams!

We can work on any or all of the following:

***LSAT preparation
***Personal Statement
***Admissions essays
***Resume drafting
***School selection

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Law School Admissions Coach

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 pm

How is your experience transferable ? Not many law applicants are AA males with a national cross-examination debate title from college.

rwesq

New

Post by rwesq » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Agreed, the admissions process is very personal. My knowledge of the process is transferrable. I've reviewed applicants as a law students, written law school recommendations as a professor and been through the process myself. I can't guarantee you success, but I can guarantee reliable and reasonable advice.

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:07 am

Last edited by shbe0701 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:29 am

shbe0701 wrote:AA Male 162 3.62 also Jewish if that is of any relevance. Also: student athlete, student govt, a lot of volunteer activity, two study abroads, and work experience. I sent in all my applications over the past three weeks and basically blanketed the entire top 25 with the help of fee waivers.

I'm debating on retaking in December and am currently practice testing at 165.

Is it worth it to keep the early application advantage or to retake with the only hopes of a 3-5 point gain...?
Drake? Is that you?

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:51 am

chimp wrote:
shbe0701 wrote:AA Male 162 3.62 also Jewish if that is of any relevance. Also: student athlete, student govt, a lot of volunteer activity, two study abroads, and work experience. I sent in all my applications over the past three weeks and basically blanketed the entire top 25 with the help of fee waivers.

Is it worth it to keep the early application advantage or to retake with the only hopes of a 3-5 point gain...?
Drake? Is that you?
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rwesq

New

Post by rwesq » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 am

No, I don't think it is worth it given what you said. Your practice scores should be discounted by a few to account for the pressure and circumstances of the day. I suspect that if you are practice testing at 165, your actual score will still be in the 162-3 range. If you start testing at 168-170 then I would say reconsider testing.

Alternatively, you can apply early with a note that you plan on retaking the LSAT in December. If the adcomm thinks that the lsat score is the issue they will hold off on the decision. But given those statistics, you are competitive at many places provided that you have a solid personal statement and recommendations.

-rwesq

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 am

Do international students qualify as URM? Does it vary by countries/regions?

GirlStop

Bronze

Post by GirlStop » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:
chimp wrote:

Drake? Is that you?
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**DEAD**

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:43 am

Last edited by shbe0701 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GirlStop

Bronze

Post by GirlStop » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 pm

I believe you have to tell them you are retaking in order for them to hold off on making a decision on your app..

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:19 am

GirlStop wrote:I believe you have to tell them you are retaking in order for them to hold off on making a decision on your app..
Correct, and some law schools will not hold your app for a retake... I would advise to check each school's policy. (Calling is usually easier than trying to find that info on the LS admissions sites/FAQs).

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:How is your experience transferable ? Not many law applicants are AA males with a national cross-examination debate title from college.
wait, who won a CX national debate title? You or the op?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:38 pm

chimp wrote:

Drake? Is that you?
I'm actually going this way

--ImageRemoved--

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:52 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
chimp wrote:

Drake? Is that you?
I'm actually going this way

DELETED

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Last edited by shbe0701 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:39 pm

shbe0701 wrote:Hmmm should I be offended, or should I be flattered that you took time out of your day to find these images.

~The life of a novelty black Jew
it's TLS, never be offended

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:14 pm

rwesq wrote:No, I don't think it is worth it given what you said. Your practice scores should be discounted by a few to account for the pressure and circumstances of the day. I suspect that if you are practice testing at 165, your actual score will still be in the 162-3 range. If you start testing at 168-170 then I would say reconsider testing.

Alternatively, you can apply early with a note that you plan on retaking the LSAT in December. If the adcomm thinks that the lsat score is the issue they will hold off on the decision. But given those statistics, you are competitive at many places provided that you have a solid personal statement and recommendations.

-rwesq
TITCR.

Had a 162 from Dec. '10, was scoring between 167-170 several weeks leading up to the Oct. 2011 test, choked and came out with a 166. I've always been a solid standardized test taker, but it honestly just got to me the day of the test. You should be 5 points over your goal going into the test. That is the only way to be sure of hitting it.

E

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”