MA/PR/Hispanic Applicants Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Rawlberto

Bronze

MA/PR/Hispanic Applicants

Post by Rawlberto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 pm

I see that there are a lot of us on TLS, and none of us have gotten any clear answers to questions as LSN profiles for MA/PR/Hispanic are very limited. So a space to share concerns, tips, strategies, etc. should be helpful.

164, 3.33, 2yr WE, Weak softs

Looking to get into a T14, which my gut tells me will take an ED on my part. People seem to say that URM cycles are "unpredictable" so just ride it out, but the limited information I have seen seem to suggest MA/PR/Hispanic cycles tend to be closer to Caucasian cycles to than to AA cycles. Thoughts?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Re: MA/PR/Hispanic Applicants

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 pm

i'm not gonna even try and speak to the MA boost because i have no idea. but i'll post how my cycle turns out.

3.37/167, MA. mediocre softs and no WE. looking at t14-ish, mostly cornell, usc, ucla, gtown, UT.. i don't know if it's even worth applying to MVP...

Rickjames11

New

Post by Rickjames11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:52 pm

I have read that MA/PR get +5 on the LSAT. That is what I have read on other threads, which I believe is based on
LSN. However I fully agree with you, there isn't alot of information out there for us (MA/PR). Best I have been able to find is pretty much what you have found, urm = unpredictable cycles. Which I doesn't help my neurosis, and im sure yours.

I have similar numbers. 165, 3.4 @ top public. Although I do have atleast one strong soft: Marine Corps Officer Candidates School and I ranked 3rd/231. Im going to retake and blanket the t14, even though i'm only really interested in ca schools. UCLA is my top pick and im going to ED but they typically take higher GPAs. UC Davis and Hastings are much more likely for me but im still going to take shots at the t14 regardless.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:03 pm

hey rickjames, i'm gonna ED at ucla too. best of luck to us. TBH, you might be selling yourself short by dipping down to hastings/davis if you don't get UCLA. anecdotally, the MA boost "goes further" on the east coast (california does have the highest number of hispanic people in the US, after all), so you might get dinged at UCLA but have a shot at gtown/cornell.

and you can include those in your cycle and still ED UCLA too, since cornell only has non-binding EA, and gtown has a much later ED deadline than UCLA, so you can totally ED gtown later on if UCLA rejects/defers you. just my thoughts!

MAapplicant

New

Post by MAapplicant » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 pm

3.5/160 MA here. Will let ya know how cycle turns out!

StrongSofts

New

Post by StrongSofts » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:11 pm

3.45 163 PR hoping for Fordham, W&M, BC, or W&L. I think that some of you guys might be shooting a little high, but I don't know PR and MA cycles are near non-existent from what I can see. I think I might blanket the T14 just in a throw it all at the wall and see what sticks kinda deal, with the LSAC fee waiver it will only cost me what like $100 to blanket the T14? If I get in that's great, if not oh well.

Rickjames11

New

Post by Rickjames11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Perhaps we are shooting high, but it is worth a shot. I have seen a few URMs on LSN that broke the t14 with similar numbers. I'd like to think my softs and PS/DS will make the difference. Also, I am retaking and shooting for a 170. An MA with a 170 is sure to crack the t14 easy...

Rickjames11

New

Post by Rickjames11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Also, shouldn't california law schools give MAs an increased bump, not a smaller one, to reflect the state's population? After all, isn't that why URMs get a bump at all, to reflect the population? I understand it is to reflect the national population. But you would think that the states themselves would try to reflect their populations locally. Hmmm..

DWinter18

New

Post by DWinter18 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:52 am

Hey Guys,

Mexican-American here, 3.38 from a top 20 University, pretty good recs (the professors I asked loved me), work experience. Just got a 169 on the October test and wondering if I should ED UVA or Georgetown... I really want to get into a T14, though UCLA would be sweet also. What do you guys think? UVA replies to an ED in 15 days so it's low risk. I don't think I really have a shot at anything higher than that...

Would either of those schools look down on my retake? I got a 162 first time, then this 169. I hope that doesn't hurt me.

Good luck to everyone regardless!

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 am

Hey guys! I'm 170/4.06/South American. I really have no idea if I'm going to get a boost... HYSC would be awesome though :)

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Hello everyone. Thought I'd chime in. MA, 167 (October), 3.11 lsdas (3.9 ugpa). Strong upward gpa trend. I'm still deciding on whether to retake to try for the 170+. I am also thinking of ED'ing to UCLA.

Good luck to all. Let's keep each other updated.

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:38 pm

lol, all us MA applicants seem to have thought about EDing to UCLA

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi "other Hispanics" :D (don't you love that term on the apps?) I'm 168/3.5 south American, hoping it gives me a tiny boost since I have less than stellar numbers... Or at least that being Hispanic and TFA might help a little.

Should add: Texas resident, EDing NU and reaching for duke, UT, Vandy, and Cornell.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:49 pm

curious -- do "other hispanics" // non-PR and MA get any URM boost/counted as URM for law school admissions? i keep hearing different things

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:13 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:curious -- do "other hispanics" // non-PR and MA get any URM boost/counted as URM for law school admissions? i keep hearing different things

I'd like to know this, too. Especially for an "other hispanic" who identifies with more than one race (white+black, not necessarily African-American, for instance).

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=250

Howlery, Double and frankly check out the above thread :lol: We are having a discussion in there, and there's lots of stuff from the previous cycle as well.

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Hey Guys,

My GPA is 3.75 which is fine but I f'd up my LSAT and scored a 160 which while ok, was under my average and is going to make getting into the very top schools a bit difficult. However, I agree that there really isn't enough information on MA/PR applicants so I guess I'll do my part and post my results on here in addition to creating a profile on LSN.

Btw my approach to applications equates to using a shotgun, I'm applying to almost all of the t14 and to about 12 schools that rank between 15-55.

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Rickjames11 wrote:I have read that MA/PR get +5 on the LSAT.

No. The MA boost is around +5 or +7 (it's been shrinking for the past couple of years). PR, however, is much larger. More like +10 or +12, according to Anna Ivey. "Other Hispanics" get no bump.

etizzle

New

Post by etizzle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Are you sure about the PR boost? I thought Ivey was very vague and only discussed AA getting as high as a 10 point boost

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

It is often better than AA (this makes sense since PRs on average score considerably lower than AAs), but less predictable since there are so few PRs in America. For instance, if a school hasn't had enough qualified PR applicants to fill its quota, it would dip down much lower than it ever would for AA applicants to accept them. There was a PR on this forum a couple years ago who had 164/163 and a 3.4 and was accepted at Harvard with no remarkable softs. An AA in that situation wouldn't have stood a chance.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:58 am

Mexican American right here, yo!
3.6 UGPA from U of Texas
Waiting to retake the LSAT (took it three years ago with a substandard score), but if PTs are indicative, I expect a 165+.
Masters Degree, with 2.5 year Teaching Assistant position
Completed a Masters Thesis on the legal recognition and indigenous identities of a local tribe
Immigrant parents with no education and grew up in an impoverished, gang filled neighborhood

Somehow, I tied all that into my PS pretty well, so hopefully it does give me a boost.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 am

Got into Harvard! 170/4.06/non-URM Hispanic (1/2 South American)

POSERmyLOVE

New

Post by POSERmyLOVE » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Other hispanic, Salvadoran American although I am very Mexicanized (long story) I am hoping to get into the 160s this saturday and with my gpa of 3.72 get into a good school on the east coast if not into any here in cali.....it all depends on this saturday, my old lsat score was a 151 -__-! Best of luck to all my people!

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:10 pm

162 3.55. I was accepted at Iowa, Ohio St, Creighton, and Nebraska already. I am more interested in scholarship money than shear admissions, however. Other schools I am really interested in include Wisconsin, Illinois, WUSTL, SMU, and Tulane.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”