Do the UCs know I'm a URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Do the UCs know I'm a URM?

Post by chucklesmcgee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm reviewing my applications now and noticed that the demographic information I put in doesn't show up on the preview page of the application, presumably because it's "for reporting purposes only". I identified as AA on my LSAT, LSAC profile and on the now-hidden demographic information- will the UCs know I'm URM if I don't put anything else? I've gotten a number of mailings from schools that want me to apply because I'm AA, presumably because they know this because they searched through the LSAT database. Is it possible then that the UCs will know I'm an URM even if I don't mention it in my PS? It sounds like the UCs still do a sort of shadow URM boost since they aren't allowed to do it overtly.

I've already written my PS and there's really not an easy way to slip it in. Do I need to write a diversity statement?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Re: Do the UCs know I'm a URM?

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:32 pm

chucklesmcgee wrote:Do I need to write a diversity statement?
You should write one anyway.

whenwin

New

Re: Do the UCs know I'm a URM?

Post by whenwin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Last sentence of personal statement: PS, I'm AA.

Seriously, though, if you want to be absolutely sure schools (particulary the UCs) know that you are a URM, you should write a diversity statement.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”