Please Critique My DS--will be taken down tomorrow Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
spek

Bronze

Please Critique My DS--will be taken down tomorrow

Post by spek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:25 am

I'd appreciate any advice/insight on my DS. It's still in its early stages; I've spent some time working on it but I'm at a loss about what to do next. Please don't quote this because I will be taking it down and don't want to leave any traces behind.

Thanks for the help!

---

Thanks again. Back to the drawing board :)
Last edited by spek on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Please Critique My DS--will be taken down tomorrow

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:06 am

CONSIDER: "...while I struggled...", instead of "...and I struggled...".

CONSIDER: "...an unusual relationship...", rather than "...a unique relationship..." since "unique" is as overused--and misused--as is "countless".

This is a much improved essay, but is still in need of further revision. The first three paragraphs are better than the final two paragraphs, in my opinion.

P.S. The last two paragraphs mix verb tenses; sentences need to be restructured & "amalgam" seems a bit forced and artificial even though accurate. Consider "mixture" instead of "amalgam".

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am

Hey I think I like your idea but here are my suggestions

1. I think you should also focus on your life after 17. What have you done after the trip? Also you need to incorporate more of yourself into the essay. Give more examples and details.

2. I know its not a personal statement but it feels like a general trip to a foreign country, whats unique about Nigeria (apart from the fact that you are from there)? How does this impact contribute to your diversity?
Did you experience some culture shock? What hardships or successes has your culture brought on you?
More details

You need to be a little more personal because right now almost any Nigerian who has gone back to their country can have these experiences. Also how has your Nigerian identity affected the other places you lived in and people you have come in contact with?

Yoo dara o

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for the responses so far! Any other thoughts?

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:11 am

Last edited by spek on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 pm

*bump

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”