lgbt aa 168/3.5 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Apply now or retake LSAT?

Apply now
88%
Retake LSAT
13%

Total votes: 32

grlll

New

lgbt aa 168/3.5

Post by grlll » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 am

I'm an African-American female with a 168 LSAT and 3.5 UGPA. I don't have any notable softs, other than a masters degree and being lgbt. I want to attend law school in D.C., and I figure that as it stands, I have a decent shot at money from Howard and maybe getting into GW, American or George Mason. I'm trying to decide whether I should apply this cycle or wait a year and take the LSAT again in hopes of maybe getting into Georgetown or getting scholarship $ somewhere. Advice?

bdubs

Gold

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Post by bdubs » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 am

You'll probably get GULC and GW with a 168 as an AA. You could probably aim higher in the T14 and still have decent odds. Not sure about URM scholarship $$ though.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 am

Why not aim higher? If your concern is the ability to work in DC after obtaining your law degree then you shouldn't worry. A degree from HYS shouldn't have any problems snagging you a job there.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 am

Alltheirsplendor wrote:Why not aim higher? If your concern is the ability to work in DC after obtaining your law degree then you shouldn't worry. A degree from HYS shouldn't have any problems snagging you a job there.
OP's got a very good shot at all the way up to H with her current numbers, according to LSN. These people got in with comparable numbers last cycle. If you want to go to DC for LS you are SET. Probably into Georgetown with big money. Eskimogirl did especially well with very similar numbers.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/eskimogirl
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LSPrincess/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cnc2114/jd

So no, no need to retake unless you're dead set on Yale, IMO.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:Why not aim higher? If your concern is the ability to work in DC after obtaining your law degree then you shouldn't worry. A degree from HYS shouldn't have any problems snagging you a job there.
OP's got a very good shot at all the way up to H with her current numbers, according to LSN. These people got in with comparable numbers last cycle. If you want to go to DC for LS you are SET. Probably into Georgetown with big money. Eskimogirl did especially well with very similar numbers.

Ah, I suppose my writing was vague. When I wrote aim higher I meant apply to higher ranked school. I wrote that because of stats like those you listed.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:

Ah, I suppose my writing was vague. When I wrote aim higher I meant apply to higher ranked school. I wrote that because of stats like those you listed.
I think OP indicated she wanted to be in DC for law school (not work). With her current stats she is basically a lock at Georgetown (the best school in DC) with money.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:

I think OP indicated she wanted to be in DC for law school (not work). With her current stats she is basically a lock at Georgetown (the best school in DC) with money.
AH!!! RC FAIL!!!!!! And it all makes sense now.

grlll

New

Post by grlll » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:16 am

Thanks so much, guys! This has been very helpful. And sorry for the confusion: I'm interested in both going to law school in and working in D.C., but I'm more flexible on the school as long as they place well in the D.C. area.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:37 am

grlll wrote:Thanks so much, guys! This has been very helpful. And sorry for the confusion: I'm interested in both going to law school in and working in D.C., but I'm more flexible on the school as long as they place well in the D.C. area.
Ah, in that case throw an app at S and H. I think you have a strong chance at Harvard. And I'm positive you won't have any problems with placement.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:20 am

Aim higher. My GPA is higher, but LSAT counts more. I'm a LGBT AA female with a 162. I'm going to Columbia. You can get into Georgetown for sure.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:19 pm

grlll wrote:Thanks so much, guys! This has been very helpful. And sorry for the confusion: I'm interested in both going to law school in and working in D.C., but I'm more flexible on the school as long as they place well in the D.C. area.
might as well throw an app at HYS, see what you get. There are a bunch of options that are probably as good as Georgetown for DC (including CLS, NYU, UChi, UVA) if you're more flexible on which school you attend. Might as well apply somewhat broadly and leverage any award money you get for Georgetown at the very least. Good luck :)

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:23 am

You should check out my cycle, since I'm a queer black female with Very similar numbers. Write a banging DS and PS, get some good reccs, and I think you'll have your pick of the T14. You can PM me if you have any questions!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whirledpeas86

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:48 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:You should check out my cycle, since I'm a queer black female with Very similar numbers. Write a banging DS and PS, get some good reccs, and I think you'll have your pick of the T14. You can PM me if you have any questions!

Why did you not apply to HYS? You had a great shot at H

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:You should check out my cycle, since I'm a queer black female with Very similar numbers. Write a banging DS and PS, get some good reccs, and I think you'll have your pick of the T14. You can PM me if you have any questions!

+1. Gtown is just a big safety in your case.

Also, Gia is that a self tar?

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:16 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

@Gaia: I considered it, and I sometimes regret not having done so, but I really didn't think I had the numbers for HYS. Hindsight is 20/20, you know.

@yngblkgifted: I'm not the OP and I didn't apply to Georgetown because I already live in DC and was trying to gtfo. The only school remotely close to DC that I applied to was UVA and that was the only school out of the 14 that I applied to that outright rejected me. :lol:

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:47 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

@Gaia: I considered it, and I sometimes regret not having done so, but I really didn't think I had the numbers for HYS. Hindsight is 20/20, you know.

@yngblkgifted: I'm not the OP and I didn't apply to Georgetown because I already live in DC and was trying to gtfo. The only school remotely close to DC that I applied to was UVA and that was the only school out of the 14 that I applied to that outright rejected me. :lol:
I'm just gonna say this. I see that you deposited at Michigan...but you got it in to basically all of the schools you applied to, aside from UVA, which has accepted URMs with lower numbers. Michigan is a great school. No doubt. But....if you would have applied to Harvard, you probably would have been outright accepted. At the very least WL/accepted.

If you're dying to go to school this year, that's fine. But not applying to HYS when you had a great shot at H, and a decent chance at Y and S, is something I would postpone a year of law school to fix. I hate saying this about Michigan, but I feel like you're selling yourself short.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 am

I'm just gonna say this. I see that you deposited at Michigan...but you got it in to basically all of the schools you applied to, aside from UVA, which has accepted URMs with lower numbers. Michigan is a great school. No doubt. But....if you would have applied to Harvard, you probably would have been outright accepted. At the very least WL/accepted.

If you're dying to go to school this year, that's fine. But not applying to HYS when you had a great shot at H, and a decent chance at Y and S, is something I would postpone a year of law school to fix. I hate saying this about Michigan, but I feel like you're selling yourself short.
+1

I know this isn't directed to OP, but it is along the same question she posed. Please don't sell yourself short. I hate to see people not applying because they think their numbers aren't good enough when they have a shot at one of the top three schools in the country. This is excellent advice. Though, I understand if you decide to stick with your current plans.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

+1 :D

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 am

TatNurner wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

+1 :D
No comment :wink:

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:19 am

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 am

No comment :wink:
Well, I think I speak for the other poster when I say:

:)

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:32 am

craaaaaaig!

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 am

sunynp wrote:

+1

I know this isn't directed to OP, but it is along the same question she posed. Please don't sell yourself short. I hate to see people not applying because they think their numbers aren't good enough when they have a shot at one of the top three schools in the country. This is excellent advice. Though, I understand if you decide to stick with your current plans.
This is shitty advice for a lot of different reasons.

First of all, I decided on Michigan not because I was selling myself short but because it was the school that felt like the best fit to me and that I could see myself really being happy during the 3 year slog through law school. If I really cared about prestige or rank That much, I'd be on my way to Columbia.

Second of all, URM boost not withstanding, NO ONE is a lock at Harvard. My GPA and LSAT are both below the 25th percentile, let alone the median. Yes, I might have had a shot, but it would have been iffy at best. So, to wait another year after I've already been through the whole application process to gamble on a Possible acceptance from H (not to mention having already quit my job, deposited at Mich, moving there on Sunday, with classes starting in about a month) is silly.

I may not have been clear when I said I sometimes wish I had applied to H (or Y or S, for that matter). The only reason I wish I had applied is to know for sure whether or not I would have gotten in. I fell in love with Michigan and Ann Arbor during the ASW and I honestly couldn't imagine myself going anywhere else. I don't regret the school I'm ending up at; I seriously could not be more excited. I just wondered if I would have gotten into HYS if I had applied.

Anyway, enough about my lack of love for H and Gaia's incredible rack. OP, if you want me to edit your DS/PS or have any questions, just holler at me in a PM. I can also send you my DS, which talks about being both queer and black, if you're interested.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:
sunynp wrote:

+1

First of all, I decided on Michigan not because I was selling myself short but because it was the school that felt like the best fit to me and that I could see myself really being happy during the 3 year slog through law school. If I really cared about prestige or rank That much, I'd be on my way to Columbia.

Second of all, URM boost not withstanding, NO ONE is a lock at Harvard. My GPA and LSAT are both below the 25th percentile, let alone the median. Yes, I might have had a shot, but it would have been iffy at best. So, to wait another year after I've already been through the whole application process to gamble on a Possible acceptance from H (not to mention having already quit my job, deposited at Mich, moving there on Sunday, with classes starting in about a month) is silly.

I may not have been clear when I said I sometimes wish I had applied to H (or Y or S, for that matter). The only reason I wish I had applied is to know for sure whether or not I would have gotten in. I fell in love with Michigan and Ann Arbor during the ASW and I honestly couldn't imagine myself going anywhere else. I don't regret the school I'm ending up at; I seriously could not be more excited. I just wondered if I would have gotten into HYS if I had applied.

Anyway, enough about my lack of love for H and Gaia's incredible rack. OP, if you want me to edit your DS/PS or have any questions, just holler at me in a PM. I can also send you my DS, which talks about being both queer and black, if you're interested.
Ah ok. I thought you wanted Harvard. Sorry! And best of luck at Michigan. It is a great school.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:28 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
sunynp wrote:

+1

Just trying to help you out. :) No reason to call my advice shitty but you are entitled to your own opinion. I made it very clear that I thought Michigan was a great school. But imo, telling someone to apply to HYS is never bad advice because those schools open more doors than all others. So I only meant you were selling yourself short in this context.

Also, I never said you were a lock at Harvard; I said you had a great shot. I just know for a fact that a lot of URMs at most schools are accepted with numbers below the 25 percentile, and I know plenty of URMs at H with numbers similar to yours and even lower. So no, your shot would not have been iffy at best. Not at all. I simply thought it was a mistake for you not to apply because you foreclosed an opportunity that would have benefited you.

But you chose Michigan and seem very happy with your choice. Wish you the best next year.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”