Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Kronk

Diamond

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Post by Kronk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:This post is going to give me nightmares. Perhaps he didn't write a diversity statement?
I don't think it should give you nightmares. I mean, he eventually got into Harvard. And I think he didn't wait on SLS (although if you haven't heard from SLS in late April you're pretty much toast). I think dinged from YLS.

Seems to me like URMs are the one case where a reverse splitter (i.e. 165 / 4.0) may have as good or better a chance than a normal splitter. Keep in mind, a 3.4 is probably the lowest GPA that Harvard let in for that year including URMs. I can understand where that might be a waitlist. A 3.6 / 174 is a guaranteed in almost everywhere, I would imagine.

3.0 is pretty low for a GPA. That's all I'm saying. Probably near the lowest if not the lowest including URMs that Columbia would let in for a given year. I would certainly not say it's a guaranteed thing, even with the great LSAT score. Especially without something to distance you from that GPA like legit work experience or a very difficult major. You're talking about the top four law schools in the entire country. 3.0 is probably at or below the UG median for most schools. I think it makes sense to not consider it a given.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:Did he apply during the recent admissions cycle? If he did then you have to keep in mind that Columbia was acting very strangely during that cycle...
No. The year before.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:15 pm

TatNurner wrote:Wow, that is a strange data point. Would it be fair to say that this guy is an outlier? I guess in the end he did get into H, so he wasn't really an outlier in the end, but there is something rather strange about AA male, 2 years WE, early app along with those numbers getting shut out like that.

What type of school did he go to?
He went to a top 50 undergrad, private school.

For CLS, definitely an outlier. As for getting into HLS, I think that might be somewhat of an outlier too. As I posted above, I think 3.4 was the lowest GPA admitted (or bottom five) of five hundred and fifty kids.

sc2012

New

Post by sc2012 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah no use sugar coating it I messed up on my GPA. I was mediocre my first 2 years of school but I've have straight A's during the last year and a half. If they consider an upward trend worth anything then I'm in luck because my GPA has been perfect for 3 straight semesters now.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Kronk wrote:Seems to me like URMs are the one case where a reverse splitter (i.e. 165 / 4.0) may have as good or better a chance than a normal splitter. Keep in mind, a 3.4 is probably the lowest GPA that Harvard let in for that year including URMs. I can understand where that might be a waitlist. A 3.6 / 174 is a guaranteed in almost everywhere, I would imagine.
This is a fact. The URM boost for low LSATs is far larger than it is for low GPAs.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14 am

bk187 wrote:
Kronk wrote:Seems to me like URMs are the one case where a reverse splitter (i.e. 165 / 4.0) may have as good or better a chance than a normal splitter. Keep in mind, a 3.4 is probably the lowest GPA that Harvard let in for that year including URMs. I can understand where that might be a waitlist. A 3.6 / 174 is a guaranteed in almost everywhere, I would imagine.
This is a fact. The URM boost for low LSATs is far larger than it is for low GPAs.
This is very interesting, I would have thought that an AA Male with a 174 and +3.0 would be good at HS because so few AA males score 170+. But then again H is H and has their pick of the top URM applicants so that makes sense. I am surprised about Columbia however.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 am

yngblkgifted wrote:I would focus on Penn as well. Philly isn't that bad, and the school is amazing.
+1

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 pm

sc2012 wrote:This post is going to give me nightmares.
Ditto. And this is what I mean about the boost being unevenly applied. If you listened to what some posters say on here, you'd think that the guy in question would be almost guaranteed a full ride at a top 5 school. I'm not saying the AA boost doesn't help some people, because that would be a fallacy. But, gosh, it seems like it would be very possible to be the exception to the rule, especially as a lower GPA, higher LSAT URM.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”