Law School Fee Waivers Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Law School Fee Waivers

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm pushing my June test back to October because of finals, personal reasons, and I'm just not where I want to be currently so can I still apply for law school fee waivers without an LSAT score? Does anyone have personal experience with this? All advice is appreciated, thanks!

swilson215

Silver

Re: Law School Fee Waivers

Post by swilson215 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:I'm pushing my June test back to October because of finals, personal reasons, and I'm just not where I want to be currently so can I still apply for law school fee waivers without an LSAT score? Does anyone have personal experience with this? All advice is appreciated, thanks!
Will you be applying for need-based or merit-based waivers? Need-based waivers don't require LSAT scores, but if you're asking individual schools for merit-based fee waivers, they'll probably want to know your LSAT score.

If your GPA is high you might be able to find schools that will still give you fee waivers even though you haven't taken the LSAT yet. In my experience, though, most of the schools that I individually solicited for a waiver asked for my LSAT score.

Wait...are you talking about getting a fee waiver based solely on your URM status?

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:I'm pushing my June test back to October because of finals, personal reasons, and I'm just not where I want to be currently so can I still apply for law school fee waivers without an LSAT score? Does anyone have personal experience with this? All advice is appreciated, thanks!
Will you be applying for need-based or merit-based waivers? Need-based waivers don't require LSAT scores, but if you're asking individual schools for merit-based fee waivers, they'll probably want to know your LSAT score.

If your GPA is high you might be able to find schools that will still give you fee waivers even though you haven't taken the LSAT yet. In my experience, though, most of the schools that I individually solicited for a waiver asked for my LSAT score.

Wait...are you talking about getting a fee waiver based solely on your URM status?
I'll most likely be applying for need-based, but I was hoping I could send law schools an email giving them my GPA (currently a 3.85) and tell them that I'll be taking the LSAT in October. I wasn't talking about getting a fee waiver based solely on my URM status, but should this be something that I include?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote: I'll most likely be applying for need-based, but I was hoping I could send law schools an email giving them my GPA (currently a 3.85) and tell them that I'll be taking the LSAT in October. I wasn't talking about getting a fee waiver based solely on my URM status, but should this be something that I include?
Well, if you phrase it like that then I would imagine probably 50% or more of the schools might bite at giving you a merit-based waiver.

Personally, I wouldn't just be like, "PS - I'm a URM." or anything. I think your GPA should be enough. I was just wondering because this thread was in the URM section...?

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:14 pm

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an African-American college Junior at the University of _____ and I will be graduating in June 2012. My grade point average at ______ is a 3.xx and I will be graduating with honors in my ____ major. I am taking the LSAT this October, but I want to send in my application even before I take the LSAT.

While researching schools, (name of law school) stood out as a school that would be a prime fit for me and I was excited about applying. However, the recent economic downturn has made financing the application process a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. With this in mind, I would respectfully like to ask for a fee waiver to apply for admission to the Class of 2014. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

How does this sound?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:To Whom It May Concern:

I am an African-American college Junior at the University of _____ and I will be graduating in June 2012. My grade point average at ______ is a 3.xx and I will be graduating with honors in my ____ major. I am taking the LSAT this October, but I want to send in my application even before I take the LSAT.

While researching schools, (name of law school) stood out as a school that would be a prime fit for me and I was excited about applying. However, the recent economic downturn has made financing the application process a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. With this in mind, I would respectfully like to ask for a fee waiver to apply for admission to the Class of 2014. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

How does this sound?
Sounds fine to me. Here's the link to the blog entry I wrote on asking for fee waivers late last year: http://twentysomethinglaw.blogspot.com/ ... ivers.html A copy of the email I sent is posted there. Good luck!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:To Whom It May Concern:

Sincerely,

How does this sound?
Wouldn't it be class of 2015?

Sidenote... applying for the LSAC fee waiver may be worth your time.
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:59 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote: Wouldn't it be class of 2015?

Sidenote... applying for the LSAC fee waiver may be worth your time.
Ooooh, good catch. +1 to the LSAC waiver -- those $12 fees add up quickly.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Sorry it is the class of 2015. Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be able to get a fee waiver even though I don't already have an LSAT score. I'm a little worried that the need based waiver might not workout because of my parents small boost in income from last year, but if I can contact the school and get the waiver then it should be fine right?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:54 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Sorry it is the class of 2015. Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be able to get a fee waiver even though I don't already have an LSAT score. I'm a little worried that the need based waiver might not workout because of my parents small boost in income from last year, but if I can contact the school and get the waiver then it should be fine right?
I'll just PM you

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”