Applying in the fall, recommendations? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
b33eazy

Bronze

Applying in the fall, recommendations?

Post by b33eazy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Okay, I'm about to start studying for the LSATS that I'm going to take in the fall. However, during my stay at my university, I pretty much did nothing except going to school. I did join the Spanish Club, but I didn't have a ranked position.. But I'm joining the Political Science club this semester and will be the Secy. of the club, and I'm going to run for president of the Caribbean club in may and will be president in the fall, if I win. I also want to do an internship in the summer and the fall. So my questions are the following:

1. How many more clubs should I join?

2. Am I in a bad position doing stuff this late, am I too late?

3. Will it hurt my resume if I have a lot of activities within a short span of time (starting now applying in Nov.)?

4. Will me being a black American male cause top law schools to overlook my discrepancies?

EDIT: Also, my gpa is a currently a 3.47, and I'm trying to get it between a 3.49-3.54 by the end of the semester.
Last edited by b33eazy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glitter178

Silver

Re: Applying in the fall, recommendations?

Post by glitter178 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm

b33eazy wrote:Okay, I'm about to start studying for the LSATS that I'm going to take in the fall. However, during my stay at my university, I pretty much did nothing except going to school. I did join the Spanish Club, but I didn't have a ranked position.. But I'm joining the Political Science club this semester and will be the Secy. of the club, and I'm going to run for president of the Caribbean club in may and will be president in the fall, if I win. I also want to do an internship in the summer and the fall. So my questions are the following:

3. Will it hurt my resume if I have a lot of activities within a short span of time (starting now applying in Nov.)?

4. Will me being a black American male, with a Caribbean male, cause top law schools to overlook my discrepancies?
1.) get the highest score you can on the LSAT
2.) get/ keep the highest possible GPA
3.)forget about that other shit

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Glitter's right. None of that stuff matters. Unless you're genuinely interested in those clubs, use the time to study instead - If you do well on the LSAT you're set (especially with URM)

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about joining more clubs now, unless you want to. GPA and LSAT are almost exclusively what matter for admissions. In your case, being African American (although I realize that may not be exactly how you identify yourself) should help quite a bit though. I don't think it will matter that you are from the Carribean as long as you have African ancestry (and more specifically, check the African American box on the application).

I would be much more concerned about maximizing your LSAT score than about any club you could join. (BTW, I know it is nitpicky, but it is 'LSAT' rather than 'LSATS'- for future reference).
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm

LSAT is your life. Get a 165+, enjoy CCN.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/HopefulEsquire723/jd

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:LSAT is your life. Get a 165+, enjoy CCN.

But this guy went to a top 5 liberal arts college, and I'm going to Kennesaw State University--a non-ranked school, nationally. I thought I would need a higher gpa to compensate for my school lowly ranked school?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 pm

No. Just keep the GPA solid. Besides, even if it did matter, I think its fair to say you'd be happy with your cycle going even 3/4ths as well? Best of luck.

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:20 pm

I decided that I will do this:

I'm a mediator
I made the Dean's list multiple clubs
4 other clubs
Interning in the summer

That's what I will put on my resume... How's that? And my GPA will probably be 3.5x after this semester. So if I get above a 160 on my LSAT I should be in an amazing position for t14, right?
Last edited by b33eazy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tryin2makeit

New

Post by tryin2makeit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Don't out yourself as an applicant with identifiable information. Adcoms may frequent the boards FYI.

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks... Edited it.. But I recently joined the clubs this year and last year...

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:34 pm

glitter178 wrote:
b33eazy wrote:Okay, I'm about to start studying for the LSATS that I'm going to take in the fall. However, during my stay at my university, I pretty much did nothing except going to school. I did join the Spanish Club, but I didn't have a ranked position.. But I'm joining the Political Science club this semester and will be the Secy. of the club, and I'm going to run for president of the Caribbean club in may and will be president in the fall, if I win. I also want to do an internship in the summer and the fall. So my questions are the following:

4. Will me being a black American male, with a Caribbean male, cause top law schools to overlook my discrepancies?
1.) get the highest score you can on the LSAT
2.) get/ keep the highest possible GPA
3.)forget about that other shit
No one cares about clubs/extracurriculars unless you did something amazing. Use the time you would have spent in these clubs to study for the LSAT, write your Personal Statement and other essays, and get the best grades you can.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:36 pm

b33eazy wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:LSAT is your life. Get a 165+, enjoy CCN.

But this guy went to a top 5 liberal arts college, and I'm going to Kennesaw State University--a non-ranked school, nationally. I thought I would need a higher gpa to compensate for my school lowly ranked school?

Again no one cars GPALSAT GPALSAT GPALSAT GPALSAT GPALSAT, say it with me. what is a T5 Liberal arts college anyway?

Edit. Wellesley, Amherst, Middlebury, Williams College, Swarthmore etc.

casey224

New

Post by casey224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I agree, I think your time would be better spent focusing on the LSAT and your GPA and crafting an amazing personal statement. good luck :D

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

b33eazy wrote: So if I get above a 160 on my LSAT I should be in an amazing position for t14, right?
Not with a 160. Aim higher.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”