i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

where would you go if....

NYU only if Full scholly (hypothetical b/c I'm not sure)
13%
Full at UF (certain)
3%
No $$ at HLS
3%
No $$ at YLS
76%
NYU regardless of scholly
No votes
Northwestern
1%
Duke
No votes
Berkeley
3%

Total votes: 92

fatduck

Gold

Re: i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:36 pm

chrissyc wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
chrissyc wrote:And for the 2.9ers who are b*tching..don't worry about getting into yale...I doubt that you'd have any chance at matriculating anyway so consider it a favor that they rejected you instead of having you drowning in debt.
L O fucking L. Whining about people being mean to you, and you drop that line?
Don't you think EVENTUALLY retaliation is justified?
i expect better from a 4.0 in psychology.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:37 pm

WTF happened here. To OP: I somewhat understand where you are coming from(though to a lesser degree). I too am very debt averse and considered taking top 10 full rides over Harvard w/ a 30k grant. In my case, I searched far and wide to find an informed person to tell me to take the full ride(outside of TLS b/c the vast, vast majority of ppl here just buy into the echo chamber and have no clue what they are talking about). No one even hesitated in telling me to take Harvard. To the extent that you are considering HLS vs. YLS that is seriously a personal decision. DO NOT buy into the hype of always choosing Yale b/c of the magical small class size and you being a "special" hot commodity. I dont know where the idea of rarer commodity comes from but I have been unable to find a single person in the legal field that didnt laugh at it. Yale's LRAP is better in most cases (though there are some cases in which Harvard's is better) but not to the extent that it should really be the ultimate deciding factor. You should visit both schools, if possible, or consider the strengths of each school and make your decision. Harvard has vast resources because of its large size and is located near a very nice city(if this is important to you and your spouse). Yale is known to be more of an intimate environment b/c of its small class size and probably has academia as its calling card(though Harvard does very well here too).

FWIW, people who work in the legal/legal academia field and know me personally really believed HLS was the best fit for me out of HYS (as did I). Just as an example, I am a fairly independent student who doesnt really care for a ton of interaction with profs. I am interested in academia but not to the extent that I am dead set on it. In addition, I have a somewhat corporate background and plan on taking a few classes in the business school during law school. They also thought that HBLSA would be a great resource. In my case, choosing Harvard over Yale wouldve made perfect sense.

All that to say, you really have to evaluate your own personal strengths, weaknesses and goals when choosing between schools of similar regard. In your case, it sounds like you should expect a large grant from HYS so really UF should not even be in this discussion. The Anbryce would really be tempting but its definitely not a slam dunk (I know multiple people currently at HLS who turned it down).

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Knock wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
Knock wrote:
This is what I'm thinking as well. Obviously OP is very concerned about debt, so I think if she gets the scholly, it should be legitimately considered. This is NYU.
Agreed. There's no wrong decision here, but I think OP might be happiest with the NYU full ride, if she gets it. She won't have to stress or worry about the loans at all, and she will have strong job prospects from NYU, assuming she doesn't have a strong preference for academia.
+1
OP: So we have a decision (somewhat) Kill that interview, and go to NYU.

Good luck

Thank you. This is the plan.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 pm

chrissyc wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
chrissyc wrote:And for the 2.9ers who are b*tching..don't worry about getting into yale...I doubt that you'd have any chance at matriculating anyway so consider it a favor that they rejected you instead of having you drowning in debt.

yes, but retaliation should be delivered in an amount roughly equal to the original slight

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I expect I'll wake up in the morning to see a lock. I wake up at 7:00 AM, btw.

Edit: I don't actually hope you graduate at the bottom of your class . . . just maybe bottom third :)
Ok, but yeah.
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 pm

chrissyc wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
And for the 2.9ers who are b*tching..don't worry about getting into yale...I doubt that you'd have any chance at matriculating anyway so consider it a favor that they rejected you instead of having you drowning in debt.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

How's weight gain/major physiological change going?

Really well...I will be bikini ready in no time ....thanks for asking. Ehhh weight gain is no longer an issue...on the straight and narrow. Good stuff.
Actually, I apologize for that. It really was unnecessary, even if entirely incited by your assholishness towards fatduck.

I happen to still think that Yale beats all alternate options, including NYU full ride, but if you're truly debt averse enough to be uncomfortable with a six figure debt, you may well feel more comfortable (and thus do better) choosing the latter (assuming you get it). Good luck to you.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:40 pm

tkgrrett wrote:WTF happened here.
OP has the maturity of a 15 year old but numbers good enough to get her into Yale. 98% of TLS does not have the numbers to get into Yale and is seriously jealous.

Hilarity ensues.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:41 pm

fatduck wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
i expect better from a 4.0 in psychology.

You know what I will applaud you. You're clever. You're mean but clever. Maybe it works for you.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:41 pm

The fact that you have UF up there makes me think flame, but I'll put my two cents in.

1) Go to Yale, because it's Yale.
2) ??? (don't flunk out)
3) Profit

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Drake014 wrote:
OP has the maturity of a 15 year old but numbers good enough to get her into Yale. 98% of TLS does not have the numbers to get into Yale and is seriously jealous.

Hilarity ensues.

Yeah...I'm the immature one but you have people slinging insults left and right because they can't cope with their jealousy. How is that my fault or flaw?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:42 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:

yes, but retaliation should be delivered in an amount roughly equal to the original slight
my participation in this thread:

told op to go to yale (good advice)
told op to quit whining (mild chastising)
jokingly recommended uf because i'm a gator fan (neutral)
suggested that negative response may be due to jealousy (obvious)
argued with army douche for a bit (off-topic)

TELL ME, DID I DESERVE IT?

cern

New

Post by cern » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 pm

hey, guys, sorry if this is off topic, but does witnessing this thread make me a combat veteran?

I'm thinking of sending out an addendum.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 pm

cern wrote:hey, guys, sorry if this is off topic, but does witnessing this thread make me a combat veteran?

amazing first post.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 pm

fatduck wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:L O fucking L. Whining about people being mean to you, and you drop that line?

my participation in this thread:

told op to go to yale (good advice)
told op to quit whining (mild chastising)
jokingly recommended uf because i'm a gator fan (neutral)
suggested that negative response may be due to jealousy (obvious)
argued with army douche for a bit (off-topic)

TELL ME, DID I DESERVE IT?
Damn right you did. You and that smarmy dog swinging tar. You think you're better than the rest of us.

cern

New

Post by cern » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:45 pm

fatduck wrote:
cern wrote:hey, guys, sorry if this is off topic, but does witnessing this thread make me a combat veteran?

amazing first post.
What did you expect from someone GOING TO HARVARD!?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Drake014 wrote:

Hilarity ensues.
In fairness, OP's acceptance wasn't solely about numbers. URMs with high GPAs are golden for HYS, assuming 165+, and high gpas coupled with 165+ LSATs are hardly a rarity on this board.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

fatduck wrote:

amazing first post.

LoL

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

cern wrote:
fatduck wrote:

amazing first post.
:lol: Whose alt are you? I salute you.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:47 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

Hilarity ensues.
In fairness, OP's acceptance wasn't solely about numbers. URMs with high GPAs are golden for HYS, assuming 165+, and high gpas coupled with 165+ LSATs are hardly a rarity on this board.
I was going to point this out, but didn't want an AA debate to interrupt the general failure of this thread after the first page.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 pm

i was mean...in fact that was not nice at all. i shouldn't have said that fatduck. lol. it kind of actually makes me feel bad that i said that. so no, you didn't 100% deserve it but you deserved something and that's what came out at the time so it was a good substitute for a retaliatory comment of equal magnitude to your chastisement/provocation.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

Hilarity ensues.
Judging by your response, I'm putting you in the category of one of the jealous ones.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Also for OP, http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... Situations

check out examples 3 and 4. When you factor in taxes, looks like your spouses income wont really be factored in at all at only $40k. If you/your family are as poor as you say you should expect ~$30K from Harvard and a similar amount from Yale.

ETA: I feel like an asshole for posting a substantive post earlier in the page.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:50 pm

chrissyc wrote:i was mean...in fact that was not nice at all. i shouldn't have said that fatduck. lol. it kind of actually makes me feel bad that i said that. so no, you didn't 100% deserve it but you deserved something and that's what came out at the time so it was a good substitute for a retaliatory comment of equal magnitude to your chastisement/provocation.

See. I knew we could all get along

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Drake014 wrote: instigation
We're in the process of making amends. Don't ruin it.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: come on dude. fatduck might be a big silly douche but he is never as mean spirited as you are being right now. also, WE KNOW YOU GOT INTO HARVARD OK WE KNOW ALREADY
I don't talk bad about anybody ever.
unc0mm0n1 wrote:well with that 2.9 you don't have to worry about that.

Your 3.9 in business management and your 167 LSAT > 2.9 in shitty electrical engineering and 170 LSAT. You are clearly more intelligent than fatduck. Enjoy Harvahd.
cern wrote:
fatduck wrote:

amazing first post.
edit: lol gif fail
Last edited by moopness on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”