Is Asian URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dliu3

New

Is Asian URM?

Post by dliu3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:26 pm

I am an Asian student. Am I considered a URM?

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Re: Is Asian URM?

Post by quetzal_bird » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

no

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

no. ORM

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:34 pm

absolutely not.

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:36 pm

If you apply to schools like Alabama or Mississippi then you might get some boosts

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I've been wondering about that. My vote is -ish.

Technically no. But if the goal is to get the highest percentage of minorities in a class, Asians count. I have no evidence of this, but I would think if being Black or Hispanic gives you a 10 point bump, I wouldn't be surprised if being Asian gives you ~3-5.

Keep in mind, this is a theory. But look at how many Blacks are at Cornell vs how many Asians and then think about the percentage of Blacks and Asians in the US.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:45 pm

lisjjen wrote:I've been wondering about that. My vote is -ish.

Technically no. But if the goal is to get the highest percentage of minorities in a class, Asians count. I have no evidence of this, but I would think if being Black or Hispanic gives you a 10 point bump, I wouldn't be surprised if being Asian gives you ~3-5.

Keep in mind, this is a theory. But look at how many Blacks are at Cornell vs how many Asians and then think about the percentage of Blacks and Asians in the US.
I don't think it is useful to assign a point value to the boost given to different URMs, but if you are, Hispanics (and by this I mean MA/PR) certainly do not get a 10 point boost

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Filipinos might be URM at law school. Just say you are black.

Omegared179

New

Post by Omegared179 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 pm

saladfiend wrote:Filipinos might be URM at law school. Just say you are black.
What do you mean? That Filipinos are black?

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:03 pm

No but it probably wouldn't hurt to write a diversity statement if you had atypical upbringing

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:50 pm

I mean that if you feel that you deserve the same "bump" as someone who is black because your group is just as (if not more) underrepresented, then perhaps you should check off that you are black, since it is unclear what these words mean.
Last edited by saladfiend on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm

saladfiend wrote:I mean that if you feel that you deserve the same "bump" as someone who is black because your group is just as (if not more) underrepresented, then perhaps you should check off that you are black.
Thats a stupid fucking idea. Do NOT check a box unless you identify with that group.
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm

saladfiend wrote:I mean that if you feel that you deserve the same "bump" as someone who is black because your group is just as (if not more) underrepresented, then perhaps you should check off that you are black.
wat

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:52 pm

This is absolutely not true...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:55 pm

dpk711 wrote:

+1

Asians are overrepresented in law schools. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine it actually helping when it comes to LS admissions.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:55 pm

I need a "URM rubric" so that I could know how many points (if any) to add to my LSAT score.
Last edited by DukeCornell on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:55 pm

The simple answer to forum topic question is "no." There really is nothing more to discuss. If you can write an essay showing socioeconomic disadvantage, however, you should write it, especially if you are applying to a California public school.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 pm

DukeCornell wrote:I wish there was a "URM rubric" so that I could know how many points (if any) to add to my LSAT score.
I don't think it would be helpful because URM admissions are so school specific. Some schools are just looking to create different diversity profiles in different cycles. At least, that's how I feel about the unpredictability of URM cycles

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 pm

private schools might even have quotas

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Now don't get it twisted, in terms of schools advertising their diversity as in "minorities" they absolutely DO factor in asians into that number. But as far as any potential LSAT boost, not happening partner.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:01 pm

I might go as far as to say that Asians actually are penalized a point or two on their LSAT scores because they (we) are so overrepresented.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 pm

saladfiend wrote:The simple answer to forum topic question is "no." There really is nothing more to discuss. If you can write an essay showing socioeconomic disadvantage, however, you should write it, especially if you are applying to a California public school.
this and that is all.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 pm

dpk711 wrote:I might go as far as to say that Asians actually are penalized a point or two on their LSAT scores because they (we) are so overrepresented.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

+1

Asians are overrepresented in law schools. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine it actually helping when it comes to LS admissions.
It's a theory, and probably a shaky one. I was just arguing the concept of low hanging fruit. That is to say, it makes sense to me. We're going into law - it doesn't matter what a thing is, what matters is how it looks on paper. If the percentage of minorities at a school pushes its USNWR ranking up regardless of what minorities they are, then at the very least, schools aren't going to penalize you for being Asian.
dr123 wrote:
Thats a stupid fucking idea. Do NOT check a box unless you identify with that group.
This. $200,000 is an awful lot of money to spend if you're going to be debarred for ethics violations.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:27 pm

lisjjen wrote: It's a theory, and probably a shaky one. I was just arguing the concept of low hanging fruit. That is to say, it makes sense to me. We're going into law - it doesn't matter what a thing is, what matters is how it looks on paper. If the percentage of minorities at a school pushes its USNWR ranking up regardless of what minorities they are, then at the very least, schools aren't going to penalize you for being Asian.
The percentage of minorities attending a school is a factor in the USNWR?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”