Does this matter? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
abby3211

New

Does this matter?

Post by abby3211 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm going to be applying at 20 and I'm a single mom. Anybody know if this kind of circumstance gives a boost as far as diversity or something?

privatemf

New

Re: Does this matter?

Post by privatemf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 am

Does the school you plan to attend have an optional statement? Also, if you are using the LSAC website to do the applications I believe the schools have their instructions on there; as well as the definations what they consider to be URM. Whatever the case it can't hurt.

I also wanted to say that I am happy to hear that a 20 year old single mother is preping for law school. You didn't let being a single mother hold you back and I can relate to you. I had my first child at 15. I have had a lot of things to deal with as far as progessing in life and at 28 almost 29, I am completing my MBA and praying to get move on to law school. You go girl!!! I really hope your story leads to inspiring others in the future.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 am

I doubt that it will give you an admissions boost, in fact, it might raise concern as to how you will handle the demanding first year of law school with a , presumably, infant child in a one parent home. This, however, can be addressed in your personal statement. Some point out that they live with relatives--often parents--willing to take on childcare responsibilities. Law school admissions committees tend to be concerned with how applicants handle responsibility--and there is no greater responsibility than raising & caring for one's infant child.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 am

I disagree that it won't have a benefit. Schools will throw extra money if they really want you. You never know what will benefit you in things like this. Things that helped me at some schools to the point the dean attached notes saying, "Wow. What a background!" hurt me tremendously at other schools. I'd imagine being a single mom at 20 might have the same influence. On the other hand, being a minority is always a positive.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 am

Actually it is likely to have a negative impact if your child is still an infant. The first year of law school is usually much more demanding time-wise than a full-time job & produces a type of stress to which many have never been exposed at this stage of their young lives.
Did the OP ever indicate that she is an URM ?

abby3211

New

Post by abby3211 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I live at home with my parents and my mom is a stay-at-home-(grand)mom to help me. I'm actually getting out of undergrad a year early by taking heavy course loads, so I'm hoping that will help dissuade schools from thinking that just the amount of course work would be too much. I'm really wanting to go to Tennessee because then I can still live at home with all the extra help and I know they have a personal statement portion of the application... hopefully they will see it as a responsibility thing?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 pm

abby3211 wrote:I live at home with my parents and my mom is a stay-at-home-(grand)mom to help me. I'm actually getting out of undergrad a year early by taking heavy course loads, so I'm hoping that will help dissuade schools from thinking that just the amount of course work would be too much. I'm really wanting to go to Tennessee because then I can still live at home with all the extra help and I know they have a personal statement portion of the application... hopefully they will see it as a responsibility thing?
I think you're good.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”