, Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 pm

k
Last edited by lolol10 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: autism a legitimate topic for diversity statement?

Post by fatduck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm

as long as you mention the people's court

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 pm

I think so. I think the purpose of a diversity statement is to acknowledge things about you that have had a large impact on your life, and that set you apart from the thousands applying. Go for it!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Of course it is! I mean, what percentage of LS applicants, and LS students have autism? Probably not a lot. As long as you don't make it the focus of your personal statement, it would be a great diversity statement topic. People too often confuse the diversity statement as a restatement of URM status, which is not just what it's for.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.

lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm

aspire2more wrote:Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

Make sure that it is a compelling statement, of course, but also make sure that it won't give the admissions committee reason to think that your autism will some how interfere with your ability to A) do well in a law school environment and B) practice law.
good point. i wrote it as a kind of maturation of character/personal triumph essay. in the essay i included that i ended up transferring to a top 20ug institution and that i did very well there academically and socially. hopefully that conveys my potential for success

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:06 pm

lolol10 wrote:
aspire2more wrote:Is it a legitimate topic? Yes. Can it hurt you depending on what you say? Yes.

good point. i wrote it as a kind of maturation of character/personal triumph essay. in the essay i included that i ended up transferring to a top 20ug institution and that i did very well there academically and socially. hopefully that conveys my potential for success
Without having seen your essay, it sounds like you did convey that pretty well. Best of luck to you!

laurified

New

Post by laurified » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:58 pm

yeah, i wrote my diversity statement about my experiences being a woman on the autism spectrum

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 am

This. Personally I'd stay away from it, but to each his/her own.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Moxie wrote:

This. Personally I'd stay away from it, but to each his/her own.
TITCR.

It's unfortunate but sometimes admissions committees don't like to hear about things like this. It's really frustrating (not to mention counter-intuitive). But it sounds like you took a good approach so I hope things go well. Let us know how things turn out!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

A diversity statement is a written piece of work outlining something unique about the writer, usually about race, culture, or a difficult background.

Lolol10 is derived from the acronym lol, meaning laughing out loud, and most likely means that the OP is laughing out loud ten separate times.

March 20th last year was a Saturday, not a Sunday. I started my day brewing coffee, pouring myself a cup, and then drinking it as I read Twilight Eclipse, a book loaned to me by Judy, my friend, on the 5th of March 2010, a Friday, at 11:10am.

My answer is yes.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm

YES. It's a very legit reason to do a DS, and while people can say "stay away from it," truth is, adcomms know what high functioning autism is (you'd be surprised how many law school professors have it), and that you made it through college with a lifelong, pervasive developmental disorder will speak volumes to your element of diversity to the class.

Autism is clearly a disability, and demonstrating that while you're on the autistic spectrum, you aren't some awkward Rainman will be HUGE. Having been perceived as "different" for your entire life and likely stereotyped are great reasons to do a DS. The odds of a school judging you negatively based on getting through college with autism are the same as them judging you because you're in a wheelchair.

I also did my DS on a similar condition and was often mistaken for retarded well into my teens--I kept it positive, demonstrated no hostility in being misjudged, and how I used being different to better connect and serve my community. I'm in T14. Or 13 or 15, whatever we're calling it these days :lol:

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm

SMA22 wrote:YES. It's a very legit reason to do a DS, and while people can say "stay away from it," truth is, adcomms know what high functioning autism is (you'd be surprised how many law school professors have it), and that you made it through college with a lifelong, pervasive developmental disorder will speak volumes to your element of diversity to the class.

Autism is clearly a disability, and demonstrating that while you're on the autistic spectrum, you aren't some awkward Rainman will be HUGE. Having been perceived as "different" for your entire life and likely stereotyped are great reasons to do a DS. The odds of a school judging you negatively based on getting through college with autism are the same as them judging you because you're in a wheelchair.

I also did my DS on a similar condition and was often mistaken for retarded well into my teens--I kept it positive, demonstrated no hostility in being misjudged, and how I used being different to better connect and serve my community. I'm in T14. Or 13 or 15, whatever we're calling it these days :lol:
T12, 13 and 15 don't exist.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Wapner didn't go to a T14

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”