AA Male - 162 Chance me! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SupraVln180

Silver

Re: AA Male - 162 - Where to apply?

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:09 pm

AA's typically get an LSAT boost of about 7-8 points. URMs don't really get much of a GPA boost. So OP, basically what I am saying is if you were white, you have a shot at the places where you can get in with a 3.2/169-170ish. So Vandy is possible, so is Cornell. Rest of the T-14 will be tough w/o ED.

M&A621

New

Post by M&A621 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:54 pm

dpk711 wrote:
egirarde wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:OP, do not listen to this person. This poster knows nothing of which he speaks. I'll suggest that you apply from CCN down.
dpk711 wrote:Duke (no shot)
UGA (no shot)
Vandy (no shot)
UVA (no shot)
UNC (shot)
NU (no shot)

Will do. Thank you for all of the advice, guys!!!
Prepare to be disappointed if you apply to the t-14, the best thing you may hope for are some WLs...
I say apply to ALL of them. You have nothing to lose (besides admissions fee) in applying to the Top ranked 14. So what if you get rejected? And? At least you'll know for sure. Nothing is set in stone (espeically numbers). Blanket apply to the Top 14, bro.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 am

Will do. Thanks!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:44 pm

UPDATE: out at U of Illinois, in with scholarship at Notre Dame($15k/year) and William & Mary ($4k/year). Looking forward to hearing from everywhere else! Thanks again guys!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:49 am

egirarde wrote:UPDATE: out at U of Illinois, in with scholarship at Notre Dame($15k/year) and William & Mary ($4k/year). Looking forward to hearing from everywhere else! Thanks again guys!
Another Update: Waitlisted at Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, and Priority Waitlist at Georgetown.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:00 am

egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:UPDATE: out at U of Illinois, in with scholarship at Notre Dame($15k/year) and William & Mary ($4k/year). Looking forward to hearing from everywhere else! Thanks again guys!
Another Update: Waitlisted at Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, and Priority Waitlist at Georgetown.
Did you end up retaking? or sticking with your first score?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:42 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
egirarde wrote:
No retake. Applied 2/16, which I guess is a day after most deadlines (and two weeks after Chicago's), but things didn't go all that bad considering. Giving thought to re-applying in the Fall. Pretty sure I could kill it if I get everything submitted in September.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:59 pm

egirarde wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
egirarde wrote:
No retake. Applied 2/16, which I guess is a day after most deadlines (and two weeks after Chicago's), but things didn't go all that bad considering. Giving thought to re-applying in the Fall. Pretty sure I could kill it if I get everything submitted in September.
good stuff, just wanted to the info for a couple of AA males who will be applying next cycle.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:07 pm

egirarde wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
egirarde wrote:
RETAKE and REAPPLY next year - even a few more points on the LSAT and an early application could make a world of difference. As a URM, a GPA over 3.0 and an LSAT over 164 should mean T13 or bust.

I'm speaking as a URM who applied late last year due to an LSAT retake in Feb (upped from 164 to 168) and ended up waitlisted at a bunch of schools ranked between 20-40. This year I applied early and got T13 despite having a GPA under 3.0. Wait a year, you'll be glad you gave yourself a better shot at the best opportunities available to you...

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:10 am

Understood. Still a tough choice... Just posted a poll here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=153486 please vote.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:20 pm

I've decided to retake in October. I'm still on the Michigan, Duke, NU, and Georgetown waitlist, but doubt I'm lucky enough to get admitted.

I'm searching TLS now for ways to improve and hope the next 90 days will be enough. I plan to apply day one everywhere in the T-14, but to ask the T6 to hold the review until my Oct LSAT score comes in. I figure if a Feb 16 app gets waitlisted at the schools I mentioned, I should be safe from an auto reject if I apply early (I hope).

Thank you for the advice. You might have saved me from myself.

E

KingMenes

New

Post by KingMenes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 pm

egirarde wrote:I've decided to retake in October. I'm still on the Michigan, Duke, NU, and Georgetown waitlist, but doubt I'm lucky enough to get admitted.

I'm searching TLS now for ways to improve and hope the next 90 days will be enough. I plan to apply day one everywhere in the T-14, but to ask the T6 to hold the review until my Oct LSAT score comes in. I figure if a Feb 16 app gets waitlisted at the schools I mentioned, I should be safe from an auto reject if I apply early (I hope).

E
Good luck with the October 2011 LSAT. Keep in mind that only 100-115 AA URMs score above a 165 within any testing year.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have an outside editor/English professional read your personal statement. As a URM, I say blanket the T1 schools from 1-50, as some, if not most, will waive the app fees. Also, create a http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com account so that we can follow your cycle.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:04 pm

If admitted to any of Duke, NU, Michigan or Georgetown, would you definitely attend ? If so, my best guess is that you should have your bags packed & ready. As a sidenote, I read that Duke's apps were down 20% this year & am, therefore, a bit surprised that you were not admitted. Did you have someone proofread your application essays & personal statement ? If not, then ask an English prof or another qualified person to check your materials. Good luck !

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If admitted to any of Duke, NU, Michigan or Georgetown, would you definitely attend ? If so, my best guess is that you should have your bags packed & ready. As a sidenote, I read that Duke's apps were down 20% this year & am, therefore, a bit surprised that you were not admitted. Did you have someone proofread your application essays & personal statement ? If not, then ask an English prof or another qualified person to check your materials. Good luck !
If Michigan, NU, or Duke calls, I'm on the next flight. At this point, GT would require a bit more thought. I've already come to terms with working for another year and I know I can do well with a few more points.

I thought my overall app was okay, but wasn't happy with my statement. Also, I didn't do a diversity statement which I'll be sure to do this year. Overall, applying Feb, 16 killed my chances at the T-14. It wasn't only late in the process, it was after the admissions deadline. I'm possitive I'll have good news to report by year's end. As always, thank you all for the support and advice.
Last edited by JustE on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Back with a 166. Not what I was hoping for, but whatever. Finalizing statements now.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm

I think you are competitive at the schools on your list, minus Duke. But, if I were you I would add a few of the lower T14 because you never know. good luck

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:15 pm

kwais wrote:I think you are competitive at the schools on your list, minus Duke. But, if I were you I would add a few of the lower T14 because you never know. good luck
Guessing you mean Cornell?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Blanket the T14 with the 166. Go to the school that gives you the free ride. Enjoy.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 pm

yeah, dpk is too harsh here. I think you're looking at a few T14s but URM is just tough to predict which ones they will be

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:41 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Blanket the T14 with the 166. Go to the school that gives you the free ride. Enjoy.
You really think I can pull a free ride with a 3.21? God I hope so. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks to you too, Jamz, for all of the advice and support.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:48 pm

I just realized my post was retarded b/c it was at a post from last year. Anyway, yeah, you are def going to be competitive at the lower T14 if not higher

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 am

KingMenes wrote:
egirarde wrote:I've decided to retake in October. I'm still on the Michigan, Duke, NU, and Georgetown waitlist, but doubt I'm lucky enough to get admitted.

E
Good luck with the October 2011 LSAT. Keep in mind that only 100-115 AA URMs score above a 165 within any testing year.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have an outside editor/English professional read your personal statement. As a URM, I say blanket the T1 schools from 1-50, as some, if not most, will waive the app fees. Also, create a http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com account so that we can follow your cycle.

Still waiting...
Last edited by JustE on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:55 pm

You should aim high! Don't listen to the people that tell you you have no shot. Remember: 25% of each incoming class falls below the 25th percentile LSAT and same goes for GPA. If you have fee waivers especially, apply broadly and prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Don't miss your chance by listening to people who tell you you have no shot unless they are from the ad comms...seriously. Good luck.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:23 pm

UPDATE: IN AT MICHIGAN!!!!! WOOOO!!!!!!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:27 pm

JustE wrote:UPDATE: IN AT MICHIGAN!!!!! WOOOO!!!!!!
congrats :D

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”