151......2.7GPA what schools should I consider? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
daburrel

New

151......2.7GPA what schools should I consider?

Post by daburrel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm

I am a AA male from New Orleans with a GREAT personal statement (I believe) about Hurricane Katrina and the rebuilding process which also speaks about why my GPA is not the best.....I am wondering though, with these numbers what schools I have a shot at?

My current list was Loyola New Orleans, LSU, Tulane (based on someone from this forum recommending, got a FEE waiver), NYLS, Arkansas LR....what schools to take off, what schools can I possibly add?

kk19131

Silver

Re: 151......2.7GPA what schools should I consider?

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Retake

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 pm

law school predictor has you as an admit at southern, in baton rouge, if you're interested in staying in state. the only other admit's it predicts are are florida a&m and texas southern. I know nothing about these schools. is says you're a consider at loyola NO, i think that might be you best bet. good luck.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Nowhere, you aren't qualified to be a lawyer.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Veyron wrote:Nowhere, you aren't qualified to be a lawyer.

Yikes.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 pm

You've got to have at least one number at or above the schools median to have a shot, even as a URM. Raising your LSAT is the only way to give yourself a shot - even a few points more could really help your case.

TLS article, Layola N.O: "Loyola claims that “Generally speaking, not less than a 154 LSAT score and a 3.4 GPA” are required for admission, though “a higher LSAT can balance off a lower GPA and vice versa.”

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

kk19131 wrote:

Yikes.
Sad but true.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Veyron wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

Yikes.
Sad but true.
that's your opinion. I will apply this cycle to take my chances since I have fee waivers. I am open to retaking if my choices are not best. I have a Alumn of Loyola as one of my LOR on top of great PS and I have a Why Loyola on the way, not to mention I am a local. I understand I am against all odds but I believe the 151 (improvement from Oct.) is a good sign and my Application will show that I am qualified. My numbers don't make me qualified or unqualified to be a lawyer, that's a false statement. Southern in Baton Rouge produce "lawyers", my goals was never BigLaw and Tier 1 wasn't ever something I looked for.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:26 pm

daburrel, i agree with you, the only thing that qualifies someone to practice law is the bar exam, and people pass that from all sorts of schools. Good luck.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:32 pm

twert wrote:daburrel, i agree with you, the only thing that qualifies someone to practice law is the bar exam, and people pass that from all sorts of schools. Good luck.
And the only thing that qualifies someone to be a writer is scribbling some words on a page - doesn't make you good at it.

But, since this is TLS. YOU CAN ACHIEVE ANYTHING YOU CAN DREAM.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Veyron wrote:
twert wrote:daburrel, i agree with you, the only thing that qualifies someone to practice law is the bar exam, and people pass that from all sorts of schools. Good luck.
And the only thing that qualifies someone to be a writer is scribbling some words on a page - doesn't make you good at it.

my point is its not your job to evaluate people you don't know on a message board. especially when its not what he asked for. he wanted to know where he should apply. that's all he asked for. if you think he's making a bad decision fine, i'm sure your not the only person who has told him that. but be decent to people.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:36 pm

twert wrote:
Veyron wrote:

my point is its not your job to evaluate people you don't know on a message board. especially when its not what he asked for. he wanted to know where he should apply. that's all he asked for. if you think he's making a bad decision fine, i'm sure your not the only person who has told him that. but be decent to people.
Why, so he can mess up some poor client's life or his own?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 pm

There are a lot of people at my school who I think are unqualified to be lawyers and I go to a T1. Numbers aren't everything.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:There are a lot of people at my school who I think are unqualified to be lawyers and I go to a T1. Numbers aren't everything.
Protip, you're probably right.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Oh no... a shot at Illinois?

:shock:

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Not at all. I'm saying two numbers don't automatically determine whether you are 'qualified' to be a lawyer and it cuts both ways. There are great lawyers that went to shitty schools and there are shitty lawyers that went to great schools. We can tell OP not to go to the kind of school he can get into with those numbers because of the terrible job prospects he will face but I think any other judgments are misplaced.

daburrel

New

Post by daburrel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Veyron wrote:

You changed from "you aren't qualified to be a lawyer to NOW "doesn't make you good at it".......I have thick skin so I can take the negativity so I don't worry about comments like that of Veyron. Johnnie Cochran went to Loyola in CA which was a Tier 3 at the time, he was one of the greatest. I am NOT interested in BigLaw and it seems like that's the only decision most people on here decide from and I understand that and I don't mind because obviously I posted here but you show inconsistency in your own statements and I just feel like you need to chill out. You are not the decider of my life so you can't tell me if I am qualified to be a Lawyer or a GOOD Lawyer.

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:39 am

daburrel, keep the haters at bay. If you survived Katrina, then you already know what it is. Whether you retake or take what you have, go hard. Whether you have a 151 or a 171, you're still the same person. The score may give you a leg-up on your peers in the short run, but your experience as a person and professional will set you a part in the long run. I work with consultants from the best business schools in America. Kats introducing themselves as "John from Kellogg." Trust me, the name may get you in the door, but it won't keep you there. Many of these folks have been hitting fastballs their entire life, while you're hitting sliders and curveballs. I'm coming from a similar place. Just go hard. Good luck..

TIME

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:36 am

TIMEATELL wrote:daburrel, keep the haters at bay. If you survived Katrina, then you already know what it is. Whether you retake or take what you have, go hard. Whether you have a 151 or a 171, you're still the same person. The score may give you a leg-up on your peers in the short run, but your experience as a person and professional will set you a part in the long run. I work with consultants from the best business schools in America. Kats introducing themselves as "John from Kellogg." Trust me, the name may get you in the door, but it won't keep you there. Many of these folks have been hitting fastballs their entire life, while you're hitting sliders and curveballs. I'm coming from a similar place. Just go hard. Good luck..

TIME
LOVE this.

That said, OP should still retake.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm

TIMEATELL wrote:daburrel, keep the haters at bay. If you survived Katrina, then you already know what it is. Whether you retake or take what you have, go hard. Whether you have a 151 or a 171, you're still the same person. The score may give you a leg-up on your peers in the short run, but your experience as a person and professional will set you a part in the long run. I work with consultants from the best business schools in America. Kats introducing themselves as "John from Kellogg." Trust me, the name may get you in the door, but it won't keep you there. Many of these folks have been hitting fastballs their entire life, while you're hitting sliders and curveballs. I'm coming from a similar place. Just go hard. Good luck..

TIME

I had classes in Kellogg.

:lol:

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:07 pm

TIME

This is extremely true. Especially seeing how 80% of the law school population are priviledged white kids whose daddy and grandpa were lawyers. This was an insightful post and Dilla FTW.

august08

New

Post by august08 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Didn't read all of the comments, but I'm from Arkansas so I'm familiar with UALR. You WILL get into University of Arkansas Little Rock. They are THIRSTY for African American Males. But write an addendum (detailed) to that GPA and LSAT, and a passionate PS.

divinelygolden

New

Post by divinelygolden » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:03 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:

TIME
LOVE this.

That said, OP should still retake.
I love this too. And absolutely true @SupraVln180 However with all of that said I must agree with @EbonyEsq I think you should retake. And possibly invest into a great prep course. This way you can choose the door you want instead of the other way around.

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:34 pm

daburrel wrote:Southern in Baton Rouge produce "lawyers", my goals was never BigLaw and Tier 1 wasn't ever something I looked for.
I would take a look at southern, its very cheep for LA residents ($8,000 per Year) its a good opition over any other T4 but make sure your look is good and long

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:53 pm

esq wrote:You've got to have at least one number at or above the schools median to have a shot, even as a URM. Raising your LSAT is the only way to give yourself a shot - even a few points more could really help your case.

TLS article, Layola N.O: "Loyola claims that “Generally speaking, not less than a 154 LSAT score and a 3.4 GPA” are required for admission, though “a higher LSAT can balance off a lower GPA and vice versa.”
The bolded statement is simply false. OP, you DO NOT have to have scores within that 1 digit margin this poster suggests. Simply checking LSN would prove my point as fact. Does it give you a stronger chance, YES. Is it a general prerequisite for URM admission, NO.

You do however have to make yourself a bit more competitive. Apply to Southern. Regardless, you should study hard (with THE LSAT BIBLES) and retake. I have no doubt that you can climb up to a 155 with a strong study schedule. Put all your effort into raising your score. Doing so will make you competitive for the better of the schools you referenced (i.e. LSU, Loyola). Even if you aren't trying to do biglaw, a higher score will open the door for $ at any of the lower schools or give you an opportunity for admission at some.

DO NOT APPLY NOR GO TO FAMU. As an undergrad HBCU they are able to provide jobs. As a law school that is newly minted they CANNOT.

Note: Just be aware/realistic of your earning potential from any of these schools. What do you aspire to career wise? Public Defender work? Regardless, good luck to ya my brotha.
Last edited by mez06 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”