How are Bi-Racial Applicants Considered? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Raramuri415

New

How are Bi-Racial Applicants Considered?

Post by Raramuri415 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:02 am

If you are half URM (i.e. latino/AA) and half caucasian, how do you think this is viewed by schools vs. an applicant who is 100% of one URM race?

AreJay711

Gold

Re: How are Bi-Racial Applicants Considered?

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:25 am

Raramuri415 wrote:If you are half URM (i.e. latino/AA) and half caucasian, how do you think this is viewed by schools vs. an applicant who is 100% of one URM race?
I'm sure it is about the same as a "full URM". This is a little cynical but they may be double siced because on their stat sheets they could double count your minority heritage.

Mustard Blood

New

Post by Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 am

I have a slightly different question. My dad's AA, and my mom's Mexican, so I'm half-and-half, but they were never married and I have my mom's last name. If I self-identify myself as both, do you think there could be any negative ramifications? Namely, do you think schools would think I'm lying?

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:19 am

Mustard Blood wrote:I have a slightly different question. My dad's AA, and my mom's Mexican, so I'm half-and-half, but they were never married and I have my mom's last name. If I self-identify myself as both, do you think there could be any negative ramifications? Namely, do you think schools would think I'm lying?
Are you serious?

You should be writing a diversity statement anyways........

Mustard Blood

New

Post by Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 am

DieAntwoord wrote:
Mustard Blood wrote:I have a slightly different question. My dad's AA, and my mom's Mexican, so I'm half-and-half, but they were never married and I have my mom's last name. If I self-identify myself as both, do you think there could be any negative ramifications? Namely, do you think schools would think I'm lying?
Are you serious?

You should be writing a diversity statement anyways........
Um, yeah. I didn't mean to sound retarded.

That makes sense. Thanks.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:23 am

No negative ramifications, self-identify as both.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”