n Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
merrik62

New

n

Post by merrik62 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:43 am

nnnnn
Last edited by merrik62 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwigt

New

Re: 161/3.6 URM chances!

Post by Dwigt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Lower T14 is in play IMO. I don't know as much about chances in the upper T14.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:35 am

merrik62 wrote:161/3.6 URM AA/MEXICAN female. Born in Mexico, Dad is from Haiti. I'm Bilingual-Does any of this even matter? Just curious to see where people think I should apply is t14 out? I'm asking because I know my LSAT is crap....
Unless you're a naturalized citizen, I don't think you're a URM.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:12 am

blackwater88 wrote:
merrik62 wrote:161/3.6 URM AA/MEXICAN female. Born in Mexico, Dad is from Haiti. I'm Bilingual-Does any of this even matter? Just curious to see where people think I should apply is t14 out? I'm asking because I know my LSAT is crap....

Unless you're a naturalized citizen, I don't think you're a URM
Blatantly false

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:48 am

LLB2JD wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:

Blatantly false
I don't believe Haitian counts as AA/Black...I could very well be wrong, but it is important to ensure you don't check the wrong box

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:50 am

LLB2JD wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:

Blatantly false
Unless I'm missing something, international student =/ URM

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 am

blackwater88 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:

Blatantly false
Unless I'm missing something, international student =/ URM
Interesting point. Are you? If so, Haitian would INDEED be considered African-American. Some schools have another individual box for individuals born in the islands while most schools roll it up under AA.

I'm curious, is your dad of Mexican decent or Haitian? And if Haitian, is there any reason why you are claiming the Mexican versus the latter?

merrik62

New

Post by merrik62 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 am

OK to clear things up. I was born in Mexico but basically grew up in the U.S. and I am a naturalized citizen, so no I am not an international student. My dad is not of Mexican decent he is Haitian, and if anyone is unfamiliar with Haitians they are BLACK. (just so its clear lol). I am mixed but I look 100% African American/Black and because of this (and other reasons) I have always identified as a black/AA female. Although I self-identify as black much of my culture is Mexican, I'm a Mexican citizen and my first language is spanish. I don't usually bring up the fact that I'm mixed mainly because I don't see any reason to, I'm a black female with Mexican roots. It wasn't until I decided to apply to law school that one of my professors suggested I mention the fact that I have duel citizenship and to be more open about my Mexican heritage. SOOOOO I hope this clears up some of your questions... :D

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

merrik62 wrote:OK to clear things up. I was born in Mexico but basically grew up in the U.S. and I am a naturalized citizen, so no I am not an international student. My dad is not of Mexican decent he is Haitian, and if anyone is unfamiliar with Haitians they are BLACK. (just so its clear lol). I am mixed but I look 100% African American/Black and because of this (and other reasons) I have always identified as a black/AA female. Although I self-identify as black much of my culture is Mexican, I'm a Mexican citizen and my first language is spanish. I don't usually bring up the fact that I'm mixed mainly because I don't see any reason to, I'm a black female with Mexican roots. It wasn't until I decided to apply to law school that one of my professors suggested I mention the fact that I have duel citizenship and to be more open about my Mexican heritage. SOOOOO I hope this clears up some of your questions... :D
Then enjoy the URM boost :D

Y este mas orgullosa de su nacionalidad Mexicana :P

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”