will med school withdrawal affect law school admissions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
patchin411

New

will med school withdrawal affect law school admissions

Post by patchin411 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:06 pm

So I was miserable in med school. Patient deaths and family crisis made my experience unbearable. I went to Harvard and will be given a masters of science for my time. I spent 4 years there. Will law schools care? I have a 3.8 cum GPA in Chemistry. I also graduated from an ivy league school. I am a black male and have a grad degree from oxford.

My interest are in intellectual property/patent law and health care law.

Where should I apply?

arism87

Silver

Re: will med school withdrawal affect law school admissions

Post by arism87 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:08 pm

If you can explain this in a way that shows why you are now set on law school and why you feel this experience will end differently, write an addendum or address it in your statement. Otherwise I feel that the degree will help more than hurt.

As far as where you should apply- what's your LSAT?

patchin411

New

Post by patchin411 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:14 pm

LSAT 161. What score do i need to hit T6 and T3.

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:16 pm

patchin411 wrote:LSAT 161. What score do i need to hit T6 and T3.
168 may do it, but likey 170+?

patchin411

New

Post by patchin411 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Does my gpa offset a lower lsat score? Is there a LSAT boost for being an AA male

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:20 pm

patchin411 wrote:Does my gpa offset a lower lsat score? Is there a LSAT boost for being an AA male
To some degree, but your LSAT score is very, very important. Yes, there is a boost for being an AA male, however it's not a straight up "+5 LSAT" or anything. It's very subjective. You sound like you have excellent credentials and are very intelligent, so you will certainly be a strong candidate. However, you will likely need to up your LSAT a bit for HYS, and maybe for CCN too.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:21 pm

patchin411 wrote:Does my gpa offset a lower lsat score? Is there a LSAT boost for being an AA male
Your GPA will HELP the situation but it doesn't really "offset" that LSAT. You do get a boost but if you look on LSN in previous cycles you can see how other URMs have done- most of them didn't seem to break the T14 with your numbers (although I did see someone come off the WL at Berkeley and a few Cornell admits). To go to a top school you'll likely need at least a few more points.

cortnf

Bronze

Post by cortnf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:21 pm

there are more high gpa's than high lsats, so no. yes there is an admissions boost for being an AA male, and your high gpa will definitely help there, but if you have the time/patience, retake the lsat. if you hit 165, you're a lock for most of the bottom half of the t14. hit 170, and you should be a lock for HYS.

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Please retake. Please. You can hit 170+. Please.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:24 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Please retake. Please. You can hit 170+. Please.
This.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Although it obviously can't hurt you, I don't think you absolutely have to retake. I think you can swing a top-6 acceptance with your numbers. From what I've seen/heard it seems to be the case that law schools tend to weigh GPA's much heavier for URM's. Also, your experience also will serve you well when crafting your personal statement. But I think at the end of the day, you gotta make sure you're ready to actually go to law school. So you're not, err, posting something similar on a Business School Forum two years from now.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”