how to get a biglaw job as an AA male Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
patchin411

New

how to get a biglaw job as an AA male

Post by patchin411 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:51 pm

What grades do you need to get a Biglaw job as an AA male ? If you get in to a t14 do you need to be in the top 75% of the class?

bdubs

Gold

Re: how to get a biglaw job as an AA male

Post by bdubs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:03 pm

patchin411 wrote:What grades do you need to get a Biglaw job as an AA male ? If you get in to a t14 do you need to be in the top 75% of the class?
Work hard. Diversity hiring should help you out though. NALP reports number of minority employees by race and sex, so firms are keen to have at least a minimum amount of racial diversity.

patchin411

New

Post by patchin411 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:06 pm

But what percentage of my class do I need to graduate in to be considered?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

From what I've seen and heard recently, if you are above the median at a top 14 as an AA male and end up jobless, it's not because of your school or your grades.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:11 am

BruceWayne wrote:From what I've seen and heard recently, if you are above the median at a top 14 as an AA male and end up jobless, it's not because of your school or your grades.
Enter journals, clubs, sweetness? I have seen quips about AA males ending up in great jobs without stellar grades from t-14s, and others about them ending up jobless with decent grades from the same schools. In those threads I didn't find any discussion beyond journals/grades..

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:38 am

I feel like this is a flame.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:41 pm

BruceWayne wrote:From what I've seen and heard recently, if you are above the median at a top 14 as an AA male and end up jobless, it's not because of your school or your grades.
Median isn't a great place to be these days. I don't know any median guys that struck out but some came close. Anything below median is a total crapshoot. There's a line below which you're just dead but it's hard to say where that line is.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”