What to include?... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ChemistryMatters

New

What to include?...

Post by ChemistryMatters » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I have two DSs written (two shorter ones taken from one original long one)...I don't which one to chose because I don't know what should be prioritized in a DS.

I have heard that, if a URM, it is definitely best to include this in the DS. But, I have a lot of other experiences that I'm trying to tie in...what should take precedence?

Having learned to understand the significance of my Mexican cultural/ethnic background to my own development when I moved to a city that has a very large Mexican-American population

Both my parents have chronic mental and physical illnesses, as an only child I had to help out a lot at home...

We traveled a lot when I was kid -- lived in Japan and Germany

How being a female in a male dominated field (engineering) effected me

Issues growing up in lower socio-economic class...

My own mental health issues in my late teens to early twenties

Thanks!

Flett

Bronze

Re: What to include?...

Post by Flett » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm

I've heard that if you want the URM bump you need to speak to your culture/ethnic background somewhere in your application. You could potentially add diversity topics to your Personal Statement and free up your Diversity Statement for another topic.

If you already have diversity in your application, and you have other meaningful topics you could write about, then I don't see why you couldn't pick one of the other topics, such as "Issues growing up in lower socio-economic class..." or "We traveled a lot when I was kid -- lived in Japan and Germany," and use that as the DS focus instead of race.

Personally, I would stay away from mentioning mental health issues. Especially since you have other superior topics, imo, that you could use.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”