what are my chances with a 152 lsat Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
toddyky18

New

what are my chances with a 152 lsat

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:32 pm

what are my chances at the following schools with 152 LSAT and a 3.3gpa?
-AA male
-currently full-time in the military 7yrs
-no parents growing up
-attending multiply colleges to recieve my degree because of the military

Howard?
Miami?
Brooklyn?
Houston?
Penn State?
Maryland?
New York Law School?
Syracuse?

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Re: what are my chances with a 152 lsat

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Do you want money to attend law school or are you willing to pay sticker price?

I would remove NYLS from your list unless they are offering you a full ride. Only schools worth attending in NYC are CLS, NYU, Fordham and a distant fifth, Cardozo.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:39 pm

toddyky18 wrote:what are my chances at the following schools with 152 LSAT and a 3.3gpa?
-AA male
-currently full-time in the military 7yrs
-no parents growing up
-attending multiply colleges to recieve my degree because of the military

Howard?
Miami?
Brooklyn?
Houston?
Penn State?
Maryland?
New York Law School?
Syracuse?
do not apply to NYLS they almost lost their ABA.
Can you retake?

What above poster said. The only schools I would even think about going to on your list are Houston, and howard.

well, if I wasnt a white girl from MO
Last edited by sophia.olive on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Enjoy Howard, Syracuse or Miami.

toddyky18

New

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I want to start Law school in August because thats when Ill be getting out the military, so I really dont want to retake. The military is probably going to pay for most if not all the cost.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

toddyky18 wrote:I want to start Law school in August because thats when Ill be getting out the military, so I really dont want to retake. The military is probably going to pay for most if not all the cost.
Sweet! Would you then have the option to use your law degree as you see fit or would you still be obligated to the military?

I say apply to all the aforementioned since money isn't an issue and see what acceptances land your way. Good luck!

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Sorry dooder but Retake.

Houston would be worth going to but I really don't think you'll get in with you numbers as they are.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Retake in dec? Take a year off? The military will still pay for your school.
This means you can go to a higher ranked school without scholarships without having to pay, not that you should just go to any school.

toddyky18

New

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm

wHAT ABOUT MY CHANCES AT HOWARD AND MIAMI,MY TWO TOP CHOICES?

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:58 pm

toddyky18 wrote:wHAT ABOUT MY CHANCES AT HOWARD AND MIAMI,MY TWO TOP CHOICES?
I don't know much about Howard, but I think you definitely have a shot at Miami since you are a URM. There will probably be no scholly money involved though.

Again, please retake.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:00 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
toddyky18 wrote:wHAT ABOUT MY CHANCES AT HOWARD AND MIAMI,MY TWO TOP CHOICES?
I don't know much about Howard, but I think you definitely have a shot at Miami since you are a URM. There will probably be no scholly money involved though.

Again, please retake.
He's not retaking and he won't be paying for his schooling. The military will. He just needs to get into one of the list law schools.

OP, I definitely think you're in at Howard.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Retake. Seriously. I didn't want to retake and go through the process of studying again either. On the other hand, I knew a few point jump could be the difference between a 20-30 school and possibly a T-14 school. Not to mention an increase in score also opens up more $, which could be relevant if the military won't foot the whole bill.

Retake.

toddyky18

New

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks every for the advice. Im a single parent, and a full-time memeber of the military.Retaking the LSAT is probably an unlikely option right now. If I could get into Howard or Miami then thats enough relief in its own.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:19 pm

toddyky18 wrote:Thanks every for the advice. Im a single parent, and a full-time memeber of the military.Retaking the LSAT is probably an unlikely option right now. If I could get into Howard or Miami then thats enough relief in its own.
Just remember that if the time commitment for a retake is tough as a single-parent the time commitment for law school will probably be equally daunting (I don't know, I'm applying this cycle).

And, the time you spend in law school is an investment as well. So even if the military pays the tuition, you want to be sure you're going to a school where you're likely to get a job when you leave. A law degree doesn't do much good if you can't find a job, even if you didn't pay for it.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:21 pm

TheOcho wrote:
toddyky18 wrote:Thanks every for the advice. Im a single parent, and a full-time memeber of the military.Retaking the LSAT is probably an unlikely option right now. If I could get into Howard or Miami then thats enough relief in its own.
Just remember that if the time commitment for a retake is tough as a single-parent the time commitment for law school will probably be equally daunting (I don't know, I'm applying this cycle).

And, the time you spend in law school is an investment as well. So even if the military pays the tuition, you want to be sure you're going to a school where you're likely to get a job when you leave. A law degree doesn't do much good if you can't find a job, even if you didn't pay for it.
x2

Howard is pretty decent with placements though. Even some BIGLAW firms recruit from the school.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:25 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
TheOcho wrote:

x2

Howard is pretty decent with placements though. Even some BIGLAW firms recruit from the school.
My first inclination is to disagree. I will defer to a more knowledgable TLS vet but I believe the general consensus here would be to not attend Howard.

At least we agree there is more to consider than simply $, as it is a time investment and he (or she) is already unable or unwilling to take the time to retake the LSAT.

OP, your call. GL!

toddyky18

New

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:36 pm

From the research I conducted, Howard has very good job placement compared to many other schools, unless you already finished law school and have been out in the real world, then your guess is just as good as mines when it comes to job placement.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:42 pm

toddyky18 wrote:From the research I conducted, Howard has very good job placement compared to many other schools, unless you already finished law school and have been out in the real world, then your guess is just as good as mines when it comes to job placement.
If the research you conducted is based on stats provided by Howard, Please do some more research.

toddyky18

New

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

If you know differently could you please show me where it has Howard having bad job placement and a low salary for the private sector.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:49 pm

toddyky18 wrote:If you know differently could you please show me where it has Howard having bad job placement and a low salary for the private sector.
Off the top of my head, no I do not know differently. However, every, literally every school, will claim they have great private sector placement. You cannot, cannot, cannot, rely on the stats schools publish themselves.

If you were voting, would you base whether you vote for X solely on his brochures/TV ads? Or would you try to inform yourself via less partial sources?

Don't you find it troubling that they give you information on "reported jobs" but don' tell you what percentage of students reported? --> --LinkRemoved-- . For all you know, they could be posting the top ten percent of their school. Almost every school posts the percentage of students reporting. The only reason for not doing so would if the percentages were very low. And guess why they would keep the percentages low? Because the unreported numbers are horrible.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:50 pm

He probably has the GI bill.

The time commitment to study for the lsat while working full time in the military as a single parent, is indeed more than going to law school. I'm sure his time management is fine for law school.

You could retake in DEC and still apply this cycle. But if you don't have time to study what's the point?

If you're not going to retake, you might as well apply early and hope you get in. If you don't get in, don't sweat it, and apply next cycle.

Are you getting SEP pay? Did you know you can get unemployment when you get out of the military? and with the extensions it might take you through another year?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Howard accepted 61% of people with your stats last year.

I think you can get in there. And, I'd suggest you go if you do. If you do well at Howard, your job prospects will probably be better than the other, more regional, schools like Penn State.

toddyky18

New

Post by toddyky18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Mala 2
I will be getting the GI Bill,which is one of the reasons I want to start school next year,which will also pay for my housing. I know worried about time management during law school Im sure I can handle that. I doont know if November 15 is early but thats when Ill be applying. And I will be recieving Sep pay, and possible unemployment, but I dont wait to wait a full year

andedom

New

Post by andedom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm

maxm2764 wrote:Sorry dooder but Retake.

Houston would be worth going to but I really don't think you'll get in with you numbers as they are.
Yeah, me too. The mean LSAT for UT Houston is a 164 in 2010. That would be 12 points lower than the mean and your GPA is not close either.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:46 pm

toddyky18 wrote:Mala 2
I will be getting the GI Bill,which is one of the reasons I want to start school next year,which will also pay for my housing. I know worried about time management during law school Im sure I can handle that. I doont know if November 15 is early but thats when Ill be applying. And I will be recieving Sep pay, and possible unemployment, but I dont wait to wait a full year

yeah I should be getting the GI bill too, haven't put the app in yet. I would definitely try for Howard, it's a really good school. I don't know about schools in DC for you daughter/son, but you could always live in Virginia or Maryland on the metro. If they accepted 61% of people with your stats last year, I would think your chances are a lot better since you have WE. good luck! I was trying to say that I'm sure your time management is awesome since you're in the military, raising a kid, and finished college. A lot of people don't realize that crazy hours! I finished my masters while in and raising an infant by myself. I think I had a constant exhaustion headache.

I was only in for 4 years, so I didn't get SEP pay, but if I remember correctly, you are still eligible for UE, just not for the time that SEP pay covers. depending on where you live it's pretty good. I get $450/wk

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”