Do I REALLY need a diversity statement? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Spack

Bronze

Do I REALLY need a diversity statement?

Post by Spack » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:34 pm

I am struggling with writing my diversity statement. There is only one school that I am applying to that asks for one and even then it is optional. I know DS can be useful in helping your application to stand out, but I'm not sure if I really need one. I am an URM from an economically and educationally disadvantaged background. In my personal statement, I touched on being a first-generation student and also touched on how my educational background posed challenges from in my first two years in college. The only thing that I haven't mentioned is the fact that I am economically disadvantaged. Is that issue important enough to warrant a diversity statement? I just don't want to write one and have it not be good/not make a real difference.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Re: Do I REALLY need a diversity statement?

Post by HowdyYall » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:42 pm

i wouldnt worry about it bud. Im an AA raised in foster homes for my entire childhood. Although I couldve written a DS, i decided to integrate a little bit of this in my personal statement. I think most ad comms will prefer a concise, clear message after reading 300 apps before yours

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Do I REALLY need a diversity statement?

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Quite a few people integrate diversity points into their PS, and as a result don't need to write a DS. The point of a DS is to share information about how you'd add diversity to the school, and is only necessary if you're not already giving that info in the PS. They just need the info for it to help you, it doesn't really matter where you put it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”