Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
legalmo

New

Re: Any "other Hispanics" here feel they received a URM boost?

Post by legalmo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 pm

elm84dr wrote:
legalmo wrote:Well, I'm light brown(ish). As far as I know I'm completely Dominican (though from what I understand the ethnicity is a result of interbreeding) and I was born and raised in America. I wouldn't say I was really attached to any culture, but my parents are.

I guess I'm White. News to me :o .
I would not say you are white. If you have ever seen anyone who was biracial (half black, half white) and you look like any of them, then check off Black and Latino. If you are a Latino that looks like Cameron Diaz or Andy Garcia, then no, I would not check black. A-Rod or Christina Milian or even Michele Rodriguez, check black.
I'm that color, sure. If thats all it takes to get ~10+ LSAT points with certain schools then I'm all for it. If it means having massive debt and failing the bar, then I can't go for that (no, no).

Edit: By "that color" I mean Christina Milian, etc. Which means I'm all clear for Black + Latino? I'll still pass C&F?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 pm

elm84dr wrote:
legalmo wrote:Well, I'm light brown(ish). As far as I know I'm completely Dominican (though from what I understand the ethnicity is a result of interbreeding) and I was born and raised in America. I wouldn't say I was really attached to any culture, but my parents are.

I would not say you are white. If you have ever seen anyone who was biracial (half black, half white) and you look like any of them, then check off Black and Latino. If you are a Latino that looks like Cameron Diaz or Andy Garcia, then no, I would not check black. A-Rod or Christina Milian or even Michele Rodriguez, check black.
Honestly, for that "middle of the road", Michelle Rodriguez type I would just leave race blank. I am definitely more Andy Garcia, Ricky Martin-type (no homo). So I checked off white and cuban. If you are more A-Rod, Rosario Dawson, check black. But most hispanics do lie somewhere in the middle, if that is the case, leave race blank. That is the safest bet.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Damn man, I just got into Notre Dame. You think they will match my UNC scholly?

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 pm

congrats. as previously noted in at emory with scholly. will be visiting in april

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:46 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Damn man, I just got into Notre Dame. You think they will match my UNC scholly?
Couldn't hurt to ask, either way you're in! Congrats

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
elm84dr wrote:

Honestly, for that "middle of the road", Michelle Rodriguez type I would just leave race blank. I am definitely more Andy Garcia, Ricky Martin-type (no homo). So I checked off white and cuban. If you are more A-Rod, Rosario Dawson, check black. But most hispanics do lie somewhere in the middle, if that is the case, leave race blank. That is the safest bet.
Way off-topic here but if you haven't seen the "No Homo" video on you tube you've got to watch it.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:20 am

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
elm84dr wrote:

Way off-topic here but if you haven't seen the "No Homo" video on you tube you've got to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCbPvP5H9k

Is it this one?

Lol this dude, goes "Yo, man I'll suck your dick clean, no homo."

.....smh

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:55 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:

Is it this one?

.....smh
um no, but lol. this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCPY96Frtyw

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:30 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Is it this one?

.....smh
um no, but lol. this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCPY96Frtyw
Lol the one I posted is definitely better.

"Yo dawg, lemme get a slice of pizza? I'll give you a back massage no homo."

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Is anyone Nicaraguan?!

I hope that helps me. I have yet to hear back from schools. When I tell people I am Nicaraguan, they think I'm Nigerian. Nicaragua is in Central America, not Africa. :P

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 pm

ashleyryan wrote:Is anyone Nicaraguan?!

I hope that helps me. I have yet to hear back from schools. When I tell people I am Nicaraguan, they think I'm Nigerian. Nicaragua is in Central America, not Africa. :P
It should give you a slight boost. Shoot for some schools in the midwest, you get a bigger diversity boost than schools down the i95 corridor. I got into Notre Dame with a scholarship with a 3.6/163, I'm Cuban, so I believe it definitely gave me a boost.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

chimp wrote:I'm a Cuban with a fairly interesting story.

Don't feel like it helped me at all, except for the fact that I was WL'd at Michigan instead of outright rejected (well below both medians). Other than that, my cycle has basically gone the way Law School Predictor said it would.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/toddgack
Midwest schools man, midwest schools.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Yay for other Hispanics!
Last edited by LaCumparsita on Tue May 17, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Yay for other Hispanics! I'm applying next cycle, am South American, and have a 4.06/170. I hope I have a chance at HYSC?
YES. good chances.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Sun May 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Really!? That would be so awesome! I speak Spanish and plan to write a diversity statement... I just keep thinking my Hispanic heritage won't help since it didn't in undergrad... but fingers crossed!!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:42 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Really!? That would be so awesome! I speak Spanish and plan to write a diversity statement... I just keep thinking my Hispanic heritage won't help since it didn't in undergrad... but fingers crossed!!
Definitely in at Columbia, Maybe in at Harvard and Stanford. Probably out at Yale, but you never know.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Tue May 03, 2011 3:37 am

Haha fine by me! I do not expect to get into Yale at all... I would be very very happy with either H or S, and Columbia would be great too :)

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Any other Hispanics in at HYS this cycle?

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Or any other Hispanics who felt they got a boost at the T10?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Do Cuban Hispanics get more of a boost than South American Hispanics? Or are we non-URM Hispanics all in the same boat?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Do Cuban Hispanics get more of a boost than South American Hispanics? Or are we non-URM Hispanics all in the same boat?
Pretty sure we're all in the same banana boat.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Haha chimp, I like the banana reference. You should insert the word banana into all your posts. :D

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Found this thread useful earlier in the year, bumping it for some discussion. I'll be posting my results in here as well

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”