Diversity statement HELP!! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
liltay357

New

Diversity statement HELP!!

Post by liltay357 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:09 pm

So you need a diversity statement as well as a personal statement to apply to most schools? I had planned to incorporate some diversity elements into my personal statement. Do most competitve schools ask for both?

Thanks!

whirledpeas86

Silver

Re: Diversity statement HELP!!

Post by whirledpeas86 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Actually, quite the opposite. I don't know of any schools that *require* a diversity statement. However, if you've got any reason to write one, it seems like it would a good idea to go ahead and write/submit one. It helps you stand out from other applicants, illustrates more than checking a box how you would contribute to the school's diversity, and gives them another chance to see your writing skillz. I've seen diversity statements related to both URM status, as well as economic background, cultural upbringing, and basically anything else you can think of that would set someone apart.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm

No school that I know of requires it. Some schools require an optional essay of which a DS is one possibility (along with things like Why X, 5 Year Plan, etc). For most schools it is an optional essay that you may include if you desire. If you can write a good one include it, if you can't then don't as no essay is by far better than a crappy or even mediocre essay.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 pm

My Personal Statement encompasses the diversity I would contribute. Is that OK to include in a personal statement?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:10 am

masterthearts wrote:My Personal Statement encompasses the diversity I would contribute. Is that OK to include in a personal statement?
Yes, that is definitely okay. I know there are some TLSers who have been very successful incorporating it all into one essay.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”