Sort of a what is my chances? thread, but not really. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Rawlberto

Bronze

Sort of a what is my chances? thread, but not really.

Post by Rawlberto » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 pm

I am a Mexican-American and will be completing my undergraduate with a 3.3/3.4 with an addendum (my grandmother, my grandfather, a close uncle, and my father passed away during my undergraduate degree). I aim to receive a 165 (hitting 158 with two months to go). I was wondering if with my numbers I had a realistic (say 30-40% chance) opportunity to get into a lower end T-14 school?

I attempted to look for similar numbers for low end T14 schools on LSN, but did not find many Mexican-American URM applicants, mostly AA URM applicants. I know hypotheticals are generally disliked, but having a sense of what your potential ceiling is can serve as a great motivating tool. At worst, my getting a mid 60s score will net me some decent scholarship money for an in state school (ASU or UA).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Sort of a what is my chances? thread, but not really.

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Mexican-Americans tend to get larger URM boosts in the north and east because fewer of them are applying there compared to, say, CA and TX schools. Right now your highest priority is getting the highest LSAT score possible, but a mid-160s or higher opens you up to many Tier 1 and possibly even T14 schools, especially with a well-written addendum such as the one you describe. 170+ almost certainly gets you scholarships at T14s.

Good luck.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Re: Sort of a what is my chances? thread, but not really.

Post by Rawlberto » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Thank You Vanwinkle, you continue to be my favorite TLS poster who is also a Texan Hammer. A rare feat!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”