Help on Diversity Statement topic! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
trudat15

Silver

Help on Diversity Statement topic!

Post by trudat15 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 pm

So I have two ideas for a DS. One that is basically written - about growing up Asian in a white community and the effects of trying to "eliminate" my asianness to try and fit in (then about the realization of who I was). It's about 570 words.

I have another idea for a DS, but it would play more like a list and I dont really know if it works. I havent written it yet, but I am very different than almost all law school applicants. Unlike many I've - lived in Asia, produced a movie, started a company, lived in a senior citizen condo taking care of my sick grandpa (was the only one under 55 there), worked as the "real life Lloyd" (in entertainment for a crazy agent boss), became a bartender and intern as I "pursued" my dream, etc. I'm also non traditional in the sense that I'm old. Will be 31 when I start LS.
I think all these experience have really shaped who I am and what I can bring as far as a diverse outlook to the LS I attend.

Anyways, would appreciate some thoughts on which way you would lean if you were me. Thanks in advance.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Help on Diversity Statement topic!

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm

While those are unique things, I am sure that almost all of them will be covered in your resume so I wouldn't write a DS about those.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:35 pm

bk187 wrote:While those are unique things, I am sure that almost all of them will be covered in your resume so I wouldn't write a DS about those.
Hmm. Most of those things would be on there, good point. A few things wouldnt, but I could easily add those things in.

Another quick question if you will - my other DS is 570 words, 1 and a third pages with Times/11pt. I've heard conflicting things about DS length, and one of the reasons I was contemplating the "unique list" DS is because I can obviously make it very short.
I'm hearing either - 1 page max or 1-2 pages. Thoughts?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Most schools ask for a DS of a page, but look at the individual requirements by each school. Off the top of my head some exceptions are NU (2 paragraphs, which I just melded my 4 paragraph one page essay into 2 paragraph one page essay) and GW (300 or 350 words? I can't recall but something like that).

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:28 pm

bk187 wrote:Most schools ask for a DS of a page, but look at the individual requirements by each school. Off the top of my head some exceptions are NU (2 paragraphs, which I just melded my 4 paragraph one page essay into 2 paragraph one page essay) and GW (300 or 350 words? I can't recall but something like that).

Thanks. Reading some of the DS samples on this site, I dont know how anyone was able to fit it all on a page!

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 pm

I think your first idea sounds like it would make for a good diversity statement. As for your second idea, I think if you pick even a few of those things to talk about, or find someone sort of unifying thread that ties them all together, I think it would make a really compelling personal statement! I'm not sure that you can do all of your experiences justice by trying to cram them all into your diversity statement. The length of the DS you've already written can be edited down with a little work, so I don't think that should be a major issue.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”