Question on how law schools will view me Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
keeran23

New

Question on how law schools will view me

Post by keeran23 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello all,

I am just wondering how you think law schools will look at me in terms of URM, or just someone who brings a lot of diversity. I am part South African (black) and part Indian (not native american). In my personal statement I express the fact that I have family in both of these countries and how I spent numerous summers traveling between the two gaining lots of multicultural experience. The "but" in all this is that due to some personal family conflicts that took place before I was born, my parents have claimed me as Indian on paper. Accordingly, I checked Indian or Asian-American (whichever showed up) on consequent tests and applications (SAT and undergrad applications).

Do you think I will get some sort of boost in admissions in terms of URM? Or just a diversity boost?

This has been bothering me as I am trying to figure out what my chances are at the law schools of my choice. Just to give an idea, my UGPA is a 3.4x and my LSAT practice test range is 166-172 so far.

Oh and UCLA is my number one choice and I plan on applying ED.

Thanks!

merichard87

Silver

Re: Question on how law schools will view me

Post by merichard87 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm

You can check Black/African - American AND Asian/Indian on your apps and take your chances there but from your post it seems that you have been identifying as strictly Indian so you may face an issue when applying for the Bar and going through Character and Fitness. A diversity statement is definitely your best bet. You may still get a URM boost so spread your applications out throughout T1 and maybe T2.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”