Native American boost? 2.85/165 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dali

New

Native American boost? 2.85/165

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 am

Native American with tribal affiliation- Choctaw. First in immediate family to attend college. Adopted by grandparents. Both biological and adoptive father passed away during college time frame.

Tentative list:

Reach: NYU, Vandy, Cornell, U Penn
Competitive: Fordham, Notre Dame
Safety: George Mason, Wake Forest, Brooklyn, Rutgers-Newark

Thoughts? Additions to list? I am interested in T20 with a strong interest in diversity, but not sure which schools give more of a boost

Also, I am a direct descendant of Greenwood LeFlore- the son of a French trader who married the chief's daughter, he became a chief as well and oversaw the tribe's displacement into Oklahoma. Point is, I look European (see avatar) will this affect my interview with Vandy?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Native American boost? 2.85/165

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:15 am

Will looking European affect your Vandy interview, is that what you are asking?

Where do you want to work?

I thought you said you couldn't apply to more than 5-6 schools? (Which is kind of strange considering the fact that you got a full ride to your UG.)

Your reaches are too high. All schools are interested in diversity and pretty much all of them will give you a boost. Focus on schools that are more likely to accept sub-3's (UVa, WUSTL, etc).

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:17 am

dali wrote: I look European (see avatar) will this affect my interview with Vandy?
I don't think that looking European will have any negative effect at potential interviews for law school admissions, since you seem to know about your heritage and have a tribal affiliation. As for your cycle, URMs typically have difficult to predict cycles, none more so than Native Americans because there are so few applicants to draw conclusions from. You should therefore case a pretty wide net, i.e. the number of match schools that you apply to should be way more than 2. I'm not an expert on URM applicants, but if I were you I would definitely add more of the lower t14 just in case any of them were hungry for Native American applicants.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:29 am

If that is you, DAMN.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 am

LLB2JD wrote:If that is you, DAMN.
more like DEEEEEEEYYAAMMMMMMM

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 am

No body shot makes me wary.

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 am

bk187 wrote:Will looking European affect your Vandy interview, is that what you are asking?

Where do you want to work?

I thought you said you couldn't apply to more than 5-6 schools? (Which is kind of strange considering the fact that you got a full ride to your UG.)

Your reaches are too high. All schools are interested in diversity and pretty much all of them will give you a boost. Focus on schools that are more likely to accept sub-3's (UVa, WUSTL, etc).

I'd prefer to work in NYC, but if necessary would be willing to work somewhere else if it would mean a higher paying job, and most of my family lives in the northern VA/DC area. I do need to narrow this list down to 5-6- even though I have no debt, I am also unemployed and have no money/relying on family contributions for applications. How do I figure out which schools are more likely to accept sub-3's?

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:34 am

rad law wrote:

LOL!! that is messed up! I am NOT fat, if that is what you are implying- the pix have to be cropped to fit the avatar req's

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:38 am

dali wrote:
rad law wrote:

LOL!! that is messed up! I am NOT fat, if that is what you are implying- the pix have to be cropped to fit the avatar req's
Haha didn't say you were or weren't. Just that without more pics, impossible to know, duhhhh

Or as people normally say around here, pics or GTFO!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am

idk if it's cool to bring the poster's attractiveness, whether or not its true into the conversation, at least not publicly.

i think being NA will give you a huge boost. there are not too many NA's in the US, and there certainly are not too many applying to law school. i think law schools like they should, feel a sort of pressing need to help transition NA's into the legal profession because they were arguably the most persecuted minority in the history of our country.

i don't think any of your schools are reaches, and as bad as this might sound, schools do want to have their token NA student in each matriculating class if they're not too far off the #'s. i think all of these schools are possible.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:41 am

dali wrote:
rad law wrote:

probably skeptical that it is really you in your avatar without any body shots...could have just taken that pic off google or something...so take the comments as a compliment, these guys saying your hot.

Come down here to ASU, we have a great native american program ;)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:41 am

justadude55 wrote:idk if it's cool to bring the poster's attractiveness, whether or not its true into the conversation, at least not publicly.
People used to post pics of themselves all the time around these parts. It's no big. No one cares.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:42 am

rad law wrote:
dali wrote:
rad law wrote:

Haha didn't say you were or weren't. Just that without more pics, impossible to know, duhhhh

Or as people normally say around here, pics or GTFO!
+1. Pics or it didn't happen.

Also, take Notre Dame off your list and add GULC.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:42 am

Come visit WUSTL.

YOU CAN STAY AT MY APARTMENT AND MAYBE AFTERWARDS WE CAN GO TO LUNCH.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 am

are people in law school really that desperate for women???? shouldn't it be pretty easy????

anyway, it's kind of strange your profile says no ethnic minority and now you're claiming to be the holy grail of all law school URM's.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 am

I'll be helpful.

Advice? Retake. Get into some rad schools. Seriously.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 am

dali wrote:
rad law wrote:

This thread has potential

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 am

Is there a Ms. TLS pageant?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 am

dali wrote: Also, I am a direct descendant of Greenwood LeFlore- the son of a French trader who married the chief's daughter, he became a chief as well and oversaw the tribe's displacement into Oklahoma.
Don't you mean John Smith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_e ... re=related
justadude55 wrote:are people in law school really that desperate for women???? shouldn't it be pretty easy????
Umm, wait til you get to law school and you can laugh at this post. One of the 2Ls at WUSTL told, "You will never watch as many guys try to get laid and fail as you will in law school." So far, that has been true.

Also, you're talking about rad here... lol @ rad getting laid.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:54 am

romothesavior wrote:
justadude55 wrote:are people in law school really that desperate for women???? shouldn't it be pretty easy????
Umm, wait til you get to law school and you can laugh at this post. One of the 2Ls at WUSTL told, "You will never watch as many guys try to get laid and fail as you will in law school." So far, that has been true.

Romo quit cockblocking. Some bro you are.

But srsly yeah, lawl school is filled with awkward dudes who all want the same like 25 or so cute girls. Weirdness ensues.

dali

New

Post by dali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:55 am

Or as people normally say around here, pics or GTFO![/quote]

+1. Pics or it didn't happen.

Also, take Notre Dame off your list and add GULC.[/quote]

why no notre dame? gulc is a good call, i have a family friend who went there for law & now does interviews for the undergrad program. i was thinking maybe drop wake/rutgers (brooklyn/gmu have no app fee) but i dont want to be overly ambitious and end up with no acceptances

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:58 am

dali wrote:Or as people normally say around here, pics or GTFO!
Last edited by LLB2JD on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 am

Emory would love you. The job scholarship money is great, the job prospects are better, and there's a guy going there who looks like an indie James Bond only more attractive. I think I could set you two up for dinner and he could show you around Atlanta in his Italian automobile.
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 am

Well, pics or that isn't you.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 am

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Romo quit cockblocking. Some bro you are.

But srsly yeah, lawl school is filled with awkward dudes who all want the same like 25 or so cute girls. Weirdness ensues.
25? Vandy must be the hottest law school campus in America.

Actually, WUSTL does pretty well for itself. Although one of the cutest girls has not been in class the last few days, making me wonder if she decided LS wasn't for her. Sad day.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”